Ultimate Subaru Message Board

quick brake question

Tosh

The caliper BRACKET is removed with the 2 17MM bolts but the caliper itself will come off with just the 12MM at the bottom. Remove that bolt and it will pivot upward on the pivot pin. (the pin is part of the caliper bracket). You may need to tap on the caliper or pry gently on it to get it to pivot.

Upgraded from my hand to the 5lb rubber mallet with much success. Caliper is off. Wow I had no idea brakes where this easy, or is it just on subarus?

I think I found the source of my problem my brake pad was well it was "stuck" to my rotor. what should mechanically make the pad not be in contact with the rotor at all times? I'm thinking I should inspect whatever part does that.

I'm looking at replacing my pads and rotors now just cause I got it all apart any recommendations on pads and rotors ?

looks like Beck Arnley has vented rotors for around $50 for the front (I think I should replace them the surface is eh but everything else is pretty damn rusty.

any one got any preference on brake pads ? brand or material wise. I might just be paranoid but I'd like to think brakes is an area I'd where money is well spent.

If your car has vented rotors on it now, then go ahead and get the BA rotors. If not, you need to replace the caliper and bracket to put on the vented rotors. I'm using the Bendix pads from Schmuck's, they work ok. No noticable fade, and decently quiet, unless you somehow get a rock trapped in between the pad and rotor.......

Common sticking causes are rust, and seizing. If the pad went all the way down to the metal, and stuck to the rotor, then it's new rotor time, no questions asked. If it was rusted solid to the rotor from sitting, then check the rotor thickness. If it's still above the minimum, then you might be able to get away with machining it back to a smooth surface.

Usually, the pads are pushed back from the rotor face by the lack of pressure keeping them pressed on, and very minute variations in rotor thickness puching the pads and caliper apart as the wheel starts turning.