Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'98 Legacy Maintenanc/Repair Question

Two days ago, I drove my '98 Legacy L through a flooded street (unavoidable). Within a mile or so, the check engine light came on and the engine began to sputter. Accelerating from a stop became difficult.

Since that time, the engine has begun to sputter less and the acceleration has improved, but not to the point of normal.

1) Can anybody offer any suggestions for a fix?

2) Will the fix reset the check engine light and, if not, is there a way to do that at home? (We had the knock sensor replaced two years ago and I seem to recall the check engine reset procedure was complicated.)

Many thanks in advance.

how deep was the water. Did the car stall in the water at any time?

Basically you have water someplace the car doesnt like. The lowest thing would be the 02 sensor. Next thing to be upset would ignition wires at the plugs, then it could be any number of sensors after that.

How many miles on the car

When was the last time it had new wires on it.

Can you get the codes pulled from an auto store.

Fresh or salt water

nipper

how deep was the water.

halfway up the wheels or so, but flowing and splashing

Did the car stall in the water at any time?

No

How many miles on the car

Can you get the codes pulled from an auto store.

Looks like I may have to.

Fresh or salt water

Fresh rain.

Thanks again for your time and input.

I think you only need to take the battery cable off and leave the hood open for a while it will dry then run fine and the light will be off, after putting cable back on. This happens often after washing engine with hose or at car wash. you might want to take the plug wires off and dry the plugs and the end of wires.

Two days ago, I drove my '98 Legacy L through a flooded street (unavoidable). Within a mile or so, the check engine light came on and the engine began to sputter. Accelerating from a stop became difficult.

Since that time, the engine has begun to sputter less and the acceleration has improved, but not to the point of normal.

1) Can anybody offer any suggestions for a fix?

2) Will the fix reset the check engine light and, if not, is there a way to do that at home? (We had the knock sensor replaced two years ago and I seem to recall the check engine reset procedure was complicated.)

Many thanks in advance.

After you get the codes pulled and see what it is for.. (sounds like a misfire caused by a water short, etc..) and need someone to work on it.. I can help you out. You may just need new spark plugs / spark plug wires. I drove my 98 GT through washes up to and above the headlights before... I was putting H2's to shame in my sedan!