Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine - 92 Loyale interference engine?

Hi all, first post - awesome site!

Hey, I am likely going to buy a 92 Loyale tomorow. It's in nice shape inside and out and only has 120k on the odometer and the price is right. Problem is it won't start. It was running great when they parked it and next morning nothing. It didn't throw a rod, overheat, Battery's hot, etc. It just won't start.

My main question is - if it broke the timing belt do these bend valves? Is this an interference engine?

I know, that's worse case scenereo, but anything short of that will be a peice of cake to find and fix.

Hi all, first post - awesome site!

Hey, I am likely going to buy a 92 Loyale tomorow. It's in nice shape inside and out and only has 120k on the odometer and the price is right. Problem is it won't start. It was running great when they parked it and next morning nothing. It didn't throw a rod, overheat, Battery's hot, etc. It just won't start.

My main question is - if it broke the timing belt do these bend valves? Is this an interference engine?

I know, that's worse case scenereo, but anything short of that will be a peice of cake to find and fix.

Non- interference engine...check the ditzi..if its not turning the one belt broke...you will want to change them right away anyway..with 120K ..if it had never been done its overdue.

These motors like to tick.( we lovingly call it TOD..tick of Death...dont let the name scare you)..sticky HLAs..we can help ya there once you get it running.

I have 198K on my 92 Loyale and there are people here with WELL over 200K

Non- interference engine...check the ditzi..if its not turning the one belt broke...you will want to change them right away anyway..with 120K ..if it had never been done its overdue.

These motors like to tick.( we lovingly call it TOD..tick of Death...dont let the name scare you)..sticky HLAs..we can help ya there once you get it running.

I have 198K on my 92 Loyale and there are people here with WELL over 200K

THANK YOU Bucky92! That clinches it for me. I'm thinking the same thing. They parked it and on the last rotation it poped the left timing belt. (IIRC the left one is the one that always goes.) I'll check the distributer to see if the rotor is turning. Let me get this thing and you can tell me how to fix the inevitable lifter tick?

Thanks much for the quick response.

They don't always tick. Depends on maintenance. I've seen ones with a little over 100k that ticked something aweful, and I currently own one with 228k and nary a tick to be seen. It's all about clean oil, and good oil pressure.

GD

So I'm curious, the TOD on the hydraulic lifter engines is from sticky lifters always, short of bad oil PSI? What's the awesome cure? Marval mystery oil and frequent oil changes? Seafoam? Synthetic 5W-30?

I've had a bunch of experience with Subaru's, but it was 12-15 yeas ago and honestly haven't touched one since.

It has several causes actually.

One is low oil pressure - usually caused by the pump-to-block o-ring gasket getting hard, or partially getting sucked into the main oil gallery and allowing air bubbles into the oil. The air gets trapped in the lifters.

Another is dirty lifters - not changing the oil often enough or useing poor quality oil will cause the lifters to not fully inflate.

And the last reason is worn lifters - this can become an issue with engines that have been allowed to tick for a long time, or have been run low on oil too many times. The lifters get worn from having air bubbles inside them. At this point, R&R of the oil system, complete cleaning, and replacement of worn lifters is needed to bring them back. Often if the engine is in this bad of shape, the main bearings are probably worn as well. For me, if an oil pump/reseal, and changing the oil several times doesn't do it, I would just find another engine to transplant my new oil pump/seals over to.

GD