Ultimate Subaru Message Board

***UP-DATE!***ATV tires RATED @ 925lbs! that's easy to mount! (or NEW 14" holy grail)

FlyB0y

*****UP-DATE!!!**** I just got off the phone with the Kenda ATV tire rep, and she said the site needs to be up-dated!! The first tire listed here: http://www.kendausa.com/atv/radial.html (K537 HD Side-By-Side Bounty Hunter Radial) has a weight rating of 925lbs!! for the rear tires sized 26x12-r14, and the front tire is rated at 770lbs!! and the size is 26x10-r14!!! So!! no more concerns about weight!!:burnout: :burnout: :burnout: ALSO .. I asked her if I could mount said front tires on a 14x6" nissan 2x4 truck rim and she said it should work fine!! :cool: Ok, on my quest to find a schrubery, I mainly only got alot of scratches in the woods, however, I DID find an even better 14" ATV tire!:banana: :banana: :banana: Kenda Makes a 26x10 R14 (That's right radial:brow: ) that is QUITE agressive, comes in a 6-ply and is only $80 ea at the local Polaris ATV dealer!! no shipping even, and they can be installed at a local tire dealer the same as any other (un-like the old style ATV tires of the past) ON THING YOU MUST KNOW ... THESE WILL BE OFF-ROAD ONLY!!!! do NOT use these on the road at anything approching high-way speeds .. they will fail under those conditions. I will be using a second set of rims for these tires and I will swap them out at the trail head once I start. Just wanted to pass this on to ya ... gonna have some pics of some mounted on my brat in the next few weeks! (I hope :D ) depends on how much $$$ it takes to get my legacy sport on the road.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

at 10 dollars more a tire you can get swampers and drive them on the road at highway speeds.

Kenda ATV tire

http://www.kendausa.com/atv/radial.html

Super Swamper

http://www.intercotire.com/site33.php

Hmm... which looks 3x better in mud?

Says they require a 8" wide rim.. Where you getting 14 by 8's? I guess you may get by with 7" wide, using the 72% rule with a little exaduration.

Then all you need is a locking front and rear diff with a 2.2! :slobber::clap: gimme mud :burnout:

regardless of the tread pattern, 10" wide tire vs 8.5" wide, that's the difference between digging through to solid ground and stuck up in the muck.

not to mention 26" tall vs 29"...there's an 1.5" of pure ground clearance.

and then, the lugs are too far apart, with the weight of a car on them, they won't push enough material to maintain any momentum.....

sounds like 3 times to me :D

but then, that's mostly speculation.....I say go for it, and tell us for sure how it all works out. :clap:

I guess I should have looked at the ratings before I posted before.

I really over-estimated the ability of the tires. 440lbs/corner = 1760lbs max for the weight/load carrying ability of these tires and 5 psi is gonna make for a lot of blown beads. Enjoy!!

Kenda ATV tire

http://www.kendausa.com/atv/radial.html

Super Swamper

http://www.intercotire.com/site33.php

If you've ever owned a quad with tires similar to those like I have and owned several sets of Swampers like I have, then you would take the Swampers without even having to think about it.

The bigger ATVs these days sport Super Swampers.

The Super Swamper TSL with the patented TSL tread design offers unsurpassed traction under the toughest of conditions. Nine years of developing and testing produced the ultimate tire tread design.

Quads aren't my thing.. Bikes are. A lot more people here in Australia die from offroad Quad accidents then offroad Bike accidents.

Taken from "14" Off Road Holy Grail!"

Hey Guys This is Jerry, thats the tires that my coworker has on his brat for mud racing. He took third in the 4 and 6 cly class 3 seconds from first place. They are on a 80 brat. Thanks Jerry

Hey Guys This is Jerry, these tires are really great in the mud he didn't have any problems running them in the mud except all the mud that flue every where. Can you say mud shower wow really cool to see. We had to install longer studs and use wheel spacers because os the tires being so wide they hit on the rear trailing arm. The tire pressure was set at 10 psi. If we had to do it again we would get the 9 inch tire not the 11 inch tire that way wouldn't have to use longer studs or spacers. Thanks Jerry

I run my Dirt Devils at 25 + psi!

That's way over the ATV psi recomendations but that's going to keep them on.

Since I welded the diff and put the ATV's on, I have never spun a tire!

Nothing will compare with traction you'll get.

Proof enough for me that they work on Subaru's.

Quads aren't my thing.. Bikes are. A lot more people here in Australia die from offroad Quad accidents then offroad Bike accidents.

Taken from "14" Off Road Holy Grail!"

Proof enough for me that they work on Subaru's.

Naw ... don't burst their bubbles ... let them lose their gearing and lose the ability to effectively pass at highway speeds :-p I already did the swamper route, doesn't work with a EA-81 .. and I'm not really interested in the EJ swap ... too much frankinstien wiring for me ... BTW if you look on the polaris Sportsman 800 that uses the same Kenda tires I am describing, you will find that it has a 6" wide rim, sits just over 26" tall (same hight as the old Cooper Discoverer's that can't be bought anymore) and the actual width of the tread is 8.5" ... It's amazing how much difference there is in a tire that is listed at a certain "width" and the actual width of the tire when mounted ... take this all with a grain of salt ... (or the whole shaker if you need it :D ) please give me a little more credit, I am doing my homework ... and if I am not mistaken, Sweet82's buggy also grossly exceeds the listed weight limit, and he doesn't run his at 5psi, but 25psi and last I heard neither he or Jerry's racing friend has had problems with blown beads :) I'm just not willing to go EJ swap or T-case to get decient gearing, I believe 26" will be more than enough at nearly 4" taller than stock, and very close to stock gearing, I am very comfortable with this combination. :cool:

Naw ... don't burst their bubbles ... let them lose their gearing and lose the ability to effectively pass at highway speeds :-p I already did the swamper route, doesn't work with a EA-81

You say you're just going to swap out the tires when you get to the offroad site. . . Why can't you do that with Swampers?

You can't pass anything on the road with tires you can't even drive on the road. You'll have a hatd time "bursting" my bubbles when it comes to what I know about Super Swampers.

.. and I'm not really interested in the EJ swap ... too much frankinstien wiring for me ...

Not really, it's become pretty simplified. The power is double what you're used to.

I believe 26" will be more than enough at nearly 4" taller than stock, and very close to stock gearing, I am very comfortable with this combination. :cool:

Aren't 185/70/13s about a 23.5? So you gain 2.5 in tire height, which when applied to the heighth you'll gain under your diff is about 1 1/4 inches.

Are you only going to use them in mud? What other kind of terrain?

hey, that was cool meeting you. i bought that brat, and its well on its way to being a mean machine. i wanted to say thanx for the tire info, that really helps. im gonna go get some now. we should go wheelin sometime in the future.

Ok, on my quest to find a schrubery, I mainly only got alot of scratches in the woods, however, I DID find an even better 14" ATV tire!:banana: :banana: :banana: Kenda Makes a 26x10 R14 (That's right radial:brow: ) that is QUITE agressive, comes in a 6-ply and is only $80 ea at the local Polaris ATV dealer!! no shipping even, and they can be installed at a local tire dealer the same as any other (un-like the old style ATV tires of the past) ON THING YOU MUST KNOW ... THESE WILL BE OFF-ROAD ONLY!!!! do NOT use these on the road at anything approching high-way speeds .. they will fail under those conditions. I will be using a second set of rims for these tires and I will swap them out at the trail head once I start. Just wanted to pass this on to ya ... gonna have some pics of some mounted on my brat in the next few weeks! (I hope :D ) depends on how much $$$ it takes to get my legacy sport on the road.

hey, that was cool meeting you. i bought that brat, and its well on its way to being a mean machine. i wanted to say thanx for the tire info, that really helps. im gonna go get some now. we should go wheelin sometime in the future.

It was good to meet you. Next Reiters Pit trip you can follow us into some stuff you'd have fun in the gen one.

My buddy was going to buy the hatch, but I think he's flaking.

I was wondering just how long it would take before I would pop up in this thread. I had been quietly monitoring it and just seeing what people have to say. Having run them for just under 3 years now I have seen many pros and cons to running ATV tires. Lemme share my thoughts on the subject.

Cons;

They ride like hell!

They are an off-road tire.

I don't run them over 20 mph.

They won't fit inside your wheel wells.

You'd need the most plys available at least 6.

Your over stepping the tires recommended weight limit.

You'd have to run a lift to use them as they will NOT clear the fenders.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=7435&cat=500&ppuser=584

Pros;

They look cool as!

They are the most aggressive type of tire. Nothing even comes close.

I've never spun a wheel and consequently I've never been stuck. Yet:rolleyes:

The come in a size that will allow you to keep what little gearing you have.

The Auzzies have been running them for years on off-road Subies.

I've played with tire pressure and never had one peal off or break a bead.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=434&cat=500&ppuser=584

There are many tires choices for Subies. What works for you in your area is probably best answered by you? You can get all the opinions you want but in the end it's all your opinion that matters. In Utah our trails are steep! Gears are critical. Clearance can be dealt with but it's hard to find a substitute for gearing.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=5190&cat=500&ppuser=584

I kept my tires at 26" for a reason and I still can't climb as steep as I could with my 13". Like I could climb that anyway...

Are you only going to use them in mud? What other kind of terrain?
Well, I plan on using it for crawling over obstacles on trails mostly at slower speeds, sort of like "trials" courses (no where near as extream as the "trials bike" motorcycle courses however) I would like to also be able to go out in the mud and snow, but most of the time will just be doing trails. Ok, all I meant by "bursting" someone's bubble, is that some people were saying to make very negitive things to the very idea of atv tires, and that's all I meant. I think swampers are great tires, but for me they just don't work. I didn't mean to give an impression that I was comparing the atv tires directly to the swampers, but I will say in my experiance, the swampers just don't work for me. I would much rather have 2 sets (one for road and one for off-road) so that I keep my stock driving characteristics on-road. The swampers simply compromised too much of both my on and off-road ability. Loss of gearing made my brat less capable off-road, and the height of the smallest swampers made my 5-spd into a 3-spd with 2 "over drives" not to mention the speedo being way off. I have learned however, that I might in-deed have to go with wider rims after all because the tire that will fit my nissan wheels may not have a high enough load rating (I want the highest I can get, and so far that looks to be for 26 X 12 - R14 and the ones I am still researching are 26 x 10 - R14, and have about 65lbs less max load rating at 375 per tire, VS 440 per tire) I will have to see what these Ozzies have done and learn from their experiances. I also conceed that with a 185/70 - R13, the gain in height is much less than 4" .. I always seem to forget to take the high difference between stock & larger tires, then cut it in half :o. Also, I was going off of the understanding that the stock height tires are 22.5" but now I see the height is actually closer to 23.2, so with a new tire at 26.2", I am only gaining 3" total tire height, so 1.5" of clearance. As far as an EJ swap goes, I must confess I am a bit of a Ludite when it comes to losing my carburated push-rod EA-81:-p . I don't want to have to mess with these "new fangled" computer controlled and fuel injected vehicles. I know how to maintain and adjust a carburator, and feel the less computer controll of the engine the better. Yes, I know it means more performance and eficientcy, but that is what I have my legacy sport for :cool: .

I was wondering just how long it would take before I would pop up in this thread. I had been quietly monitoring it and just seeing what people have to say. Having run them for just under 3 years now I have seen many pros and cons to running ATV tires. Lemme share my thoughts on the subject.

Cons;

They ride like hell! Problem Solved!! no more over-loading with tires rated at 770 & 925lbs ea and still 5psi

They are an off-road tire.

I don't run them over 20 mph.

They won't fit inside your wheel wells.

You'd need the most plys available at least 6.

Your over stepping the tires recommended weight limit.

You'd have to run a lift to use them as they will NOT clear the fenders.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=7435&cat=500&ppuser=584

Pros;

They look cool as!

They are the most aggressive type of tire. Nothing even comes close.

I've never spun a wheel and consequently I've never been stuck. Yet:rolleyes:

The come in a size that will allow you to keep what little gearing you have.

The Auzzies have been running them for years on off-road Subies.

I've played with tire pressure and never had one peal off or break a bead.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=434&cat=500&ppuser=584

There are many tires choices for Subies. What works for you in your area is probably best answered by you? You can get all the opinions you want but in the end it's all your opinion that matters. In Utah our trails are steep! Gears are critical. Clearance can be dealt with but it's hard to find a substitute for gearing.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=5190&cat=500&ppuser=584

I kept my tires at 26" for a reason and I still can't climb as steep as I could with my 13". Like I could climb that anyway...

Thanx for the continuing input! I'm going to get some tires here soon and just do some of my own experimentation. :cool: Be sure to check the up-date at the begining of this post for more details ...

I just did the math, and those tires are still only designed to hold about 3300 lbs....isn't that about the DRY, unmodified curb weight of a subaru? not to mention spare parts/tire, gas, passenger(s), bumpers, etc.

it sounds sweet, but I think you might be pushing your luck a bit. But test it out, maybe those numbers are on the conservative side.

not sure what kind of trail riding you're talking about. but I've never wished I'd had more tread (liberator A/Ts or GoodYear M+Ss) while on the trail. even out in the greasier parts of the park, I've still had more than enough traction.

one of my favorite trails:

3242PICT0658.JPG

That is hardly this.

RossmudWCSS3.sized.jpg

or this

EZmudWSCC6.sized.jpg

or this

EZdeepsnowass.jpg