Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone from washington!

hey i just bought a BRAT and im on my way to college this year (winter quarter) and im getting certified in all 8 automotive areas. i wanted to know if anyone had input on me opening up a subaru shop? and if i do get to the point to opening a shop i want people who love subaru to work there. this wont be for a year or so but i wanted to ask. and are there groups that go off camping or cruising? i just wanna go do somthin. i know Zapar is close cause i met him. but yea get back to me.

I know you'll probably blow this away since we didn't get off on a good start, but I would suggest that you work at someone else's shop for a few years before you open on of your own. If you are a good mechanic, and the customers get to know you, some of them will follow you and you will have a ready base of customers to start with. Starting cold means that you don't have a reputation and that is what you need for repeat customers. No amount of certificates will do that for you. Most business fail within two years of starting, most because that didn't have a good customer base to begin with. I have two compnaies beside working for another, the first of my company recently celibrated it's 15th anniversary, the second will do that next summer. Both had a strong customer base before I started them base upon reputation working for others. Both companies are nitche companies with a small product range, there are very few other company that do what we do, so competition is limited. Not so in the automotive repair business, specializing in Subarus may be your goal, but with you background in Toyotas, maybe you should start as an Import Repair shop specializing in Subaru, but taking any import car. Build up you reputation, then if the customer base is there branch off to Subarus only. Well there you have it, take it for what it is worth.

I know you'll probably blow this away since we didn't get off on a good start, but I would suggest that you work at someone else's shop for a few years before you open on of your own. If you are a good mechanic, and the customers get to know you, some of them will follow you and you will have a ready base of customers to start with. Starting cold means that you don't have a reputation and that is what you need for repeat customers. No amount of certificates will do that for you. Most business fail within two years of starting, most because that didn't have a good customer base to begin with. I have two compnaies beside working for another, the first of my company recently celibrated it's 15th anniversary, the second will do that next summer. Both had a strong customer base before I started them base upon reputation working for others. Both companies are nitche companies with a small product range, there are very few other company that do what we do, so competition is limited. Not so in the automotive repair business, specializing in Subarus may be your goal, but with you background in Toyotas, maybe you should start as an Import Repair shop specializing in Subaru, but taking any import car. Build up you reputation, then if the customer base is there branch off to Subarus only. Well there you have it, take it for what it is worth.

no i forgive and forget. yea thats my idea i just want to know it anyone else is getting certified as well. i want to start a subaru shop that works on everything for every modle.:headbang:

Hey Corky, I know you work for Boeing, but if you don't mind, what are the two companies of which you speak? I might guess that one is geology related? :brow:
Yea, one is geology related, the other is a sewing company that does small production runs for local designers.

Take Corky's advice on this one. I know what it takes to run a biz and he's spot on. It also might be a good idea to take a business class at a local community college, like Green River CC. It takes alot of sit down paperwork to keep a biz going, taxes, payroll(if you hire), insurance, etc.

advice well taken. i know all about the classes. im going to college. and like corky said, im leanin to the inmport shop instead of just subaru. soi dont have to go threw subaru and wait to goto work. and im going to renton tech i like green river.:headbang:

Take Corky's advice on this one. I know what it takes to run a biz and he's spot on. It also might be a good idea to take a business class at a local community college, like Green River CC. It takes alot of sit down paperwork to keep a biz going, taxes, payroll(if you hire), insurance, etc.

advice well taken. i know all about the classes. im going to college. and like corky said, im leanin to the inmport shop instead of just subaru. soi dont have to go threw subaru and wait to goto work. and im going to renton tech i like green river.:headbang:

I went to college also. It taught me the basics, but in real life things work differently. Experiance is the main thing, you have to start from some where.

I used to live by Lake Sawyer, many years ago. Used to go to that yard occasionally. That and 4 Corners. That was around the time you were born;)

I've had 2 accidents in BD. One right in front of Boots and the other in front of the old Market down the road.

I live in Bonney Lk now.

Frank makes killer jerky btw.

oh cool. ill have to try some jerky, a buddy of mine said its amazing too.

I used to live by Lake Sawyer, many years ago. Used to go to that yard occasionally. That and 4 Corners. That was around the time you were born;)

I've had 2 accidents in BD. One right in front of Boots and the other in front of the old Market down the road.

I live in Bonney Lk now.

Frank makes killer jerky btw.