Ultimate Subaru Message Board

dual carb intake made ez proto type

7point62fmj

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=12832&cat=500&ppuser=17621showphoto.php?photo=12832&cat=500&ppuser=17621

I have been thinking about this for a few days now and wanted to get some feed back.

The reason I think this would be a good Idea is

1. the dual carb intake is larger and has better flow

2. you dont have to mess with the dual carb linkage

3. if I go with a q-jet carb I can tune it and actualy find parts for the carb.

No one seems to have a good pick of the dual carb intake on a usdm ea81 motor but on the other hand I know there are alot of guys on the board that has this intake.

So what do you think?

here is a real real rough side view of the intake.

showphoto.php?photo=12833&cat=500

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=12833&cat=500

I know this intake will not clear the hood but we all need a reason the build a hood scoop.

My biggest concern is making the linkage work and the impact of the carb being so high off the motor.

maybe Scott (sjr) coold make one.

I know I could probbaly make a prototype.

it may give better flow characteristics going in to the dual carb manifold like that .but,you also have to consider that two webers would provide more fuel than one q-jet.and jetted properly they would ************in rocket on an ea81.the q-jet is a pretty picky carb man,if you picked it because you know it then,i'll shut up.but if you picked it because it is so common then and easy to find,well...you might want to talk to some older cats that have run it for 20 some years.i would not use that carb to save my life.i would go with a smaller holley or weber.yournot gonna use all those cfm's anyway.it will be a waste of fuel,and money.

People have modded the SPFI intake as it seems to be the best flowing of the single port head intake manifolds. The EA81 D/C flows probably about the same - the manifold isn't so much the problem as the heads and valves. The D/C heads have the same valve arrangement as the EA82, Larger valves, different cam, and dual exaust ports too.

The best setup would really be to just slap two carbs on - one on each head. Much easier to fab the "manifold" as there wouldn't be one - just two carbs, and a cross-over vacuum hose to equalize pressure. WAY easier to cast or mill, and you just need a hose for the coolant passage. Plus it all fits under the hood. If you are going to the trouble - thats the way to go IMO.

GD