Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Alright, well this probably shouldn't be here but I get much better responses(nicer and much quicker)on this site than I do on the toyota 4x4 site.

Anyways, I have an 89 Toyota pickup 4x4 22re (fuel injected engine for those of you who probably don't know toyotas)

The problem is that my gas guage only works if there's a half a tank or more of gas in the truck. Once it gets about halfway down, it just slowly drops to empty when there's still about 10 gallons(20 gallon tank)in the truck!

Could this be my fuel float? That's all I can come up with. I want to sell the truck ASAP but I would like to fix that problem because I know people won't like that problem. I drove it for the last couple years or more and only ran out of gas like 4 times lol. Actually that's probably a lot haha.

The reason I asked here was because it's a really general question and I think it applies to all cars, not just toyota trucks. And those guys over at Pirate4x4 can be pretty rude for no reason at all. Thanks.

I don't think is the right place to put this. This is the forum for "New Gen Subes" not 4x4 toyota trucks.

In the subaru's, it's usually the sender part of the fuel pump that causes the gauge to get all weird. But, I bet your truck is carbbed therefore it definitely doesn't apply to any new gen sube, so if anything, it should be in the old gen forum - but since it isn't even a sube...it should be in general chat.

But, I bet your truck is carbbed

I have an 89 Toyota pickup 4x4 22re (fuel injected engine for those of you who probably don't know toyotas)

It's fuel Injected as I stated right in the begining.

I forgot about the different sections of the board because I'm always in here. I have 90 legacys so I just put this site as a link in my links toobar and it brings me right here when I click on it.

I have an 89 Toyota pickup 4x4 22re (fuel injected engine for those of you who probably don't know toyotas)

It's fuel Injected as I stated right in the begining.

I forgot about the different sections of the board because I'm always in here. I have 90 legacys so I just put this site as a link in my links toobar and it brings me right here when I click on it.

Sorry - wasn't paying attention to that. But, the same thing applies...non-subaru vehicle on Subaru board...mmmm...

It is usually the sender and there are a couple tricks that sometimes work. The easy one is a bottle of Techron. that has cleaners and it has worked pretty well if the contacts are not too corroded. The other thing is to take the sender out and clean it with an abrasive. Usually it is enough of a pain to remove one that installing a new one is better.

try the techron first, it's 8$ and it might work. pour it in fill up and let it sit for the weekend. it fixed my fuel gage in my 95 leg. well it fixed it 7/8's of the way. it still doesn't go all the way to full. but it used to just sit on empty.

the other thing is to sell it with a full tank. the buyer will figure out how to read it after one fill up. and the full tank will be his discount on the price. what's a tank cost ? well it used to cost $50 now... 35?

I see. Well I guess I'll look in my book and see how to remove it and then call autozone or something and see how much they are and from there I'll determine if it's worth replacing. Thanks a bunch.