Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Website of the Beefaru 88 wagon is DONE!

BeefaRu

Hey gang,

Big photo archive and web project of the Custom GL-10 wagon I've had for 10 years is now complete after sucking up a few days of my life. There's a lot in there.

At the least it should be entertaining, and hopefully it'll inspire USMBers with similar aspirations to forge ahead. Here's what you can expect to see.

Pages:

• Original build/mods 1996:

• Upgrades/projects 2004-5-6

• Gigs & Storms with a wagon timeline

• Overhaulin' the Beefaru

Photo albums:

• 2.2 engine

• 2" lift

• 4:11 Dual range RX drivetrain

• 2004 & 2005 mods

• Aluminum radiator

• Dynamat

• Overhaulin' the Beefaru (11 albums)

• 2006 misc upgrades

• A large scenery album including a 4000 pixel wide 6 picture panorama

• A large album of fun/misc stuff

• 9 years of Beefaru at gigs

• Journeying into the heart of Katrina

• Misc 2006 storms

Click on my name above, or ride this link

I just read about what your buddy was saying as he was wiping the final polish off.. "yessir by cracky, smoother than a frog's hair"

my friend matts older brother craig restored his dads 87 GT5.0 mustang a few years back.. painted it about the same color.. and at the same stage in the finishing, he was saying the exact same thing. i swear, word for word. "yessir, by cracky!! smoother than a frog's hair!!"

was your friend EVER in south florida? my buddy matt has also lived in connecticut and michigan (he went to gross pointe high school for a year, actually) but i dont think his older brother lived with the family at the time...

craig shand. ask your buddy if he knows that name. otherwise, this is an ODD coincidence..

Nice job, Eric. That car deserves the work you've put into it!

How many miles have you put on it?

I have to ask why you decided a 1-piece driveshaft wouldn't work for you?

I would also love to see some under-car shots of that trailer hitch if it's ever possible..

I think there are a couple of sunroof cars at the yard, are you still looking for an extra glass?

I have to ask why you decided a 1-piece driveshaft wouldn't work for you?

Ive been wondering that as well. A poorly or unbalanced driveshaft maybe caused the original problem is all I can think of other than just that maybe...far fetched....the body wasnt lined up to the powertrain properly when they converted the car from 2wd to 4?

Thanks for the compliments. Building the website was a HUGE trip down memory lane. I got all nostalgic. Funny how a car can do that to you when its been with you through so much.....10 years, 20 states, 180k miles.

Daeron - no clue where he's from or the "frogs hair" thing....but pretty funny though huh

DrKrazy - Thanks! and thanks for egging me on to get the story out and actually show off the car a little. The wagon was always everything I needed so just drove it gigged a lot and never though much about that stuff.

Barracuda - Yea.... for the longest time I only had $ to do minimum maintenance, but its felt great to do what I've done the last couple years. I agree the Beefaru definitely deserves it. I've put close to or around 180,000 miles on it myself, I'll get a hitch shot next time its on a lift and yes I got new glass.

As far as driveshaft......I have no clue. 1 piece sure makes a lot of sense to me and wish it would work.

Shawn.....what I do know is the engine/tranny didn't go in straight. The tranny is off center in the driveshaft "hump" in the wagon by an inch or two.

Three different straight driveshafts were installed. All with the same results: they'd run quiet without vibrations for a while, then within a year or so they'd start vibrating and there'd be a moan at highway speeds easily heard if you did a quick coast with clutch in and gas off. With each driveshaft vibrations got so bad something had to be done. Same thing happened with another conversion car with a one piece, and the builder said a two piece solved that.

So..... we went two piece and now with it finally straight this is the only time I haven't had that moan (yet) or excessive vibration (yet). Makes me wonder why all stock driveshafts were and still are 2 piece if they could be 1 piece.

If anyone can enlighten me I'm all ears.

Thanks for the good words.

BTW....has anyone found the picture of the girl pulling her top up?

Barracuda - Yea.... for the longest time I only had $ to do minimum maintenance, but its felt great to do what I've done the last couple years. I agree the Beefaru definitely deserves it. I've put close to or around 180,000 miles on it myself, I'll get a hitch shot next time its on a lift and yes I got new glass.

BTW....has anyone found the picture of the girl pulling her top up?

Shpectacular, and yes. did you get her number? :brow:

looks awesome!!

I have one question for you, however....how do you like the gearing? I know after driving my EJ22 --> RX tranny powered loyale for about a month, the gearing is incredibly short for the torque that the motor puts out. I doubt I'll ever use lo range. I can't imagine the same gear ratios with a lower final drive :eek:. unless, of course, I was using substantially larger tires.

Thats a pretty vague question....If you find one let me know :cool:
Sorry I should have said "BTW has anyone found the picture of the girl pulling her shirt up....on my website" :burnout:

Thought it was a fun quiz for those checking out the site....looks like barracuda gets an A. --E

Sorry I should have said "BTW has anyone found the picture of the girl pulling her shirt up....on my website" :burnout:

Thought it was a fun quiz for those checking out the site....looks like barracuda gets an A. --E

w00t! I found it

actually....my girlfriend spotted it first :-p

Ok, girls pulling their shirt up are a dime a dozen, you gonna finally spill the beans on how you got the legacy final drive in the RX box?

the key is the use of the legacy center diff. we discussed this a couple years go, maybe it was beefaru we were talking about, but IIRC the problem was getting the newer pinion gear to mate up with the old diff/4WD assembly.

My hope was to use the RX center diff, cause i need lockability front and rear, for offroading and the like.

But as i see it, or what i'd like:

RX center diff, W/lock

4.11 or 4.44 final drive

2wd first gear

1.59 low range

Just need a legacy 5mt and a spare EA-82 dual range, as i'm not too worried about the 2wd first gear bit.