Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Getting the RX back on the track with goodies

:clap: So my RX has been sitting with bad head gaskets and/or cracked heads for months as I worked on my various other toys. Now, just about every toy I own (except the jetski) has a broken engine. Yeah, Mom always said I'm too hard on my toys...

So I tore the old engine out and I steam cleaned the engine bay. I hate working on greasy cars.

I dropped the new engine in but I haven't had a chance to hook it all up yet, it got dark and my work week started. Sunday it's wrenching time again though.

Here's the scoop on the new engine:

Ported heads, stage 3 cam grind, garrett T3 .60 compressor and .48 exhaust (also going to try a .63exh), 2" stainless header I made a while back (it dropped right in bolted to the engine and there's no clearance issues!), External wastegate, 2.5" stainless down pipe, XT6 flywheel and pressure plate.

It's also getting the aluminum water-to-air intercooler I made ages ago, hope it fits! It's also getting water/alky injection at the throttlebody and 2 extra injectors to fuel this bad rider up to 20psi or more. I have a ported spider intake for it but I'm setting it up with a GM throttlebody and sensors to work with megasquirt. For now I'll just use the crappy intake. I just need to get this sucker back on the track like right now before racing season is over. I'll finger out the megasquirt stuff this winter for more power in spring time.

Who has an AWD dyno in the portland, OR area that is reasonable?

-Chuck

i must say that will be one sweet ride.

i have the spider intake you need for that beast, i was going to use it on my setup but went EJ insted.

polished and clear coted spider all the black has been repainted glossy black as seen in later pics.

tn_spider005.jpg

fitted with GM Ecotech 2.2L TB W/ IAC & TPS and wiring harness.

tn_throtlebody12.jpg

here is the spacer/adapter

tn_throtlebody07.jpg

PM me if interested.

-=Suberdave=-

www.suberdave.com/subaru

• 2 weeks later...
what do you use to steam clean a car? one of those gadgets that youd see on tv infomercials?

I used my pressure washer hooked up to my water heater, works like a charm. I always turn up the temp on the water heater to get the most out of it before blasting away. I know it isn't real good for the pump on the pressure washer but oh well.

Ok, so I got the engine in, then back out to put dimes in the HLA bores to accomodate my cam grind. That's a whole different story...

Dropped the engine back in and set the distributor up by eye. Used a remote starter switch to check my timing and VROOM! It fired right up and sounded good! I had to hurry over to shut off the engine because I didn't have coolant in the engine, oops. It was a little noisy considering the downpipe wasn't attached. Now I got motivated, so I started hooking things up.

I was sad to find out that my home-built water-to-air intercooler was just too big so I went with the stock WRX intercooler for now. I don't want to cut a hole in the hood so the WRX unit is temporary until I get some time to do a front-mount or build another water-to-air intercooler that will fit. I might even put it on the passenger floor board. That way I can build a real big one and the plumbing will be easy- just cut a couple holes in the firewall and make up some 2.25" bulkhead fittings for the inlet and outlet. I'll run antifreeze through it and I can drop in some dry ice for the track. It will also bea really handy to measure the inlet and outlet temps with my handy 2 channel thermocouple meter. It won't measure the temp drop from the water injection system there but I have another meter that I can hook up to the throttlebody. It will be cool to see just how low I can get the temps with dry ice.

The WRX intercooler recieved a couple of mods:

-Plugged up inlet holes on underside

-cut a hole on the passenger side of inlet tank, JB welded 2.25" aluminum pipe to it so it points at the turbocharger.

-retapping for Eclipse BOV that is set to 20psi

I also built my 2.5" stainless down pipe to hook up to the Garrett T3. I'll try to get a photo of it. This will have an external wastegate attached in place of the internal gate. I'm going with an Audi unit unless I find a good deal on a Tial unit. The wastegate should dump into the downpipe about 8-10" from the turbo flange.

I feel like calling in sick tomorrow to get more done to it but I have to save my time off for New Years in Germany!

Nice polished setup, but I already have a spider intake with a GM Quad-4 throttlebody on it.

I'm gunna be in Dresden, Germany. We are gunna be launching off some serious pyrotechnics from my buddy's rooftop. Germany goes all-out on New Years and they let you do some serious fireworks there, unlike here in the states.

Here's some photos of the goods. It looks like a mess but I think it work out.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/moronmechanic/album?.dir=531bscd

let me know if the link doesn't work

Nice polished setup, but I already have a spider intake with a GM Quad-4 throttlebody going on it. Why aren't you running it?

I'm gunna be in Dresden, Germany. We are gunna be launching off some serious pyrotechnics from my buddy's rooftop. Germany goes all-out on New Years and they let you do some serious fireworks there, unlike here in the states.

Here's some photos of the goods. It looks like a mess but I think it work out.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/moronmechanic/album?.dir=531bscd

let me know if the link doesn't work