Ultimate Subaru Message Board

missing ported vacume barb on old Weber

Thought I'd start a new thread on this to thank GD and let anyone who was following in on how it all came out.

I jumped in on a thread regarding timing EA-82's, and reported that I too had been running the vacumume advance hose off the manifold. In my case it was because I mistakenly believed that my Weber had no ported vacume for the advance. General Disorder insisted that I MUST have one, and helped me to identify where it should be. Turned out, the barb, or fitting was missing, but the port was there, I just didn't realize it, or know where to look.

The area is so low on the front of the carb, and difficult to access because of the power steering pump, I pulled the carb this morning, cleaned out the recess, and sure enugh, a tiny hole through the carb, just above the throttle plate, just like he had said! I had no idea how a fitting for the hose was supposed to attached, but I came up with a small roll pin the correct diameter, compressed it, stuck it in, and theres the barb for the hose!

I was getting ready to reinstall the carb, when it vaguely dawned on me that a year ago, when I got the carb and put in a rebuild kit, that I hadn't quite got the jets right, but it ran, and I had let it go. This morning I couldn't remember for sure, but I thought that way back then, I had discovered that the mains, as the carb had came to me, were 140 prime, and 135 sec.

So off with top of the carb. Yup, 135 and 140.

So--I phone the local parts house, and lucky me, he had a 140 main. Borrowed the wifes car, ran in to town, got it installed, and started reinstalling the carb.

It wasn't long before I got reminded of the jury rigged throttle cable bracket I hacked together when I first did the weber conversion, and that it was falling apart, leaving a bit of slack in the cable, thereby only utilizing maybe 75% of the availiable throttle. So, a new proper bracket needed to made. I was already greasy, so now was the time. Hmmn, where to start. Maybe under the hood of the the EFI parts wagon behind the shop? Why not, have a look. Hmm, that bracket for the throttle body looks to have some potential, needs some custom bending in the vise---------

Yup that's it! A new custom bracket installed. No more slack in the cable! No more electrical tape holding it together.

Buttoned everything up, fired it up---------sounds like crap! Oops, forgot to cap off the vacume barb on the manifold that I was using for the advance! Better----

Retimed it, it was off considerably, not sure why. Set it at 10. Adjusted the carb=======went for a drive------WOW!!! It sounds and feels WAY better! I bet I got 10 15 more horses! (well, ok, maybe 4 or 5) Way better throttle response! Smoother, everything! this car is fun again! Had a bit of ping, backed it off to 8, no ping, no loss of power! Sheesh, I can actually burn rubber on pavement now! (not I can afford to, but holy crap, NO MORE GUTLESS WONDER!!!)

so, it was a combination of things. Vacume advance off the manifold instead of carb. Slack in throttle cable and crappy loose bracket. and lastly, improperly jetted Weber. I'll never know how much of each issue was contributing to the general poor preformance, but one things for sure. Now I know why weberising lifted EA-82's is so popular. I can finaly turn these 27 inch tires.

Thanks USMB and General Disorder!

Pyro

Glad you got it sorted out. The brass hose barb must have fallen out of your's.

When they run right, the weber is a beutiful thing.

GD

yeah, it really is... but when it doesnt, its just as bad if not worse than a hitachi... god darn nissan......

had this weber(missing some throttle linkage parts) on this nissan 720 pickup... it was very problematic and didnt run good at all, so we bought a stock hitachi carb for it, now it runs great, but not nearly as much power as the weber had when it would run good. trade hitachi complexity for webers FUBARB throttle linkage. really depends what you want. In either case, new and complete works best.