Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is it time for new belts?

I'm certainly no expert but that does sound kinda rattly to me. I'm not sure if the belts would do that or not. If I recall correctly there's a certain ammount of cracking in the ribs of those belts that is common/acceptable. I think my Hayes manual has a page on it. I'll check when I get home from work if nobody corrects me by then. What I'm wondering is where all the clatter is coming from. You say the steering pump was rebuilt recently, what about the alternator, A/C compressor or even that belt sheild rattling?

a quick google gave me this page about cracking in serpentine belts: http://cars.cartalk.com/content/advice/drivebelts.html

I'm certainly no expert but that does sound kinda rattly to me. I'm not sure if the belts would do that or not. If I recall correctly there's a certain ammount of cracking in the ribs of those belts that is common/acceptable. I think my Hayes manual has a page on it. I'll check when I get home from work if nobody corrects me by then. What I'm wondering is where all the clatter is coming from. You say the steering pump was rebuilt recently, what about the alternator, A/C compressor or even that belt sheild rattling?

a quick google gave me this page about cracking in serpentine belts: http://cars.cartalk.com/content/advice/drivebelts.html

Its just the video that sounds weird, its super smooth, just theres a odd ticking noise. Not super loud, but it seems like the belts.

aw 10,000km ago the timing belt was done, and the tensioner, and but the idler, good question, i doubt it though. But my dad told me to put soap on the belts and see if the noise go away, think its worth a shot?

If you need a ccessory druve belts, just take them off, start the car, then shut off the car, and install new ones. See if the noise changes.

I guess if putting stuff on the belts helps, it would be likely that chhanging the belt would help. After you put the new belts on, which is easy(and cheap), let us know if it helps. Make sure you don't over tighten the new belts or you may damage the alternator or power steering pump bearings...

Matt