Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what to do with an 83 GL sedan ?

Hello everyone. If you have been following along in the classified section you already know that ive been trying to sell my 83 for a little while now. Well no ones bitting so i would like to hear some input from all of you. I was looking for 2000 dollars without the stereo but mainly i just want to shift my own gears. I dont have alot of money to spend so the main thing that i was originally going for was to sell the suby and get a 5 speed something as a replacement. The other options would be to convert this to 5 speed which i could see being a headache or trade for a car on here thats in just as good shape but manual. If someone has a solution that ive listed or didnt list i would like to hear it. Thanks everyone :)

from what i understand the 5 speed swap really isnt a horribly complex affair. Its a major job, but if you and the car can afford to spend an intimate week together, that should be ample time to get it done. I havent done it myself but thats because i have another car that needs to be worked on desparately, and i use the soob to drive pizzas. it cant afford the downtime.

from what i understand the 5 speed swap really isnt a horribly complex affair. Its a major job, but if you and the car can afford to spend an intimate week together, that should be ample time to get it done. I havent done it myself but thats because i have another car that needs to be worked on desparately, and i use the soob to drive pizzas. it cant afford the downtime.

I agree, it shouldn't be too hard to swap it out, just make sure you get the correct wires to spice and ground so that the car will still start with the 5 speed.

i don`t know, but i just think $2k is a bit high to the average guy for an 83 car.

if i got $1675 for my 87 4wd hatch, i`d probly take it, and it is very comparable, no rust, great interior, and 4wd and manual trans.

$1675 is probably worth it if your Hatch is in great shape in NY, but over here in the PNW it would probably be in the $600-$1k range, especially if the buyer is desparate to get a cool Hatch.