Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Legacy Outback shakes when stopped in Drive or reverse

I have a 99 legacy outback. I had it in the shop for a torn CV boot and was told it was cheaper to change the axle. The moment I drove from the shop, at the first stop sign the car began to shake violently. Only when the car is stopped and in drive or reverse, when I put it in neutral it purrs like a kitten! Help!! It is sometimes worse than other times, but it is always there to some degree.

I took it back to the shop…and to him, it seemed a motor mount but after checking found nothing. Nothing shows up on the computer either.

Thank You

Venuswine

Hm, that's kind of weird and seems more than a coincidence. Related to the new half shaft the only thing I can think is it is somehow skipping, not sure if that could happen in the DOJ or whatever joints thus causing the vibration when stopped and in gear; obviously there's torque on the thing when stopped. Or maybe they screwed up the output from the differential somehow. I would think they would have test drove the thing after replacing the half shaft. Sometimes the aftermarket half shafts aren't the greatest.

This has been known to happen. Was it an OEM (remanufactured) shaft?

It's one of those Subaru quirks. My dealer changed out one under warranty when I complained. The second one was not quite as good as the original, but much better. When the other front half shaft was changed, I again gained a bit more shake, but (mostly) acceptable.

There have been a few threads on this recently.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=64806&highlight=half+shaft

An older thread, but you might want to read it anyway.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12918&highlight=axle

Commuter