Ultimate Subaru Message Board

auto trans and off road?

WRX2FFU

So i know that the 5 speed d/r is great off road. what about the auto. I have a line on a 85 gl auto 4wd and it may be the start of my offroad rig. Will the auto perform ok with a lift and bigger tires??

Any help will be appreciated. yes i searched.

no. the suto didn't have a lo range. and the rear output from the tranny goes through a clutch pack, so while you're hillclimbing, you could just have one front wheel spin, and that clutch pack could slip.

Auto's typicaly are preferrable for offroading (specifically rock crawling), but with no gear reduction. they're pretty much useless.

I offroaded my auto wagon a lot, up very steep hills, over banks, thru rivers and the only issue I ever had was one time the fluid got low and when I was doing a 3 point turn half way up a 60-70 deg. grade the trans slipped a little when the car was sideways; after adding fluid I never had the problem again.

I'd say the auto is ok for offroading, but I have no idea how it'll perform with a lift and larger tires (was my intention also).

no. the suto didn't have a lo range. and the rear output from the tranny goes through a clutch pack, so while you're hillclimbing, you could just have one front wheel spin, and that clutch pack could slip...
The Torque Converter provides approx 2.5-2.8 torque multiplication, somewhat mitigating lack of a lower first gear. The clutch pack provides a LOCKED connection between the front and rear drive shafts, so even if a wheel on one end spins the other end will still provide drive.

If you decide to do this, invest in a good tranny cooler. And if you can, a tranny fluid filter.

Thanks guys.

So the auto would work but maybe not as well as the manual d/r. Thats what i thought. It sound like a lot hassle to beef up the auto............

Chux, i am not backing out of yours just looking for viable alternatives in case yours does not come thru.

It;s settled. I need a manual d/r.

Ok other than the clutch equipment would a 5 sp. d/r bolt up ? Maybe different driveshaft and cross member. Right?

Thanks guys.

So the auto would work but maybe not as well as the manual d/r. Thats what i thought. It sound like a lot hassle to beef up the auto............

Chux, i am not backing out of yours just looking for viable alternatives in case yours does not come thru.

It;s settled. I need a manual d/r.

Ok other than the clutch equipment would a 5 sp. d/r bolt up ? Maybe different driveshaft and cross member. Right?

I totally understand.

on the swap, I did a very similar one in my loyale. 3AT to 5MT D/R (happened to be a RX tranny, but it's virtually the same), you're right on the money with the swap parts...I'm not sure about the driveshaft, but the crossmember is different (mounts are still there, and you'll need the longer bolts from the 5MT).

it's actualy a pretty straightforward swap. the hardest part is getting the stupid pedal box in there. just make sure it's in Park when you disconnect everything, otherwise it might lock the key in the ignition.....that was a pain.