Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey, well my thermo stat died. Hmm, now it didnt want to come up to temperature the engine. Now i changed the thermostat and i refilled the fluid in the rad, but i just need to take it for a test drive. Now to air out the system u turn on the car and keep pouring into the rad until full right? Then cap? Is there a special proccedure i should follow? I find subaru complicated vehicles:-\. Thanks.

If you have a bleeder screw on the top of the rad, take that out while filling. Some people like to be parked sort of uphill or jack the front of the car up a little while filling. Some people like to remove the upper rad hose and pour it in there. There's other posts on here about how to do it.

Then I guess watch your temp gauge on the first few rides and if you see it spike or go up rapidly at all you've probably got an air pocket, though it's best to avoid the air pockets in the first place before damage gets done.

I like to lift the front a bit, and pour until full, then squeeze the upper radiator hose many times while pouring in some more, that seems to help get the air out, not sure if it's sufficient but it's been working for me with no blown head gaskets yet.

search burp*

Hey, well my thermo stat died. Hmm, now it didnt want to come up to temperature the engine. Now i changed the thermostat and i refilled the fluid in the rad, but i just need to take it for a test drive. Now to air out the system u turn on the car and keep pouring into the rad until full right? Then cap? Is there a special proccedure i should follow? I find subaru complicated vehicles:-\. Thanks.

Took it for a spin, doesnt want to come up to temperature WHY! &^&%&$^*)*(^*(^&^(* (swearing alot). One thing after another!! WHY WONT U GET UP TO TEMP!!!!!!! WHY!!!

Are you sure that it's not coming up to proper temperature, rather than that the gauge is giving you an incorrect indication?

maybe temp sensor, temp gage (does it move at all), instrument cluster connections ....

how hot is the heater when you drive it? if it's putting out "HOT" air then the t-stat is working. if it's just mild or warm, then it's not working.

i would think the temp sensor would throw a code but i'm not sure. does obdI have a code for temp sensor?

check your heat. if you have a cooking/meat thermometer (the kind you stab into a piece of meat) stick it into the air vent and measure. it might be the gage.

i wouln't want to do this ... but if you drained it and ran the car the temp gage should spike. "THIS IS VERY DANGEROUS". you could ruin your head gaskets.

check your heat.

edit: tape a thermometer to the upper radiator hose (so you can still read the temp), this won't be a perfect temp reading but if it goes high ..... at least you'll have an idea of the temp.

Took it for a spin, doesnt want to come up to temperature WHY! &^&%&$^*)*(^*(^&^(* (swearing alot). One thing after another!! WHY WONT U GET UP TO TEMP!!!!!!! WHY!!!

I had the same thing on a recent thermosat, radiator replacement. You have and air lock bubble. The local shop told me to take the cap off and run the car 30+ minutes. squeezing the upper and lower hose helped move some of the bubbles. The coolant will probably come out of the filler neck just top it off as needed. The big thing was the lower hose was cool the other was hot till the bubbles worked themselves out. I also gave it a 4 mile run let it cool and removed the radiator cap and ran it again. I think the heat from the engine finally got down to the Tsat and things started to move. Sounds like you are at that point. Just do the 30 min cap off run thing. Disclaimer: A hot engine will burn the crap out of you if you take the cap off. But you probably know that.

Ok, guys i feel much better, subaru did my oil change, retorqued my bolt on the harmonic pulley, and i didnt hit 140ft-lbs but now it is at 140ft-lbs, we talked, learned, and cars runs great. CHecked everything, diagnoised the temp sensor, needed to be replaced, and all is well. Car runs better for some reason, as always, whenever we go to subaru i always feel better, and they always make my car run way better. The subaru God must have blessed my subaru:burnout:......