Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'88 Subaru Starship only 135k miles ... should I buy it?

Ok, it's a '88 XT-6 it was running and driving not a month ago, and has technicly one owner (I don't count the spoiled 16 yr old that got it and wants a truck instead) the parents of the 16 yr old bought it from a lady who got it new in '88. The car was driven to the hospital locally, and then quit and wouldn't start again. It has spark and the ditsy turns (I just learned from Nels that doesn't mean the pass timming belt didn't break) it turns over and almost sounds like it will fire but doesn't quite. The body is near perfect (only blemish is where some idiot sat on the hood and made a little dimple) with just a bit of rust in the back side of the front fenders. Paint is still in good shape, all the electonics apear to work including the air-ride suspension, it has a 5-sp and diff lock button. I will see if it has a LSD or not tomarrow if I get a chance. I might be able to buy this car for $150-$200 ... the question is ... if it is worth taking the chance that it is something simple, and should I make it a daily driver? If not, is it realistic to turn it for $1000 after fixing something minor? Or should I just get it and part it out (especially for the 5-lug hubs, and hopefully rare LSD rear?) I would love to have it as a daily driver if it is practical, but all the electronic gizmo's have me skeptical.:confused:

I would.

Check the ECU in the trunk for any stored trouble codes.

Remove the air intake hose and see if the engine will fire with a small shot of starting fluid.

Possibility one or both timing belts are on the verge of breaking and the timing as changed as a result.

Does the fuel pump work? Blown fuse maybe?

The XT6 is really not that complicated once you get involved with them.

I have never seen an LSD in an XT6.

for 200 bux, you should be able to recover AT LEAST part of that in selling parts, WORST case scenario. you should check for fuel, too (spark+fuel+compression=motor!)

other things to look at, quality of oil in crankcase, quality of coolant in radiator, and presence of one fluid in the other's system (oil in coolant, vice versa)

good luck!! my dad bought one brand new in 89 and it was (still is) about the coolest car ive ever ridden in...

I don't think you can go wrong for that price. If you get it, check the compression of the cylinders to see how they are. It will tell you a lot on what needs to be done to fix this and have a very nice car for almost nothing. You will also have some good backup service advice here if you need it. Just like the PGA golfer commercial says, "These guys are good".

it will run, i'm sure the vehicle is fine. that's a good deal, get it and fix it.

big question is if the check engine light is on or not. that will make a huge difference on how you go about fixing it.

it'll be something easy. FET, CTS, ignition, t-belt, no fuel.

make the call based on fixing it and selling it. take it from me, i've bought and sold (or kept) probably 15 or so of them. parting out is not the way to go, winter coming won't make it any better. unless you have alot of time and really enjoy doing that sort of thing. parting out isn't worth it to me and i keep lots of spare parts for my own herd of XT6's. it takes a long time to pull parts, store parts, take and post pictures, post ads, keep them in decent shape, test them, answer everyone's questions, shipping takes forever to deal with and you typically need to hold them for quite some time because you will only get a good price if there's someone that really needs it. otherwise you'll get $50 for the motor and trans, if that. i just sent an Auto AWD (80,000 miles) and a manual AWD to the scrap yard with excellent trans and motors in them. noone wanted them. everyone says "do it", "part it", "sell those rare and hot parts"....thing is places where these things are rare...there is not anyone there to buy parts either!

do it.....u can have you're very own cheese wedge:grin: ..... but seriously , ive heard that xt's have awesome handling and are an overall good car if u can keep them running.. id say do it...and if u decide u dont want it just sell it to someone else

Ruby Sue had about that many miles on her when I bought her two years ago. Now she is consistantly taking first place in STS class at the local autox. If you were nearer to me, I would tell you not to buy it and then buy it myself; this is one of my favorite cars I have owned (and I have owned over 40 now). My 88 XT6 AWD 5 speed is the car that switched me from buying Honda after Honda to being the all-Subaru guy I am right now (if you don't count my Virago). ;)

If the kid wants a truck and knows how to play the parents, he may have just "disabled" the car somehow. Pull him aside if you can and see if you can't get it out of him. Or it could just be that he's a moron. Which is more likely for 16 yr olds these days it seems....

GD

buy it, no nonsense you can part ouyt the car for 4-5 times that even if you can't get it running

Great to hear! I have an up-date with a follow-up question. I looked at it again today and confirmed that it has good spark and no problem with at least the pass side T-belt, and if I understand correctly, the ditsy rotor is turned by the driver's side, and it rotates. When I went to check the fuel, I noticed 2 things ... the gas was old (turns out it has been sitting more like 6 mon) and there was fuel in the line, but turning it over produced no more fuel being pumped out. Is it possible that the line can be full of fuel yet not have enough presure to make it run? I didn't remember to bring some starting fluid, but I really think they will bite so they don't have to mess with it themselves. I offered them $150 tonight (about what I can comfortably offer right now) after just getting the Legacy Sport on the road (still needs some tranny work and possibly a wheel bearing) I might see about putting the XT-6 on the road while I figure out what all the legacy needs. Thanks for all the input!:banana:

Do yourself a favor... PAY for it FIRST, THEN get it running. Do it AWAY from the owner! It's funny (not really!) how the price of non-running cars goes way up when you make that minor or not so minor repair and it fires up and runs like a dream. "Well, I couldn't possibly let it go for $200 now, it MUST be worth $1500 at least", they'll say. It's happened to me.

Do yourself a favor... PAY for it FIRST, THEN get it running. Do it AWAY from the owner! It's funny (not really!) how the price of non-running cars goes way up when you make that minor or not so minor repair and it fires up and runs like a dream. "Well, I couldn't possibly let it go for $200 now, it MUST be worth $1500 at least", they'll say. It's happened to me.

+123858972309846

not +1

i think everyone here is saying to you, buy it and see if you can get it started later. Worst case scenario, you can get 200 for parts.

Hehe! so true, GD ... I don't think we have to worry about his sabotageing it ... the main reason he didn't drive it is because he was too intimidated by it being a manual :rolleyes: ... but that just means I got a great car for only $250! I suspect it is either the pump it's self or the relay ... it's not making any noises except the "click" of a switch when I turn on the key. I don't know if it is the pump ECU or not .. going to be able to check for power to the pump tomarrow I hope. I didn't let the owners know everything I knew when I discovered the lack of fuel presure, but once he dropped it off at the spare lot off eastside hwy, (yes he even got his trailer and hauled it 2 -3 miles for me too!! :banana: ) I had my friend shoot some starting fluid as I cranked it, and VROOOOM!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: first try it growled to life (this was after he had dropped it off and left:-p ) but I did put a bugg in his ear about the cost of a new fuel pump "if that was the problem" since they are about $300 so he really didn't care ;). All I can say is, this can't be a coincidence since a friend of mine needs a daily driver, and now I have the solution to my delima of what to do with the Legacy Sport. I plan now to make the XT-6 my daily driver and sell him the Legacy Sport (his wife doesn't drive a manual). If the XT-6 proves to be too impractical, I will just sell it. I will get some pics for you all to drool over in the next few days :brow: you WILL NOT believe the incredibly clean interior! Even the drivers seat is in pristine condition! Apparently the lady that bought it new in '88 only drove it to church once a week and her husband refused to drive/ride in it since he is a large guy and couldn't fit in it. the only other annoying addition to the car that the 16yr old added are the "bullet hole" stickers all over the drivers side and a "Welcome to Montana now go back home" sticker that he put on back-wards:rolleyes: inside the back window on-top of the rear defrost element :eek: . Nothing a lil tea-tree oil can't fix :burnout: