Ultimate Subaru Message Board

parts needed for tranny swap?

Ok so ive finally located a tranny for my car. Its a 5 speed out of an 84 suby. Its still connected to the engine that was pulled so i assume i will be getting the tranny, flywheel, bellhousing, and starter. What else do i need for the swap? Here is the list of things that i think i need

Starter (not sure if mine will work with it or not?)

pedal assembly

crossmember

shifter and linkage (if its not still on the tranny)

anything else or anything i can remove from my list? Anyone have these items? Thanks guys

Noah was referring to the 5 d/r speed swap from an ea82...

But he was right in that you'll need the interior console pieces... the 5 speed 2wd's had a single piece radio/shifter console in them...

and if you do get one of those consoles somewhere, I still have 1 repro 5 speed 2wd shift boot available (in black...)

the only other thing I can think of, would be the anti-sway bar. might want to grab that oo, as there were some differences between AT and MT to account for tranny size....

Yeah - should be pretty simple. Your biggest differences are going to be wireing. The reverse light switch, and neutral start (if it even has one??). I haven't messed with EA81 auto's much...

You will want to remove the steering column to do the pedal swap. Much easier this way, and the column is actually surprisingly easy to remove - just two bolts, the u-joint under the hood, and a couple electrical connectors.

And remember to route the clutch cable UNDER the steering column, and the heater core hoses. Probably a good idea to invest the ~$20 and get a new clutch cable for all your effort. Also get a new cable pin for the pedal end of the cable (seperate part number), and inspect the pedal you get at the yard to make sure there isn't way too much ovaling of the pin-hole in the pedal.

Oh yeah - and you are going to need to swap the speedo cable too. The auto one is too short by about 8" or so. Remove the guage cluster and install the cable before you install the new pedal assembly and the column so you have room to work. Route it carefully, and while the cluster is out take the front clear plastic off and clean inside the guages, and polish the plastic if you like with some toothpaste, or jewlers plastic polish.

GD