Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How much ea82t crap can I cram in my brat?

Got a donor motor for the brat... ea81 out of an 83 wagon. What I'm wondering is.. what do I need to use the stuff out of my donor 86 T-Coupe? I want to use the 5 speed tranny of course, and the LSD rear end, of course. I was wondering if I can use the suspension stuff? and how about the brakes? If anyone can give me some good pointers, or point me towards some good threads? thanks everybody!!

Brakes: no

Suspension: no

Transmission and rear diff: Yes.

Not much else really. The EA81 will bolt in, but you need to make sure the flywheels are the same. I believe in 1983 they still used the smaller flywheel and if the 83 Wagon is 2WD it will have the smaller flywheel for sure. Just something to pay attention to.

-Brian

Brakes: no

Suspension: no

Transmission and rear diff: Yes.

Not much else really. The EA81 will bolt in, but you need to make sure the flywheels are the same. I believe in 1983 they still used the smaller flywheel and if the 83 Wagon is 2WD it will have the smaller flywheel for sure. Just something to pay attention to.

-Brian

Yeah it's a 2wd auto. Which flywheel do I need then? The ea81 one from the brat, or the ea82 one from the t-coupe??

And what about the axles.. are they compatible?

okay...

suspension.

you can use the front suspension if you, put the ea81 strut tops on the ea82t struts, use the ea82t steering knuckle and brakes, use the ea82t lower control arm, ea82t driveshaft

this will space the bottom of your wheels out a bit and get you some proper camber on the front

you can also use the ea82t real coilovers if you make up a new bracket for the top mount of them

Brakes.

The rear disk brakes should basically bolt on, use the ea8t2 backing plates, disc rotor, hub, caliper and brake lines

if using the front ea82t susp then the brakes will bolt on too

you can also use the brake booster and master cylinder from the ea82t, but it will involve massaging the strut towers with a BFH to get it in

transmission.

when fitting the 5 speed you will need to make up a gearbox crossmember to suit the gearbox

and with any luck (mine did) the ea82t 2 peice tailshaft will fit in

and yes the lsd will bolt straight in

happy modding

The T-coupe has to be 4WD for those rear disk's to work, but im sure it is 4WD.

If your doing the 5speed swap, you'll need the flywheel from your brats motor, a EA82 clutch disk, a EA81 pressure plate, EA81 pilot bearing and EA82 throwout bearing.

Ive never heard of using EA82 front suspension on a EA81, but It sounds like more pain than is worth... dont see much benefit, if you want some good suspension just go get new KYB GR2's for your Brat. REar suspension is completly different.

-Brian