Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What If.....

What if you had all the money you could ever want with one catch..u could only spend it on your current subaru. What would you do? I know its late and im a space case. I personally would convert my 83 GL into a sleeper STI. The full STI drivetrain with the old school looks of the 83 :)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make the most bad rump roast H-6 or... raise from the dead Subarus old flat 12 f1 racing engine.....i think it was a flat 12.. i forgot.. and make it even better :headbang: and of course.... change all the fluids to syn and... make it run on hydrogen and..... sleep in it :slobber::slobber::slobber: awww i am a dreamer

Hey can we spend it on tools for our soobie also??? because i would own Snap-On if it were the case!

Hmmmmmm. It's a regular old '89 GL touring wagon, but I'd probably lift it two or three inches, put some 15 inch outback wheels on there. Sort of a sleeper design like Beefarus, not a real radical off road one though (surprise people, but not have them confuse it with a jeep cherokee). A lockable rear diff and LSD front would be nice. Probably keep the part time 4wd with low range, though if I could get full time AWD with a locking center diff and low range I'd go that way. A nice welded grill guard and roof rack, and a small winch on the front. For the engine I'd put in one of the new 2 liter turbodiesel engines they're developing for the european subies next year (probably at least twice the torque of the stock EA82 I bet -- some new driveline components might be in order) with a full straight vegetable oil system on it so I can fill up the tank behind the local restuarant. Or barring that, perhaps one of those new horizontally opposed diesel airplane engines. Get a decent stereo system (but nothing crazy). Maybe a new paint job and nicer seats. That's about it I guess.

So many things would be redesigned, you could hardly call it a subaru anymore. I would probably retain the body because I like the look, but short of that nearly everything else would be new, and alot of it would be custom.

Long travel custom independant suspension - at least 30"+ of travel, and enough clearance to fit 44's (probably boggers, or a mattracks style system). Air lockers front rear and center. Some form of diesel with at least 300 HP (or possibly a small turbine), twin transfer cases (at least 200:1 crawl). Etc. Use your imagination.

Oh yeah - and fully submersible with underwater and above water amphibious equipment and drive systems. Bilge pumps, water tight interior, ballast systems for shallow submersion (say.... 25 feet or so). And a retractable top for days on the lake. And a fishing platform with some koosh chairs and such. Electric trolling motor of course....

Lets not forget the full bar, hot tub, and exotic dancers in the back....

GD

i would by a US spec 91-93 legacy turbo and convert my 87 gl sedan. engine, transmission, drive-line, suspension. it would all go in the car.

first off the control arms on the legacy are longer so i'd be looking at a wide-body setup, next i'd finally get some wheels from the aftermarket so those 5x100's are looking pretty sweet on my car.

192lbs torque (little extra boost of course) on a sub 2500lbs car...well you get where i'm going with this

rally would never be the same

Cmon people - enough of the mundane "I want to be a lemming and drive a WRX/STi like everyone else with no imagination"....

Think outside the box, and lets hear some real ideas. The man said "ALL THE MONEY YOU COULD EVER WANT". That's a serious load of cash people. You can fit a lot into "spending it on your current subaru". I mean - it's a vehicle, but that doesn't mean it has to be limited to road.... or mud.... or even Earth for that matter. Subaru moon lander anyone?

GD

what i would do...

i cant say anything about my current soobie, because all i would want to do is make a 1987 GL-10 STI.

ANY soob project, though.. i would probably work on taking an EJ driveline and retrofit it into a 1988-90 honda CRX HF chassis. take it and do whatever would be needed to rotate the ENTIRE driveline through 180 degrees, and put it into the CRX as a rear engine AWD monster.. and then waterproof it, put the propeller on the back, and have an AWD 2000LB flat sports car that could still drive around if our roads were totally flooded out from a hurricane.. that would be ABOUT the only point to der schwimmwagen conversion to me. im not much of a swamper/wheeler. i probably would be into it more.. if local offroading didnt mean driving around in mudd puddles. no hills, ditches, NOWHERE in south florida does the elevation change rapidly at all. you get at best a six foot high/deep hill/ditch.

I really don't want much. I just want my dual carb EA81 with a SC and efi in a 70's brat GL with my 15" wheels, lowered, nice new clean paint and some other stuff in there. For my ride at the moment I'd use a 1.9L TDI Golf engine, with a 6-8" lift, t-case, and some 31" mudders. With air locking front and rear 4.44+ diffs. (also free rego and insurance for ever on both cars would be awesome!)

Not much, but I'd be very happy if I got all that. But theres other things I would like that don't cost anything. Oh, a milling machine for my workshop would rock too (does that count? It would be mostly for the subie custom parts!)

okay you know what?? UNlimited cash, strike that. I would definitely be building me the lemming's GL-10 STI, but i would be making fender flares, and more importantly an AIR DAM!!!!! custom body panels would be my number one originality contribution to this thread. this car needs a jawbone like nodoby's business! if it had one, it would make the ENTIRE front end go from goofy looking and overbitten like bart simpson, to Boldfaced, and intimidating!!! swap in a checkerboard style grille, and send back some nice pipes with the exhaust, and put some super nice seats in the front. that would about make my dream sedan.. rear or all wheel drive, high efficiency motor, (read: no V8 thank you very much, too big) LIGHTWEIGHT, (compared to most cars anyhow) and comfy and good looking. I would probably find a way of hacking into a stock analog dash and replacing the oil volt and temp gauges with some aftermarket ones mounted in the original gauge pod... i hate add-on gauge pods.. and then maybe stick a boost gauge on the steering column betwixt the tach and speedo. add the factory GL-10 luggage rack in the back, keep my factory cruise (thats about the only thing my car has that most of y'all dont) and sunroof... I would have hlaf a million different littel retrofits and re engineering tweaks to add in.. like that AUS market fan switch that has the button to turn AC on and off, id get one of those and use it so i can have AC blowing bilevel..... etc etc

but i would definitely be using my GL10 sedan as the beginning chassis. of course, the rust on said car is so bad, that ANY "plans" beyond driving her until she falls apart around the driveline are moot point, and get filed under "pipe dreams" along with the rest of this thread.. but O well.

i'd put a gas turbine in my brumby...i kinda like the idea of a 8" exhaust pipe that melts the bumpers of ppl that pull up behind me at intersections...and boil their radiator's at the same time so the cap blows off:lol:

or maybe just id add nos...screw piping it into the intake...just pipe it into the cab...instant hilarity button:banana:

keeping this somewhat realistic....

road car:

5-lug, with custom cryo treated and vented rotors

tein flex suspension

all poly bushings

supercharged EJ22t (closed deck, but forced induction from a blower!!), stroked/bored to 2.35L, balanced to 8k rpms, wrx DOHC heads

FMIC (yes, blowers can benefit from an IC too)

17" Rota D2s with very lo-pro R-compound tires

custom wide-body kit

RX ground effects

custom underbody aero work, including a rear diffuser

RX FT4WD tranny with lockable viscous center LSD and helical front LSD, and 1.5:1 lo range

OR

legacy 4.111 tranny with helical front LSD and viscous rear

custom super lightweight flywheel

wrx clutch disc

I think that should do it

(I plan on doing most of that anyway....eventually)

wheeler:

custom longarm suspension setup (retaining independant suspension, and allowing for suspension lift)

custom telescoping axle shafts (so the shafts telescope, not the DOJs)

stronger axle stubs

4:1 lo range

4.444 final drive

air lockers front and rear

NO divorced transfer case (all of the above in the stock transaxle)

fully built high compression N/A EJ25 motor

2" receivers front and rear for removable winch

33" swampers (remember that suspension lift?)

on-board air

integrated front bumper/skidplate

keeping this somewhat realistic....

road car:

5-lug, with custom cryo treated and vented rotors

tein flex suspension

all poly bushings

supercharged EJ22t (closed deck, but forced induction from a blower!!), stroked/bored to 2.35L, balanced to 8k rpms, wrx DOHC heads

FMIC (yes, blowers can benefit from an IC too)

17" Rota D2s with very lo-pro R-compound tires

custom wide-body kit

RX ground effects

custom underbody aero work, including a rear diffuser

RX FT4WD tranny with lockable viscous center LSD and helical front LSD, and 1.5:1 lo range

OR

legacy 4.111 tranny with helical front LSD and viscous rear

custom super lightweight flywheel

wrx clutch disc

I think that should do it

(I plan on doing most of that anyway....eventually)

wheeler:

custom longarm suspension setup (retaining independant suspension, and allowing for suspension lift)

custom telescoping axle shafts (so the shafts telescope, not the DOJs)

stronger axle stubs

4:1 lo range

4.444 final drive

air lockers front and rear

NO divorced transfer case (all of the above in the stock transaxle)

fully built high compression N/A EJ25 motor

2" receivers front and rear for removable winch

33" swampers (remember that suspension lift?)

on-board air

integrated front bumper/skidplate

whe you say Ej22t are you keeping the turbo on there 2??? :confused: somehow making it a dual ramsystem hehe "ram air" it sounds so musclecarish!

I would make cylinder heads, hemispherical combustion chamber . Single overhead cams remain, with a rocker arm out to the nearly upside down exhaust valve... with the cam riding intake side directly.The spark plugs go to the center of the heads chambers.I would keep the mpfi intake (it is huge believe it or not.).I would have pistons to match the chamber design at 10:1 non-turbo, and 9:1 turbo. Then I would make a crankshaft squeezing out my own "stroker" version of an EA82 in its current block- even if only a few millimeters.. Allow the old dog to climb to 9000 rpms. I would put the 3.454 final gear in a 2wd, then make special mounts mimicking the stabilizing driveshaft of a 4wd - to hold it steady at the back of the tranny. For injection, the aftermarket hacks with ECU, etc. And Then....Keeping the 13 inch wheels due to the low geared top end of under 150mph, play around with 0-60 times on the 1.8 liter boxer (not rounded up to 1.8 liter- maybe even rounded down) that could. On three main bearings forever. :headbang:

I would do a complete frame up restoration of Bucky..No modifications..just keep him original..and then show him show him show him..The STI people are already fasinated with him and his spare tire under the hood...Just want to have something that the future Subaru junkies can see and us old timers can remember. But I have always been into restoring with modification..unless the numbers dont match then its all up in the air:grin: (example..when I was 17 I had a 71 mach 1 Mustang ..428 CJ with blower..4:11 rear..Muncie Crusher 4 spd..etc etc..salvage titles car)

Which one?

'94 SVX - I'm gonna have to vote for an EJ257 (STi) motor swap with an FMIC, complete overhaul with full custom racing suspension, and a custom paint job.

'86 GL-10 Turbo (#1) - AWD underpinnings instead of FWD, 5-lug conversion, disc brake conversion, complete custom interior, complete suspension upgrade, and a motor swap.

'86 GL-10 Turbo (#2) - 5-lug conversion, custom interior w/rollcage, suspension (for rallying), WRX drivetrain.

I would do a complete frame up restoration of Bucky..No modifications..just keep him original..and then show him show him show him..The STI people are already fasinated with him and his spare tire under the hood...

"Hey... uh, you know someone left a spare tire under your hood?"

"Yes. I put it there. Where ELSE does a spare tire go?"

I'd do a full frame up rebuild on my '92 Loyale, good suspension bits, coilovers for adjustable height (handling in the summer, clearance in the winter), window tint, full WRXish drivetrain.

Beyond that, I really don't need much. It'd be a reliable, fun to drive, year round daily driver that looked awesome (I quite like the styling).

Though the thought of a gas turbine Subie is quite appealing, I'm not sure I'd want to deal with the lag on a daily driver.

*looks around*

And maybe seal the bottom of the engine bay, fill areas with foam as needed, get better seals on the doors, add a prop shaft to the rear differential, put a rudder in, and make it a boat as well.

-=Russ=-

anyone ever heard of coates engineering? they make new cylinder heads for your cars that use rotating journals instead of sprung valves...

more in depth explanation.. instead of a valve seat in the cylinder head, imagine a semicircular groove, with a rounded endge. the "camshaft" is a single piece that replaces the original camshaft and the valves, lifters, etc etc. on this shaft there are donuts that ride in each of the valve grooves. the valve grooves are notched with a hole into the combustion chamber, and the "donuts" on the shaft are also notched, providing the opening and closing needed. the advantage is that without a typical valvetrain, your cylinder head is no longer a limiting factor in your RPM.

i dunno, the memory just bubbled up to the surface in my head when i started thinking about "unlimited money." the rest of the motor would have to be re-engineered (im talkin about my ea82) to actually productively make power up to 10,000RPM but holy freakin crap!!!!!

whe you say Ej22t are you keeping the turbo on there 2??? :confused: somehow making it a dual ramsystem hehe "ram air" it sounds so musclecarish!

EJ22t is the engine code for the closed deck turbo block. I won't be using the turbo, just a blower. Twin charged systems are neat, but not for me....

Cmon people - enough of the mundane "I want to be a lemming and drive a WRX/STi like everyone else with no imagination"....

Think outside the box, and lets hear some real ideas. The man said "ALL THE MONEY YOU COULD EVER WANT".

Ok

I've really been wanting to do this for about 5 years, EA81 Wagon (my 84 would work) slammed with custom independant f/r suspension, tube frame, big honkin bremboson all four wheels, the biggest wheels it would hold (within reason), atleast 10 wide tires all around. Oh yeah, it would be a mid-engined V8 car, built mopar 340 or magnum 380 sitting behind the front seats. Flared fenders, air dam, full custom interior with a full array or autometer gauges in the dash, all the creature comforts...a/c, p/s, p/w and a pioneer touch screen head unit, cd changer... all the good stuff.

Or I could just stick the comfort crap in the Brat and go for all out go w/ the wagon.

Ofcourse I could do a mid engined STI wagon, but I miss that v8 sound :D I've been planning this since I had my first wagon...

Do we have to limit this to just one of the Subarus we own?:confused:

I think most of us have this problem:lol:

HAHA well since im the one that started this i guess ill answer that. No you dont have to limit to just one of your subarus. As long as its a current ride and not one that you have to go out and buy.

well I've already been broke for the past couple years because I've dumped a tome of money into my RX (roughly $7500!). I'm not big into wheeling anymore since I'm into speed. With my RX, granted there's still a few things I still want to do to it but, I have done basically what I first planned with the car. Built EA82 turbo, WRX TD04, intercooler, cams, cold air intake, custom piping, 5-lug conversion, larger brakes, and so on and so forth. But... its still a Subaru...

Now if I were to dump any amount of money into a car, it would be my 1988 Camaro IROC-Z. Full police interceptor car but top of build sheet says "1 of 1". ONly one made with the police package and a t-top body. All police interceptor cars, even if they weren't used for patrol (civilian use), were hardtop. She'd be fully restored with a few minor engine mods but still relativily stock:brow: