Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I bought the Loyale

So, I go to check out the car today, 92 Loyale, $300, and it won't turn over. The seller told me all about the car and that it had been sitting for the last few months because they couldn't get it to start. They put a new battery in it and still couldn't get it to turn over so they were selling it as "not running". Talking to them originally they said that it would turn over but not start, but they don't have the mechanical gene so there terms and mine were aparently different.

I pulled my truck up to it and hooked up my cables so I could at least see if I could get it to turn over, maybe build oil pressure and see if I could hear any nasty sounds. I had the seller hit the key and it cranked for about 1-1/2 seconds and sparked at the batt cable where it goes into the clamp at the battery........ and fired right up! Engine sounds just fine, very light TOD, smooth and quiet, charging fine. It needs a positive batt cable. Flippin awesome.

So I looked at the seller and she had a funny look on her face and I knew what was coming next....... "well now it's running, it ought to be worth more, how about $400?". My reply "nope". (Remember, 5 minutes ago it was $300 and I'M the one that made it run.......). We talked a few more minutes and she came back with "how about $350?". I thought about it for a minute or two and told her yes. I could be a fool and let this sweet and clean little car get away for pride, or hand her $350. I handed her $350. The way I see it is when I showed up I would have had to troubleshoot the car anyway, there could have been a couple of hundred dollars worth of engine work to do, and it was an unknown. As it sits I have to buy a batt cable and go through it with maintenance. I think I got a good car for a good deal.

Hell, she should be paying YOU the $50 bucks! She would have paid a mechanic more than that to get it started, plus the tow, etc.

So in principal, you got ROBBED! Hehe. But in reality, you got it for a STEAL!

How's the body? Interior? Make us all jealous! heheh,

If the rest of the car is good, you still did OK. I need to find one of those, since State Farm totalled out my 93 after getting rear ended a couple weeks ago and today's the last day for my POS Pontiac from Enterprise (hate to think about filling the tank up later:eek:). Luckily, a friend's going to let me use one of his spare subes for a few days, so I can keep looking, lol.

ogiesdad: check the for sale forum.. i know theres a gl10 turbo in richmond VA that needs headgaskets and a tranny, and the guy has new HG and a tranny, for i think 500 bucks. i REALLY want to buy the car myself but add at LEAST a $400 tow job onto that to get it to sofla.. aint happening any time soon. sorry to threadjack, but i thought id help two different members of the forum.

EDIT

heres a link to the ad

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=54255

The car seems to be just a really well taken care of original stock 92 Loyale with a bad batt cable.

The body's in fine shape, a couple of small door dings and that's it as far as I could find. Kinda' a dark gray metalic color and the paint looks good. I think a wash/wax would do it wonders but even dusty the paint had good gloss to it and there was no aparent fading.

The interior is also in great shape for a 14 yo car. The interior is kinda' a medium blue cloth and there was no rippage that I found, at least with a quick look. Not smelly-bad or stained up or torn up. The stereo is the original radio-only.

It needs tires so that's a right away thing. Maybe I should post a different thread but what is the maximum tire size I can run on this without hitting the wheelwells when turning? Stock size is 175-70, can I stuff 185's or 195's, or 195 - 60's or something in there to get a little bit more tread on the ground? I need to buy winter tires as this is going to my daughter in Spokane and it's coming on winter.

i switched over to 185-70s and there was a dramatic difference in handling. clicky for tirerack.com's cheapest, and best wet performing 185-70 at 34 bucks apiece, plus shipping. i live in florida so snow is no concern to me.

185's will fit fine. Some models come with them stock.

Those particular Kumhos are very similar to a set that came on one of my Kias (2002 Optima LX 4-cyl) that absolutely sucked in the snow. They were, however, very good in the wet, so I can confirm that.

sadly, Spokane can get quite a bit of snow, slush, and ice during the winters. I'd suggest a Toyo 800 series touring tire... their dry handling may suck, but their wet/snow handling is great.

i actually just did some deeper research on tirerack.com (i have never really surfed the site too much.. ive been in the "used tire" tax bracket for too long...) and I found that a 185-60r13 is the same diameter as the stock sized 175-70s that came on my GL10 (and i would have thought most EA-82s/older gen soobs??) so the 185-60 puts more rubber down there at the same diameter for speedo purposes...

Thanks all!

daeron - I buy all my tires from Tirerack.com and have big-n-nasty Kuhmo's on all my trucks. Those work excelent in the snow and ice but are a much more agressive tread big off-road tire. Those ones in the link LOOK pretty good.

Ever Victorious - Really? Those Kuhmos sucked? I wonder if I can get those studded?

I'm definately going with the 185-60 or 70's then. I want the most print I can get.

Now I just need a Soobie nut in Spokane so I know who to call if my daughter gets in trouble with this thing?

I got stung on one of those non-running car deals a few years ago. A guy offered me a fairly nice Honda Accord that wouldn't start for $500 a few years ago. (before I came back to the Subaru fold) I suspected a jumped timing belt, so I changed it right there in front of his house BEFORE paying him for it (bad mistake). It ran fine after about 5 hours work, and then he jacked the price up to $1800(!) My appeals to honor and honesty turned to threats and name-calling, but he wouldn't honor his deal. He did end up paying me for the work, but I didn't get the car. The moral of the story is that if you're going to work magic on a non-runner, do it after you've paid for it and out of the sight of the seller!

Yeah yeah. I know. :) I should have towed it off first. The story could be different though, I could have towed it off and found out that the engine was trash, the tranny was bad etc etc. Considering that all that seems fine the $50 was well spent, even though it was still un-ethical of the seller.

I kind of look at it like the $50 was worth finding out that the rods wern't through the side of the block...........