Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone Try LED Bulbs?

I bought an LED Bulb for my dome light (I figured that in case I forgot to shut it off, I'd never drain the battery). And i have to admit, it's kinda cool. In my visit to the junkyard the other day, I snagged an extra dome light, and I'm wiring it up above the cargo area, close to the rear, so that they both go on at once and give me lots of light.

I have been considering getting some more of these - for the side markers, and maybe MAYBE some fogs. Anyone have any experience with these? I have read in a dew places that sometimes there's not enough draw in something where a relay is ivolved, but there are plenty of places to put them that don't use relays (in my Loyale, I count like 6).

Just curious ... LED Fogs sound cool, but I wonder how much light they actually put out.

Yeah - I'm thinking all the front corners (4 bulbs) and side markers in the rear (2 more), plus dome (1), Reverse (2) , and basically all the 1156s (I think there are 6 in total).

THAT might be a little pricey, but might be cool.

The shop calls for a "Map Light" and a "Dome Light" as 2 different things ... anyone know what a Map light is? ...

Just curious ... LED Fogs sound cool, but I wonder how much light they actually put out.

LED fog lights are not what you may think. Since I live here in Japan, I have lots of access to these types of lights and also other types of LEDs. Anyway, the LED fogs are marker lights, meaning they are more like a safety light than a functional fog light. The Japanese use these on their road safety, construction, and also utility vehicles(on front and rear) to prevent people from running into them while doing work during low visibility and lighting conditions. Unless you find an LED fog light setup that contains some LUXEON K2(6.5watt) LEDs, I'd stick with incandescent bulbs or even High Intensity Discharge(HIDs) bulbs as they will have more useable light.

Also, I have an LED bulb in my Starlet Glanza V's domelight that has something like 12 LEDs. Needless to say, this bulb will be coming home with me to go into my GL-10. It is bright as who knows and what did it!