Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 turbo fluflutters

The 85 rx (87 motor/)runs strong,and 1500k miles now (since I bought it from nug) I have had no probs.and 4xs killer p/t d/r(l.s.d.)sedan.

Problem is: When I slowly raise the rpms,it has a consistant slight flutters. till about 3000+ and then it goes away.When im driving at or in normal conditions you can always feel it pulse constantly .even when you floor it. I ran Lucas injector cleaner thru, I changed the plugs(old ones had alot of use,but had evedinces of proper burning) no leaks (in dark) on the plug wires, O'reillys gave me a carby cap/rotor so i couldnt change that, but cleaned up the old ones and they looked good.(can still have hidden probs).Some days it still fludders but seems to haul ss alot quicker. my thoughts were (since ive seen the tack jump a few times),that the distributer bushings are wore?,Or possably the injectors/fuel system might need some attention? Im sure alot of you guys will help me figure it out since youve probably been there done that. thanks.mkc

My friend hates accell coils and it has one.(is it the coil)?

P.s. Its been 6 weeks (busy)I want to thank Nug and Meekymoose for all there help in making my 2400 mile r/trip alot easier to get the RX and the wheels home to the ozarks. and tony,those German subaru factory 14s look killer,I have had people ask were can they get a set:slobber: you were right,I (may) never see another set in the U.S.

I reworded my thread because,like a normal person that is not computer/internet experienced,I made a bad choice of words in the discription of my cars most recent need for repair. If any one was rubbed wrong,or hurt by this I offer my apologies.10 people read it before I changed it. good lesson. life has given us all differnt challenges and struggles.

Anyway, whats the answer do you know GD in portland?

:confused: spools and boost 7 lbs every time.Not sure if its a fuel or spark ,or distrib. prob,turbo is fine. its more annoying than anything.it pulses and is especialy noticable in normal conditions like driving at 45 mph under no load,foot barly on the gas 0 vac/0 boost. it has a slight studder.and if i floor it it scrams,but same pulsing.if im under the hood,and use the cable by hand,and slightly raise the rpms slowly it has a slight hesetation till about 3k then smooths out everytime.

• 8 months later...

I don't know if this helps but my rx was having a similar problem. just before it went on to boost it had a surge shutter then cleared up. It almost felt like the clutch slipped then grabbed again. My car also had a crappy idle. It idled really low or at about 1100. Well it turned out to be a leaking injector. Yesterday I replaced all 4 and now it is perfect. Idles is smooth as silk and no more shutter before boost.

well.. dont think this will help but you can use the Nissan Zeeeees lineup of fuel squirters but thats really only if you wana go more boost, and in that case you better get a SFAC to controll it....

Anyways about the problem, I think that it could be a fuel problem or ignition problem.... The symptoms work perfectly in both conditions... this probably wont help either but, if you have a friend with an oscillo scope (hard word to spell) than that would easily and quickly rule out the ignition... but then again so would replacing the injectors.... hope it helps, even a little!

My 86 t wagon does the same thing. Kinda feels like the clutch grabs then lets go then grabs then lets go etc. all the way up to 3400 rpm.

I have an Air/fuel ratio gauge on my car and the surges are timed exactly to the air/fuel ratio. Lean = not so much power, rich=power. After watching this for 3 years this is what I think is going on:

Anything below 3400 rpm the ecu will try to achieve a stoiciometric mixture thus the fuel ratio bounces back and forth between rich/lean giving the power/no power situation. After 3400 rpm the system goes into a power mode and just throws a bunch of fuel at the engine, thus smooth power.

I have just learned to live with it. A new O2 sensor will respond to a change in the fuel ratio faster and will lessen the surges but not completly eliminate them.

Good luck

My 86 t wagon does the same thing. Kinda feels like the clutch grabs then lets go then grabs then lets go etc. all the way up to 3400 rpm.

I have an Air/fuel ratio gauge on my car and the surges are timed exactly to the air/fuel ratio. Lean = not so much power, rich=power. After watching this for 3 years this is what I think is going on:

Anything below 3400 rpm the ecu will try to achieve a stoiciometric mixture thus the fuel ratio bounces back and forth between rich/lean giving the power/no power situation. After 3400 rpm the system goes into a power mode and just throws a bunch of fuel at the engine, thus smooth power.

I have just learned to live with it. A new O2 sensor will respond to a change in the fuel ratio faster and will lessen the surges but not completly eliminate them.

Good luck

I have the same "flutter" of what you might call it, but I have no O2 sensor :rolleyes: so I guess that is not the real reason why it behaves like this

(I have a non-smog controlled EDM version, no cats, no O2, etc.)

I have the same "flutter" of what you might call it, but I have no O2 sensor :rolleyes: so I guess that is not the real reason why it behaves like this

(I have a non-smog controlled EDM version, no cats, no O2, etc.)

Bastard....;)

I have no idea if this has anything to do with it, but it was my understanding that the turbo was the original one with the car, and it's the base engine that was replaced. So the turbo has a quarter million on it.

Although it sounds like others are working on a solution, so that's good.