Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rust on the the timing belt?

Howdy,

I am doing the Subaru-Vanagon engine swap, and have come across a surprise in the timing belt area. The engine is a 1997 2.5L from an Outback wagon. I've owned the Outback since it was new, and had not even planned to do any maintenance on the timing components because I replaced the belt and all the idlers somewhere around 30,000 miles ago. When I removed the covers to check out how things were fairing, I found rust on the belt. It seems to have come from the spots where the idlers were in contact with the belt while the engine was sitting. The tensioner pulley and the toothed idler seem to be the main culprits. The timing cover gasket doesn't seem to be damaged at all, so I can't figure out how the rust could have gotten there. Can humidity in the air cause this? The engine hasn't been run in maybe a month or so. Check out this photo. Note that I have rotated the belt, but you can see where the rust spots would line up.

rust2.jpg

showphoto.php?photo=12997&size=big&cat=500