Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RX is back with better cooling goodness!

I decided to go ahead and replace pretty much the entire cooling system as far as components. The symptoms it was having was at idle, would stay at the normal area, when driving, would get hot, and sometimes fast! Also, it would boil the coolant bad after I shut it off. So last week, I ordered a brand new 2 row radiator from www.radiatorexpress.com or something like that. Also, Monday, I got me an EA81 A/C slim fan to mount onto my new radiator. Then I have had a brand new OEM thermostat and gasket ready to make it into the car. Today, I got my radiator, both fans mounted, and back into the car. I got the old thermostat out and cleaned the gasket off of the mating surfaces so its ready for the new one to go in. Now I just have to wait for my brand new OEM STi radiator cap and she'll be stayin much cooler I hope. Hopin by this weekend I can have it going good, then next week, get an alignment done at work:headbang:

hey I tried to look up a GL-10 radiator for my wagon, they only seem to have a "NON TURBO" one anyone know if that will work on my turbo wagon or not ?

Any EA82 radiator will fit into any EA82 car. The only differences are one-row vs. two-row and whether they have fittings for a tranny cooler or not. I always put two-row radiators in cars that I work on. If you've got a turbo car, do whatever it takes to get a two-row. Your engine will thank you for it in the long run.

Any EA82 radiator will fit into any EA82 car. The only differences are one-row vs. two-row and whether they have fittings for a tranny cooler or not. I always put two-row radiators in cars that I work on. If you've got a turbo car, do whatever it takes to get a two-row. Your engine will thank you for it in the long run.

I checked the USRM but I can't find anything on what it would take to get a 2 row radiator into my wagon. Its a GL-10 and I'd rather not get rid of my AC or anything like that would something like switching to electric fans get the job done ?

I checked the USRM but I can't find anything on what it would take to get a 2 row radiator into my wagon. Its a GL-10 and I'd rather not get rid of my AC or anything like that would something like switching to electric fans get the job done ?

check out this thread: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=56014&highlight=cr-1269

I put the CR-1269 from radiators.com into my (old) '85 turbo wagon. Had to flex it a tiny bit to get the mechanical fan back on, but it fit. If you put a slim electric in there should be no problem at all.

-Dave

check out this thread: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=56014&highlight=cr-1269

I put the CR-1269 from radiators.com into my (old) '85 turbo wagon. Had to flex it a tiny bit to get the mechanical fan back on, but it fit. If you put a slim electric in there should be no problem at all.

-Dave

I just got done putting in the 2 core rad and had the same problem with fan clearance. My solution was to hack saw about an 8th of an inch off the studs that hold the blade onto the clutch.

I just got done putting in the 2 core rad and had the same problem with fan clearance. My solution was to hack saw about an 8th of an inch off the studs that hold the blade onto the clutch.

Yeah I noticed on mine it was a little closer in clearance between the waterpump and the radiator. I also removed my power steering pump to get my new radiator in because there was no way to get it into the car with both electric fans on it....

in my experance i bolted the fans on after i put the radiator in can't you do that with the rx?

Well with not having a lot of room down around the sides of the fans, it was just easier to remove the PS pump since it took me like 30 seconds to do it. Then after it was in, spend another 30 seconds and bolt it all back together:headbang: