Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Subaru Impreza RS 2dr 5sp - Using oil... :(

It just turned 100k miles the other day and has been using oil like crazy lately. I run 10w-30 Mobil 1 Synthetic in it so it is rather spendy to keep it topped off. Can i go to using a regular oil? Or is this a no no since it is been using Mobil 1 sythetic since it was driven off the lot.

I heard that synthetic does something to the seals on the engine and you dont want to change to a regular oil as this would mess with it as well...

Subaru does say that it is acceptable for the car to use up to 1 liter per 1000 miles... (?!!!?) That seems ridiculous!

I would say it is using close to that but i have not measured exactly. There is no blue smoke and i took it into subaru and they cannot see ANYWHERE that it would be leaking oil. I have been changing it and the filter every 5k miles as that is what the Mobil 1 says its good for.

Thanks! First post! :)

Welcome.First I would do a compression test to make sure you have a point to start at to make sure you rings are sealing properly.Also has it maintained the same amount of power since you have owned it?Also I might add that you cannot see synthetic oil being burned out the tail pipe.So that is a little tough to tell.

Switch back and fourth all you want. Those oils are quite compatible. I have run dino in my 99 Forester and am currently running Mobil 1 15-50. she uses a fair amount of oil too, at about 129,000 miles I expect it to use a bit. Next time I might try running Havoline dino for a while to see how it works out.

Just for a test I switched to Havoline 5-30 dino for a while. Changing more ofter will be a bit of a pain but the guys on Boboistheoilguy swear by Havoline as being quieter with piston slap.

I ran Pennzoil 10-30 for several years, Mobil 1 10-30 and then Mobil 1 15-50 for a coupple of years.

The Mobil 1 15-50 was the quietest so far. No comments on the Havoline as I just installed it yesterday.

How long has it been losing oil at this rate? Previously, was it losing any between oil changes?

My 96 Legacy 2.2 with 135000 miles never lost any oil until the last 6 months, and currently uses 1/3 qt every 3 months or 3000 miles.

I recently switched to Amsoil 5w30 synthetic, and I am doing an extended drain interval, so I may just be more aware of oil usage, since I am checking more carefully now.

It seems that some engines lose more than others, but it sounds like you are using more than you should. I would look for places of leakage or loss. Check the front oil seals, oil pan, oil pump, filter area, etc. Also, the oil may be blowing past piston rings or valve guides. If it were my car, I would look into it closely, but I wouldn't WORRY about it, take your time and look for these problems.

Also, don't worry about changing from synthetic to conventional oils. There is really nothing to the myths that switching between them will harm your engine. The only part of the myth that has a grain of truth is that if you switch from conventional to synthetic in a high mileage or poorly maintained engine, you may develop leaks, as the synthetic cleans some of the buildup around seals, etc.

matt

@jerry: subaru said they did a bunch of tests on it, not sure if one was a compression test. They had it up in the air and were looking all around under it but said they couldnt see where anything was leaking...

@cookie: good to know that i can switch as at 6$ per quart when it is burning it as fast as it is, it gets expensive.

@dmanaenk & Smpol19: will definately give that a shot too.

@BigMattyD: just started using oil around the begining of summer really... I will keep better track of it and see what happens. Also good to know i can switch to something a bit cheaper...

It seems that the fan comes on a bit more often that it used to as well. I did have a few recall items taken care of on it. Will have to check at home on dates and details...

Our '99 PH I EJ25 drinks the average 30 weight like crazy. It especially likes Mobil 1, though the new formulations are thicker.

In the winter I run a thick 30, German Castrol 0w-30, and it uses about 1 qt/2k.

In the summer I'm using Rotella T 5w-40, and it uses about 1 qt/4k.

Based on my experience your consumption seems reasonable, given the miles and the oil you are using. If I were you I would use a 5w-40 or 10w-40 and see what happens. For temperatures above freezing a 15w-40 is a good choice as well. Also check the PCV as mentioned.

Cookie is my thick oil hero. That's thicker than I'm willing to go.

Yeah but now I'm down to 5-30 dino and so far the Havoline seems pretty good. It really seems quieter but it has not been that cold yet. The other thing is that when the oil gets old my piston slap goes up in volume and I was comparing year old Mobil 1 to brand new Havoline. I had a seal leaking in front and now I'm not seeing a drip with the Havoline either, but I have the underpan off to watch it and that might be making the difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Think i found the right valve for me at autozone... I may see if they have one at Schucks so i can get it and try it today.

PCV valve

And definately an changing the oil today too as i couldnt have topped it off more than 400 miles ago and i checked it and it was barely showing on the dipstick!

@99obw - I may be your new thick oil hero and go for x-60! ;) lol

I think the 10w-40 would be good.

Sure , they sell gennie subie bits. It really is a piece of cake to install in about 10 minutes. I changed mine last year and it seems like I just removed one hose and uscrewed the valve and screwed in the new one.

I'll leave the explaantion to some of these folks who have done a dozen aas I've only done one on a subie.

good to know. I'll take back the one i bought at schucks and get one from these guys.

now to get instructions on how to do it. :)

the how is almost as easy as the where. there is a rubber hose about 1 inch in diameter coming off the air intake and attaching to the left side top rear of the engine (left as you stand and look at the engine.) there is a clamp holding it on to the pcv valve. the pcv may be a little rusted. hopefully by now you have the new one to refer to, this valve is hex sided just below the hose attach point, (looks like a bolt head) and then there are threads, like pipe threads, where it threads into the engine.

disconnect the clamp, remove the hose end, unthread the pcv valve, thread in the new one , re attach the hose and clamp. easy and cheap.

good luck.

• 3 months later...

Yes, definitely use ONLY subaru valves. I've had brand new aftermarket ones cause big time oil burning before.

The subaru ones are only like $12 from the dealer. Unless I'm already ordering some parts from my subaru guy, I don't see it as being worth my time to order one and have it shipped.

we changed spark plugs in my firend's 02 RS and i noticed some oil leakage around the spark plug tubes, on the gromet seals of the valve cover, it has no leaks anywhere else that we have found, its got 83k and using about a quart ever 1.5k or so, i'll have him get a pcv next time we go to the subie lot

When are you losing the oil?

After you change your oil, does it use it the first 1000 miles? Second 1000 miles?

I usually find that when customer do an oil log (checking it every 500 miles) that they find the first 2000 miles hardly any oil is lost, it is after the 2000 mile mark that they see oil consumption. At that time the oil is starting to discolor, and start to burn. I personally would change my oil every 3k with a synthetic blend than 5k with full synthetic. "But opinions about oil are like a__holes, everyone has one"

I see in your other post that you go skiing? Heavy driving like going up to the mountain usually burns more oil than regular city driving. Higher RPMs do push oil pass the rings. My Loyale turbo would not use a drop of oil until 2,000 miles but take it up to the mountain, and I would have to add 3/4 of a quart when I got back. Also heavy winter driving is called extreme conditions, and in the winter you might want to change your oil more frequently.

PCV is also a good suggestion.