Ultimate Subaru Message Board

does this seem too expensive?

My wife have been looking for a decent commuter for her to drive about 100 miles a day, so we have been looking at Imprezas and Foresters (she is partial to Subarus). Since I have an 86 GL I find that I am more used to cars costing $500 instead of $5000. :confused:

So here is the question. We found a 99 5 speed Impreza OBS with about 70K miles on it at a local dealer. The dealer is offering it with a 25K mile engine and powertrain warranty. The car is listed at $7995. I looked it over pretty closely and it appears to be sound mechanically (although the clutch feel like it is slipping) but it has some unusual issues. First it looks like it had an encounter with a tree. There is a medium sized dent on the pillar above the passenger side rear door. There are also numerous teeth marks on the interior (from a large dog) and most curiously the tail gate is bent at the niges. It looks like the previosu owner backed into something with the tailgate up and bent the hinges. The sales person has said that the tailgate and the dents will be fixed (although I am dubious that they will agree to fix the dents).

Is it just me or does $7995 seem high for that? If so, what would be a more appropriate price?

Kevin

This is from Edmunds, I didn't know the color so i guessed and my zip code and yours will probably amount to a different figure.

National Base Price $4,462 $5,540 $6,662

Optional Equipment $0 $0 $0

Color Adjustment

Dark Blue $-4 $-5 $-6

Regional Adjustment

for Zip Code 19136 $-97 $-120 $-144

Mileage Adjustment

70,000 miles $568 $568 $568

Condition Adjustment

Average $-1,152 $-1,404 $-1,643

Total $3,777 $4,579 $5,437

private trade-in retail

party

I used the average option as far as condition is concerned, if you drop it to rough which it is probably closer to, considering the interior it would be $4,450 retail, so yeah I think he is high. Try printing this out for yourself from the edmunds.com site and bring it to the dealer see what he says :). It always amazes me how they react when as a consumer you are well versed on prices and pricing. Hope this helps. Jay.

it does seem a little high. just play the game, go in with comparisons from other dealers. and also i would deff. use the clutch issue as a big bargaining tool, a dealer isnt going to want to pull the trans, and if you feel like doing it you could save a bunch of cash.

My wife have been looking for a decent commuter for her to drive about 100 miles a day, so we have been looking at Imprezas and Foresters (she is partial to Subarus). Since I have an 86 GL I find that I am more used to cars costing $500 instead of $5000. :confused:

So here is the question. We found a 99 5 speed Impreza OBS with about 70K miles on it at a local dealer. The dealer is offering it with a 25K mile engine and powertrain warranty. The car is listed at $7995. I looked it over pretty closely and it appears to be sound mechanically (although the clutch feel like it is slipping) but it has some unusual issues. First it looks like it had an encounter with a tree. There is a medium sized dent on the pillar above the passenger side rear door. There are also numerous teeth marks on the interior (from a large dog) and most curiously the tail gate is bent at the niges. It looks like the previosu owner backed into something with the tailgate up and bent the hinges. The sales person has said that the tailgate and the dents will be fixed (although I am dubious that they will agree to fix the dents).

Is it just me or does $7995 seem high for that? If so, what would be a more appropriate price?

Kevin

Hi Kevin:

Yea that price is way out of line based on its condition, moreover, I think I would keep looking... I am sure you could find a really nice ( grandma drove it) '99 Subaru for this price range.

Good Luck,

John