Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Honestly i do !

My freind has a 2004 Forester 2.5L auto base model. Mileage is around 20K.

Twice now he has had WOT happen to him while driving, usually when coming to a stop. He put the car in neutral and it raced right up to redline/fuel cut off.

The car goes in next week to the dealer. I am thinking the IAC is going nuts, but like i have said, this is my weak area :banghead:, especially if there is no codes.

Any ideas?

nipper

"Drive by wire"

Call the dealer and have it towed in immediately. Thats very dangerous and should be covered under 3yr/36k.

is that year drive by wire? i wasnt sure My freind doesnt drive much (his biggest trip was today taking me for painful EMG test).

i'll inform him

nipper

WOW, of course u have friends, and were surprised to see u asking questions. Well the newer cars dont have a carb type fuel injected engine right? No cable i mean. To much electronics, doesnt matter subaru will fix it.

i admit my weaknesses. i'm great at deciphering multiple codes, and single codes. No codes throw me off sometimes.

Unintended acceleration is one of those hard to solve ones. At least he has the inteligence to put the car in neutral and shut it off. On restart the problem goes away. If i could see it happen with my code reader i would have a better idea.

Beisdes ive been an electrical pin cushion today, brain is fried

nipper

Unless they gave the drive by wire to the impreza/forester first, the '04s should still be the normal cable driven throttle.

Maybe something is gummed up where the cables are attached to the intake/throttle body? Or maybe the cruise is causing the cable to jam? I remember an earlier recall for the Legacy's that was for some kind of cruise control cable "clip"...

04 X and XS are Cable Operated ( Forester XT ONLY in 04 was drive-by-wire).

Have the dealer check the Cruise Control Actuator. Under the hood, mounted on the right strut tower on the passenger side. A few of these have been know to fail. Short of that, yes could be IAC or cruise control module (still seperate from the ECU on the 04 X and XS).

05 Foresters all went to drive by wire. Here cruise was integrated into the ECU.

Also a 2004 at 20K should be fully covered by the 3/36 warrenty.

i was thinkin the same thing about the cruise actuator, maybe try pulling its vacuum or plug (whichever its running). does it run fast to redline? because i cant see the iac being able to pass enough air to peg it to redline quickly.

goes right to redline when thrown in neutral

nipper