Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hmm, one rear tire touches the wheel arch, the other one not...

Last Saturday I finally managed to install my new 195/50 R15 "tires" and now I have a really big problem with the rear wheels:

On the driver side, everything is fine, but on the passenger side, the tire touches the wheel arch when the suspension is really strained and the metall damages the tire.

Today I have measured the distance between the tires and the chassis and my passenger-side tire is about 0.5 to 1.0 cm more distant from the chassis then my driver-side tire. I've also measured the distance betwenn the tires and the brakes and they're identical. So the whole wheel with brakes and so on is more distant! That's bad...

The question is: Why is this so and - more important - how can I change this?

I hope you understand what I mean? My english is not soo good... :(

Not as far as i know. And it doesn't look so. I have also measured the distance between the wheel arch and the suspension strut and this distance is also identical on both sides, so it seems that averything is allright with the wheel arches... *shrug*

maybe someone slid into a curb or rock or something and bent the control arm or something causing the camber to be off by a bit? notice any odd wear in your last set of tires? I didnt exactly have that problem on my lifted wagon w/ 29" tires, well cause it was lifted, but you can visibly tell that one tire has more negative camber than the other(cause of the lift and giant tires).

Sounds like you have a case of old car saggy suspension starting.

The problem sounds like it might be made worse by aftermarket / non subaru wheels.

Soobs have a funky offset. Even using Stock Subaru Wheels after my 5 lug conversion, I had to roll the rear fender lips. Have you considered that as an option?

Of course there is some rust (you will never see an EA81/82 in Germany without rust), but nothing serious! The whole car is in general in a very good condition.

Hmm, I think I will also roll the fender lips to conceal the whole mess. Next year I have to make a refurbishment of the whole car because the general inspection has to be made and then I will check this odd thing in-deep. With my winter tires (175/70 R13) it's not important and hmm, it's only two months away.

Thanks for all answers and ideas!

my right rear coil spring is more worn out than the left because a third passenger always sits behind the passenger seat.

good thought.

stickedy, you could swap the rear struts side to side, and see if the problem moves with it...

Of course there is some rust (you will never see an EA81/82 in Germany without rust), but nothing serious! The whole car is in general in a very good condition.

Hmm, I think I will also roll the fender lips to conceal the whole mess. Next year I have to make a refurbishment of the whole car because the general inspection has to be made and then I will check this odd thing in-deep. With my winter tires (175/70 R13) it's not important and hmm, it's only two months away.

Thanks for all answers and ideas!

If there is any rust at all to the inside front of rear tires, it needs a serious fix right away. It starts with a little hole towards the bottom front inside of the wheel well. To catch it then could save it possibly, but even then, keep a close eye on it. Once open the cancer sets in fast...Next step is catastrophic, unexpected. I just looked at one today! The owner just last year put in a clutch and it was inspectable. One short winter later, the rear tires are rubbing the wells and rust is falling off like shattered glass- unibody deemed useless.Doubt it before having faith in it, you will be much safer to do so.:burnout: