Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lurker on here... got some great help a while back with my 02 sensor not throwing a code.

Car: 2000 Outback Lagacy with EJ25

Here's the trouble: I've got coolant dripping from the motor across the tierods and onto the exhaust manifold. I cannot see anything leaking from the top and I'm having trouble seeing where this is... or could be coming from.

Driviablity has not changed. Only leaks when it's running...

We just had a little trouble with the thermostat sticking so it's fresh coolant, t-stat and temp sender to the guage.

Where do I look? Could this be HG?

When you replaced the coolant, did you add the Subaru Coolant Additive? It's for the 1999-2003 SOHC engines to prevent and seal small external leaks. Usually from the lower rear of the head just about where you describe.

Pretty cheap to try, just stop by a Subaru Parts counter and ask for it. They all know what it is.

Well that sounds and looks like the external HG leak issue; try a bottle of that Subaru stop leak, whoops I mean coolant additive. There's a TSB about it. You can get it at any dealer. It's a relatively small bottle, only maybe 4-6 oz i'd guess. I think I paid $3 for a bottle which is even a little steep. Guessing you burped all the air out of the system after changing the coolant.

How many miles are on it? Subaru extended the warranty on the '00 OBW external headgasket to 100,000 miles (or eight years). Simply put, if it's below 100,000 miles, a Subaru dealership should be able to dump the coolant additive, run it through for a bit (I think they said like 15-30 minutes), and see if it's still leaking at the deadline. If it is, they swap that headgasket.

We ended up doing exactly that with my wife's 2000 OBW.