Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Someone who knows better then me

Oil galleys 2.5L 1997

I have the JDM factory Oil Temp and oil pressure gauge. The pressure sender i can bolt in using a sandwich plate (rather not since it requires a differnt oil filter). Where can i put these things. I was a bit surprised to find out they are english threads. The temp sensor is 1/8 and the pressure sensor is 3/8.

Pictures would be helpful too.

nipper

Oil galleys 2.5L 1997

I have the JDM factory Oil Temp and oil pressure gauge. The pressure sender i can bolt in using a sandwich plate (rather not since it requires a differnt oil filter). Where can i put these things. I was a bit surprised to find out they are english threads. The temp sensor is 1/8 and the pressure sensor is 3/8.

Pictures would be helpful too.

nipper

In my case, I used a T fitting where the electrical pressure sender is (right below and behing the alt) and connected the mechanical sensor on one bar of the T and the regular electrical sender on the other side. Then you still have the idiot light working when pressure is at or near zero.

I brought the pressure sender to my favorite part store and they found the right fittings for the job.

I have no oil temp gauge though.

Hi nipper, well I have mine torn apart at the moment so no pics, but installed an amsoil bypass filter and put the pressure and temperature sensors on the bypass filter mount. Yep I had to get a stewart-warner 1/8" british standard pipe taper or something 27 threads per inch I think to 1/8" national pipe taper 28 threads per inch adapter at the oil pressure sender. Works pretty well though.

Hi nipper, well I have mine torn apart at the moment so no pics, but installed an amsoil bypass filter and put the pressure and temperature sensors on the bypass filter mount. Yep I had to get a stewart-warner 1/8" british standard pipe taper or something 27 threads per inch I think to 1/8" national pipe taper 28 threads per inch adapter at the oil pressure sender. Works pretty well though.

ok mine is 1/8npt and the other is a very sloppy 3/8, which i am going to guess is metric. SInce i love pain so much (joke) and hate things not working, i used the sandwich plate. The senders leaked, but worse yet they were dead. I need to investigate them some more. i think the temp is the 1/8npt (three wires as in a thermistor) and the larger (weighs a ton) is the oil pressure. There is also a mystery wire at the sending unit harness that may have something to do with the dead gauges.

nipper

interesting nipper. i usually put a stainless worm gear hose clamp around the senders and the hook a ground wire to the clamp screw as poor ground as i'm sure you know will cause the gauge not to work.

i really didnt want to do that, but i mught have to. Ill have to chase back that mistery wire and see where it connects. i thought maybe it went to the oil pressure switch, but i may be wrong.

At least the temp sensor will be easy to check , the pressure one i dont have the setup for. i suspect thats a metric thread, and a straight thread at that.

nipper

I've been planning to install an oil pressure gauge in my engine compartment for a year now. You are making me glad I've been too lazy.

the sandwich adapter was fine, the 1/8" gauge port was fine (my fault it leaked) the other one on the other hand ......

nipper