Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Bigtime lifter noise after reassemly

Here's the deal.

I pulled the top end off of the motor

Among other things I pulled the heads and...

Head gaskets,

Valve seals,

Lapped the valves,

Replaced the check valve spring,

Replaced the cam galley o-ring,

Oil pump and seal.

The gauge is showing good oil pressure but man.... It's got lifter noise from HELL

:banghead:

I don't know the history of the motor, so I can't say if it had problems before.

I cleaned the outside of the lifters while it was apart and I left them sitting in oil until assembly.

Man.....

I have an embarassing amount of money into this car........ I donot want to do this again :madder:

It's a good thing I waited a couple of days to post...........

I cast one vote for the o-ring that seals betwean the cam case and head. I see that you replaced it but maybe it slipped out of position during install. Stupid things at the best of times. I just had to replace a cam case on a JY motor and the old o-ring had a profile like a baseball sitting on top of a soccer ball. Needless to say the clatter went away.

And sometimes it's just a matter of putting your foot into the pedal and getting that oil to pump up that lifter.

Moshe did just that when I changed his oil pump and after a minute of high revs or less,it went so quiet we damn near started jumping up and down.Nothing like doing the right thing and still worrying you screwed up somehow.That oil need to pump that lifter up.Good luck.I hope it's that simple.Otherwise I'm with the O ring theory and excess sealant theory.

• 2 years later...

I Recently Pulled Down My Motor Just The Top End And Done A Major Service But Found That One Of My Lifters Was Stack And I Can Not Get It Out. We Have Tried Every Thing But Heat. Has Anyone Had This Pro Before If So What Is The Best Way Around It.

Also Well Be Doing Work To Moto Including Polishing Ports And Valves And Exhust.it Is A Ea82 From A 91 Enduro Also Know As A Leone.

I Recently Pulled Down My Motor Just The Top End And Done A Major Service But Found That One Of My Lifters Was Stack And I Can Not Get It Out. We Have Tried Every Thing But Heat. Has Anyone Had This Pro Before If So What Is The Best Way Around It.

Also Well Be Doing Work To Moto Including Polishing Ports And Valves And Exhust.it Is A Ea82 From A 91 Enduro Also Know As A Leone.

I'm not sure how to answer you're problem, because I honestly dont know, but it makes it a LOT easier to read and understand your post if you Don't Capitalize Every Friggin' Word Cause It Makes It Damn Hard To Read ITS EASIER TO READ ALL CAPS or all lower case with good grammer.

Thanks!