Ultimate Subaru Message Board

16 valves means 4 crazy cams = Crazy power

Of course four cams equals power, at the expense of torque ;) But that's another thread.

But the last time I checked, the EJ22 that's in my Legacy is 16-valve (it's cast into the valve covers), and I distinctly remember only lining up two cams when I put a timing belt on it.

Rumor has it other Subaru 16-valve engines only have two cams as well.

Oh, and Lukas, the AVCS I referenced in my last post is the variable valve timing that we have here in the US. VTEC is Honda's version of variable valve timing.

Interesting that the 2.0R is also an EL20. I wonder if we'll start seeing EL engines soon!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know its not broken in yet (500km), but I think it needs quite a lot of fuel.

I was at the gas station today and I needed 8,66 litres/100km. Thats quite a lot for this little engine. I don´t rev it over 5000 because its not broken in yet. Subaru Austria says it needs 7,9 litres/100km when its broken in.

We will see.

Lukas, happy with his Impreza 1.5R

Lukas, congratulations on the car!

I can confirm for all the non-believers that the EL is a completely new design. The EJ had to bow out because of problems meeting the Euro IV emission regulations.

Equeal length intake runners, and exhaust routing around the front of the engine bay to collect 4-2-1 are the main external differences.

In Europe, 4-cam AVCS is standard across the board.

For those who haven't tried the new engines.....

You might like the power - I do!

But the engine note has changed considerably and that might dissappoint some - me!

The new engines "sneer" more and generally sound more "metallic". Especially above 4000rpm. A more polished, honed and refined sound. Still way better than any other cars in their class, but some of the rumble has been lost.

I'm very interested to hear what sort of sounds your exhaust produces Lukas :cool:

But the last time I checked, the EJ22 that's in my Legacy is 16-valve (it's cast into the valve covers), and I distinctly remember only lining up two cams when I put a timing belt on it.

Rumor has it other Subaru 16-valve engines only have two cams as well.

My legacy is exactly the same, 16-valve engine but theres only two cams. Forgive me for the mini hijack here but do your valve covers have an odd shape with some of the head bolts on the outside?

Anyways really nice car there Lukas, i also think people have forgotten the impreza was designed to be a small economical 4wd not just a sports car.

keltik, I was being sarcastic in my post. bdg73 posted, and I quote, "16 valves means 4 crazy cams," which is entirely untrue, because the majority of EJ Subaru engines, which ALL have 16 valves, are SOHC, meaning they only have two cams.

All your head bolts are toward the ends of the heads :). The middle bolts are only holding your valve covers onto your heads.

Setright, are these new EL engines being used all across Europe? Including England perhaps? What about the turbo cars, are they using new EL-T's, or are they still EJ's?

Your 89 Legacy is a quad-cam? Isn't it an EJ18??

I'd like to see pics if you can get them.

You'll have to excuse me, as I keep forgetting that I'm only giving the USDM perspective and forgetting that there ARE other markets out there :rolleyes:

Also, it seems to be that no EJ20 turbo exists anymore, in new Subarus. They're all EJ25s. I looked on the Subaru UK and Germany website, and from what I could tell, the only turbo engines are EJ25s. All 2.0 engines are nonturbo.

The new EL´s are also used in other markets like japan...

The Impreza WRX/WRX STI and the Forester Turbo have the same 2.5 engine than yours in the US.

Only the N/A versions are EL, they are called "Hochdrehzahl-Konzept" with means "high rev concept". The EL 1.5R redlines at 7000rpm, the 2.0R at 7500rpm.

Maybe these brand new engines are not that useful for your driving in the US, but here in europe they are very much fun. :clap:

All 2.0 engines are nonturbo.

Yes, the EL are nonturbo, the EJ25 is turboed. The Outback 2.5i is the only Subaru with EJ nonturbo engine now. All other nonturbos are EL.

Lukas

Your 89 Legacy is a quad-cam? Isn't it an EJ18??

I'd like to see pics if you can get them.

Ooops i mean theres a quad cam 16 valve sticker on the side of the car.....but ive got those SOHC heads. However i have seen a 1992 EJ18 with quad cam, didnt get any pics of it tho.

I think its about time Subaru dealt out an efficient high revving engine, Honda and Toyota have been doing it for years.

Hmmm. I really should look at the engine block on my 2006 Forester 2.5 XT....it's definitely got new heads compared to the 2004/5 models.

Stroke is longer too, and that means a slightly small bore - giving the headgaskets more surface to seal on. Good news for anyone?

• 3 weeks later...

OK guys, I got my 1.5R 3 weeks ago and I have done 1000 miles so far. We changed the oil the first time yesterday and now I am driving my 1.5R completely normal, no special treatment for breaking in anymore.

What can I say? I am very happy with it, but there are a few things that I don´t like. At first, its fuel consumption is bad. I need 8,8 litres gas on 100km. But I am not driving on highways, I am driving on typical curvy and hilly austria country roads with a lot of accelerating and braking and a lot of hilly to climb. ;)

My dealer said the fuel consumption is getting better with more miles on it, but I don´t really think so.

And on second hand I don´t like its sound. It sounds really "metallic", like setright said before. Especially over 4000rpm. But you are there very often, because it only accelerates good between 4000 and 7000rpm.

Lukas

My father owns a new Legacy... :clap: ... oh, no, its an Outback! :grin:

My fahters bought a new Outback 2.5i with 165 hp in 2005 and his fuel consumption is nearly the same. His Outback 2.5i (EJ25) with manual transmission and dual range needs 9 litres/100 km. But its a lot faster than my 1.5R and of course its also a lot heavier.

But the reason why my 1.5R needs nearly the same amount of fuel than dads 2.5i it clear to me: The drive the 1.5R as fast on our country roads as the Outback, you have to push the 1.5R a lot harder. Nearly every time I want to accelerate, for example from 30 mph to 60 mph, I floor my 1.5R in third gear. Thats not necessary if you drive the Outback.

Lukas

• 3 months later...
And on second hand I don´t like its sound. It sounds really "metallic", like setright said before. Especially over 4000rpm. But you are there very often, because it only accelerates good between 4000 and 7000rpm.

Lukas

Now its got 5000 miles and this "metallic" sound is completely gone. Its much quieter now and the Laser-exhaust produces a sweet roaaaaarrr... :banana: Also the performance got a lot better. But the fuel consumption is even getting worser, because I am using this new extra power the hole time. :grin:

Its a miracle how the 1.5R and 2.0R EL-engines are getting better with every mile you drive. Brandnew they are slow, loud and tired but broken in they rev easily up to 7000rpm, their sound is always getting better and they are getting quicker every mile. You only need patience... ;):clap:;):clap:

Lukas