Ultimate Subaru Message Board

90 Legacy Wagon 5spd AWD 180,000 miles

I bought a car recently that had a noise that was present whenever you took your foot off the clutch. But when you push the clutch in, the noise dissappears. I was told by the owner that he thought it was the throw out bearing and I guess I just never gave it much thought.

Another guy told me today that it's not the throw out bearing because that makes noise when the clutch is pushed in, not when it's out. Which makes sense, now that I think about it.

My question is, what could the noise be then? Probably the transmission, right? But what in the transmission? Is it safe to say I am in the market for a different tranny(not a new one lol a junkyard near here has amazing prices and everyone goes there and it happens to have several Legacy Wagons)?

http://www.altostandard.com/instruct1.htm

a good description of sounds. Also one more possablility is that the throw out bearing is loose on the clutch fork and rattling around.

http://www.procarcare.com/includes/content/resourcecenter/encyclopedia/ch20/20TSclutch.HTML

Do change the lubricant. Could be a tired pilot bearing.

nipper

subaru manual trans have low failure rates, so i'd guess it's something clutch related as well. doubtful you need a trans. i'd change the trans fluid for giggles. then i'd look at the clutch cable. after that you probably need a clutch change, new pilot bearing, throw out bearing and retaining clips and grease the necessary areas.

When I first bought my 5 yr old used 96 Legacy, there was a constant vibrating noise whenever the clutch pedal was not depressed. Just a light pressure on it stopped the sound.

It turns out that a bearing was bad, and it had damaged a part of the transmission such that they had to replace the transmission. Glad it was under warranty. I do not recall the actual bearing or part that was worn, but per the shop it was part of the transmission and not easily replaceable.

Maybe someone else knows what it was??

Matt

P.S. This was 5 yrs ago, and I am not an Elite Master of the Subaru Transmission, so bear with me...

My vehicles anger me. They always demand the most work! I won't even begin to get into the long list of repairs I've gone through with my truck alone and then came my automatic 90 leg wagon and now this 5spd 90 leg wagon comes along with more problems!

If I replace the tranny in this car, it'll be the second tranny that I had to replace in two subarus...that's 2 for 2! Plus the clutch is not very good in this subaru.