Ultimate Subaru Message Board

excuse my ignorance... what cars came with the ea82 spfi pistons?

I'm not sure on trim level or year and I'm looking for some to put in the ea81 block I'm rebuilding and I dont think the parts store will be able to help me very much if I just say I need ea82 spfi pistons... the searching i've done hasnt given me much other than what i already know, that they will give me about a 9.5:1 cr.

Thanks!

Trevor

Or just use ea71 pistons.The cars that came as spfi started in 87.That is the cutoff year as some are carbed and some spfi.Carbed models went away in '88 on the ea82.I believe they continued on until '94 in the loyale models.Good luck.

ok cool thanks... thought about ea71 pistons but it looks like the cr only comes out at only 8.885:1 or something like that? also read the oil ring lands arent very strong?

your best bet, is to ask for 91-94 loyale pistons. the only motor in the loyale (with the exception of the rare 90 loyale RS turbo) was SPFI. if you want to get even more picky, in '91/'92, it was the only 1.8L subaru made...until they came out with the impreza in '93

it was available in all GL/DL N/A EA82s (not hatches or brats) in '88 and '89 (maybe '87 too, but I'm not sure on that one).

I wonder if the XT MPFI N/A pistons would work....

your best bet, is to ask for 91-94 loyale pistons. the only motor in the loyale (with the exception of the rare 90 loyale RS turbo) was SPFI. if you want to get even more picky, in '91/'92, it was the only 1.8L subaru made...until they came out with the impreza in '93

it was available in all GL/DL N/A EA82s (not hatches or brats) in '88 and '89 (maybe '87 too, but I'm not sure on that one).

I wonder if the XT MPFI N/A pistons would work....

maybe... what kinda advantage would that give? I'm sure I could have my local parts store bring some in to look at without having to commit to buying.

Sorry to be a nitpicker, but I believe SPFI was available in 2wd EA82s starting in 85, and 4wd EA82s starting in 88 (maybe some of them had it in 87, but I've only seen carbs on 87's). California may have had it earlier on the 4wds as well.

But, to be sure, you could order pistons for a 94 loyale and you'd definitely get the right parts.

Sorry to be a nitpicker, but I believe SPFI was available in 2wd EA82s starting in 85, and 4wd EA82s starting in 88 (maybe some of them had it in 87, but I've only seen carbs on 87's). California may have had it earlier on the 4wds as well.

But, to be sure, you could order pistons for a 94 loyale and you'd definitely get the right parts.

SPFI was introduced in 86 actually. 85 2WD's (GL's and GL-10's) were MPFI non-turbo. DL's were always carbed till late 87 when carbs were done away with.

GD