Ultimate Subaru Message Board

brake issue

the other half's 89 GL wagon has a little bit of a problem with the brakes.

if you get on them even a little bit hard, they will lock up - kind of like applying the parking brake...if you wait a little bit they will eventually back off enough to drive again, but this is not a good situation.

when we got this car we put in NEW calipers, pads, and rotors along with new flex line on the front end. rear brakes got new shoes. there have been a couple of hard line replacements in the rear as well due to rusted out lines.

Bleeding has been done several times in an attempt to correct the problem - no luck.

any thoughts as to what may be causing the "lock-up"???

I am kind of wondering if it isnt booster related - hard braking causes vacuum loss, and it takes a bit to get it back???

fwiw - vacuum lines have been replaced on this car...

Are all the wheels locking up, or just one?

Jack the car up, hit the brakes to lock things up, and try to spin the wheels. If it's only one wheel, it's either a sticking caliper/wheel cylinder, or a bad soft line (if the inside creates a "flap", it can work as check valve).

If it's all the wheels, it's most likely master cylinder related. If the pushrod on the vacuum booster is extended too far, the master cylinder will not fully release, and you'll get this behavior.

It's also possible that the hill holder is sticking, but that should only affect one wheel.

Find out which wheels it involves, and then we'll go from there.

-=Russ=-

our first thought was parking brake, so we disengaged that at the caliper, same problem...

next thought was the hill holder - except his wasnt hooked up (didnt realise it until we went to unhook it)

not sure if it is all wheels or just one at this time, will have to check into that....

Dumb questions, and I am just the person to ask them!!!:

1) Did you screw the caliper pistons in prior to installing the pads? (Probably not needed with new calipers, but...)

2) When you installed the pads, did you insure that the caliper pistons were lined up so that the pad pin slipped into the piston cutouts? (Horrible things can happen if you don't.)

northwet - only dumb question is the one not asked.

1. yup - they were turned in

2. yup - everything fit properly

his brake job was after doing mine, but I didnt get all the new goodies (I do have new rotors waiting for my next brake job tho), just new pads and bleeding as my car has seen pretty much continuous service where his had sat for a couple (4-5) years before we picked it up - things were a bit rusty on his....ok, maybe more than a bit...