Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi, did the problem start after you had the fluid and filter changed?

How long would you say it takes at most? With ATF warm (between 140 deg F and 176 deg F) the average of three attempts from N to D it should take less than 1.2 seconds. From N to R it should take less than 1.5 seconds. It says if N to D time is longer than 1.2 seconds line pressure is too low, low clutch is worn, or one-way clutch is not operating. Interesting it doesn't show any times for cold fluid.

Oh just thought of something else: have you checked the fluid level, maybe it's low?

moderators moderator can you combine this with the thread in the old generation forum? same guy, same car, same problem.

to the poster - be sure to read the thread in the old gen forum. i have the simple stuff to check there, but it is most likely a faulty oil pump seal inside the transmission. i'd look into any options you may have for Subaru to fix this.

Hi there;

it started before I had the tranny serviced. It seemed to start lagging in a short period of time. i would say a month or 1000 miles. had the tranny serviced right after and it does a little better. lagtime? maybe 2 seconds and then it just clunks into drive.

thanks

Hi, did the problem start after you had the fluid and filter changed?

How long would you say it takes at most? With ATF warm (between 140 deg F and 176 deg F) the average of three attempts from N to D it should take less than 1.2 seconds. From N to R it should take less than 1.5 seconds. It says if N to D time is longer than 1.2 seconds line pressure is too low, low clutch is worn, or one-way clutch is not operating. Interesting it doesn't show any times for cold fluid.

Oh just thought of something else: have you checked the fluid level, maybe it's low?

It is a common issue with the 2000 AT. Apparently the delay shifting is a result of an internal seal not functioning properly and preventing rapid buildup of pressure. My AT was replaced while under warranty. I don't know if a shop would repair as compared to SOA replacement policy instead of their techs fumphering around all day seeing IF they can figure the problem.

Go to the NHTSA.gov site and check under MY 2000 for a TSB on delayed engagement.