Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clunk/Snap when taking off...

Hi,

Just wondering what this might be. As soon as I let the clutch out from a stop, I get a clunk/snap noise coming from the transmission area as soon as the car starts to move. Like there is some play somewhere and I get that clunk/snap when the play is taken up. I'll also get a clunking noise when I am driving down the road and the transmission is freewheeling (not under any load/stress from accelerating, decelerating, or having to keep the car at a steady speed). It sounds like it may be coming from the front differential. Is this possible? I already checked the axles, wheel bearings and the axle nut and they are fine and tight (no play), even though the noise doesn't even appear to be coming from there. If I raise the vehicle up and roll the tires back and forth, you can hear the noise as I am changing directions. It still sounds like it is coming from the transmission somewhere. What do you guys think? Anyone had this problem? Thanks...

Yes, it is 4WD but it is in 2WD when it is making the noise

the driveshaft still rotates even when in 2WD. could be u-joints, it's certainly worth a look.

sounds sort of like tranny mounts, but that would explain it while not under load. But check all those anyway, and also look at the pitch stopper mounts. those things aren't terribly likely, but they're very easy to diagnose.

the driveshaft still rotates even when in 2WD. could be u-joints, it's certainly worth a look.

sounds sort of like tranny mounts, but that would explain it while not under load. But check all those anyway, and also look at the pitch stopper mounts. those things aren't terribly likely, but they're very easy to diagnose.

+1, probably tranny mounts. get a buddy, jack the car up and support it proerly, crawl underneath, and have your buddy rotate the wheels with the car in gear. you'll probably see the transmission slip around a little, and immediately hear your clunk loud and clear. Whether I am wrong, or right, you will know soon enough.

I'm going with strut rod bushings or the bolts on the strut rod that attaches to the control arm. I chased a clunk for almost a year and never thought to check the front strut rod bolts..

Changed my bushings and found out one bolt had about a 1/8 inch of play in it. it made one hell of a clunk

regarding transmission mounts, how often do you have front axle boot failure? If the transmission mounts are bad, the axles will take up the slack and fail more often...

and regarding torxxxxxxx's advice, the strut rod bushings are super easy to replace and very inexpensive, you might just go through the whole front end of the car...