Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Getting out of the soft stuff

keltik

Well i went out for a little drive this afternoon to try and get some scenic photos as it was a lovely day with little wind. Long story short i got stuck. I wasnt paying enough attention and got bogged in some soft sand, trying to get out i managed to dig the car even deeper into the sand and quickly realised i didnt have a clue what i was doing.

stuck.JPG

Yup open diffs suck, and its my daily driver so its on crappy tires and not lifted. The point is, how should i have dealt with this? After 15 minutes of thinking and getting nowhere i called john (cheers mate).

PIC00030.JPG

As you can see from the marks behind his rx, it took a bit of pulling to get me out. So what could i have done to try and free myself? What do you do in your rigs when your stuck in the mud/sand?

P.S I got some nice photos http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=12940&cat=879&ppuser=17976

Will be picking up a soob in the holidays, then i can do some real wheelin' :grin:

Most of the time I get out and start digging..

But if you just got stuck and haven't dug yourself in to deep you can try using the handbrake as a poor-mans LSD. Pull it on hard and release the clutch, if the car is under lots of strain and not moving with lots of clutch slipping let the handbrake off slightly and slowly till you start to move. It's a hard thing to get the hang of and is bad on your clutch. Also doesn't work with auto's I wouldn't think.

Before you went into the sand, you should have aired down. At least as soon as you started slipping you should have got out and aired down to 10 psi or less. Digging yourself deeper doesn't help as the body will bottom out. And you should know before hand (via testing) what your most effective aired down pressure is.

Being unprepared is the biggest mistake you made really.

GD

Most of the time I get out and start digging..

......... using the handbrake as a poor-mans LSD...... Also doesn't work with auto's I wouldn't think.

Actually, works great with an auto. I have also used a light application of the service brakes along with feathering the gas to get unstuck, but that was in snow with ice underneath.

air down, dont spin

Scoop out hollows in the direction you want to go and throw the floor mats down into the path of the tires. Once you get moving keep going (light throttle, as was said DON'T SPIN). When you're out got back dig up your floor mats, shake the sand offen'em, and put 'em back in the car. Works in snow too.

all the planning and expert driving is no substitute for a back up plan (like a buddy you can call).

floor mats are good, however if you don't want to deal with the dirt branches work (not the greatest, but kinda)

dig a bunch, if you can clear a path for the tires, enough to move the car just a foot can help out a bunch.

if you're by yourself, and there's the chance to get stuck... it's usually best to turn around and go home.

if you're by yourself, and there's the chance to get stuck... it's usually best to turn around and go home.

Thanks for all the advice guys, i think this is one of the best tips. I drove past the same spot today and there was an old fellah stuc in the same spot in his RAV4. So next time i wanna go that little bit further off the beaten track, ill make sure somebodys close by with a Subaru. :grin:

Thanks for all the advice guys, i think this is one of the best tips. I drove past the same spot today and there was an old fellah stuc in the same spot in his RAV4. So next time i wanna go that little bit further off the beaten track, ill make sure somebodys close by with a Subaru. :grin:

Rav 4's suck, but even he could have gone through if he aired down.

GD

I saw these boards at an sand rail shop that looked like extra thick snowboards w/bolts in them. The concept was that once you are stuck, you stick em in front of your tire and drive up on them. The bolts were there for traction. They act as a ramp that should get you back on top of the sand. Dude wanted like $150.00 for them. I figure go to Home Despot and get some 1/2 or 3/4 inch plywood and then throw in some bolts it. Or air down and keep momentum up and don't spin yourself down to the frame.

The exact same thing happened to me a few months ago. Except I had my son (2) with me fussing the whole time.

I stopped before I spun too much and shoveled a path for all 4 tires and tamped it down with said shovel. Luckily I thought to bring a shovel! Anyway I also aired down while it was stuck to increase the footprint. It worked. The key is to not spin after you think you are stuck!!!

rd

Low PSI kicks @$$! :banana:

I got my '85 3/4ton Suburban (6850+ lbs) stuck in soft river bank sand one time, burried down to the top of the pumpkins....

I could barely move in either direction....

Tried digging a path, etc.. but couldn't get moving

Aired down the tires to a low PSI....no gauge on hand, so I just let 'em down until they were really nice a bulgee....

Truck moved about 1 1/2 feet and bascially popped up on top of the sand....:clap::headbang::burnout:

Drove the 100 or so feet back to hard land no problems.....

Only bad part was I had drive about 15 miles back to my house with VERY low tires.....

I don't have my 'burb anymore, but now I carry an air gauge, compressor and a "Y" hose (let's me air two tires at a time to the same pressure) in my Silverado..... haven't had to use them yet, but better to have and not need, then need and not have...

Of course, I also carry a folding shovel, pick/maddox, tow strap, and other goodies, but i've got room to do so.....in a soob I'd say at least a folding shovel, tow strap/rope and maybe a compressor.?? Wouldn't take up too much room and not too heavy.

Live and learn!

NV