Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The re-hashed oil sitting in the air filter area problem??

usually I give people advice on this problem..but I am stumped as to what the real problem is..oil is sitting inside the air filter and the PVC is new and the compression for each cylinder is 159-160psi ...is it possible that the oil control rings are not doing there job...oil consumption is about 1qt.@ 1300 miles when driving at highway speed...is there a method as to tell if there is to much back-pressure

Oil rings control how much oil makes it into the combustion chamber, not how much oil gets pushed around by blow-by(compression rings) or by the engine's case "breathing".

You said that you had replaced the PCV... I assume that you mean the PCV valve inself? Did you remove both cam-/valve-over breather tubes and check for build-up narrowing the hoses or the metal nipples that they fit over?

Sounds like you have a clogged breather tube like NorthWet says..I had the same thing on my 88 GL..new PVC etc..was so bad I would take a turn and the car would just shut off from the oil dumping into the SPFI. I put new breather tubes on like a friend told me ( this was even after I took the car to a dealer and they couldnt figure it out..smart dealer huh?) and the problem was fixed

I did mean a new PVC valve itself...and the pipes are clean with no blockage

Oil rings control how much oil makes it into the combustion chamber, not how much oil gets pushed around by blow-by(compression rings) or by the engine's case "breathing".

You said that you had replaced the PCV... I assume that you mean the PCV valve inself? Did you remove both cam-/valve-over breather tubes and check for build-up narrowing the hoses or the metal nipples that they fit over?

I will double check again the breather tubes etc ..

Sounds like you have a clogged breather tube like NorthWet says..I had the same thing on my 88 GL..new PVC etc..was so bad I would take a turn and the car would just shut off from the oil dumping into the SPFI. I put new breather tubes on like a friend told me ( this was even after I took the car to a dealer and they couldnt figure it out..smart dealer huh?) and the problem was fixed

My oil cap is very tightly on and all the breather tubes flow air thru them easily...maybe the new PVC is defected..I will check tomorrow...

The only time that ever happened to me was when I left the oil cap off after adding some to my 85 GL. Drove it 60 miles after that, it was super messy.

Maybe your cap isn't sealing well. . .