Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What muffler sounds good on an ea82t? 2.5" ss exhaust no cat.

I havent seen to much talk of aftermarket mufflers on the turbo motors and I know there are some members running stout exhausts.

I am wondering what sounds good , Loud isnt necesarily bad, But I am in the moood for mellow. The car will have an uppipe made as well as 2.5"ss tube from the turbo back.

I have experience with dynomaxs straight through turbo muffler on my 2.8t with 3" ss exhaust, I am happy with it overall ecspecially considering the price but at highway speeds and when I really get on it the thing is loud!

I will be using this car mainly as a daily driver, 30 miles @ 75-80mph.

Anyway, I would like to hear any experience had with aftermarket exhaust and mufflers.. good bad or otherwise.

Thanks, Sam

not sure the name brand of my muffler ,but the muffler shop put on a turbo muffler, it's on my 88 turbo a/t full time 4wd wagon, with no cat, make sure you run aleast 2in pipe from the curve part back , and yes it makes a difference , the shop i went to did not put a flange ,so if i have to take it apart it will be harder, , and where the cat was i wrapped , my mpg did not really go up ,but alot more power , 24 city, 25 hi way, but mine is a automatic tranny

2.5 is huge for an ea82. The turbo round mufflers around 2 inch are good. The flange is a must have after y-pipe, something will break without it. I went two inch with hardly restricted, and thought it was not enough back pressure. The ea82 is a tiny volume/stroke turbo or not.

Speaking of 2.64 inch stroke... I saw a kingston flash drive for pc's with the same length as a ea82 stroke (66.9 mm). It put into perspective how small subaru really made this engine (EA82).:confused:

Wind it up like a turbine I guess... get a "ricer" effect out of it.:mad:

I really can't make fun at it, it does alot of work for displacement. Don't give it a big exhaust, it is truly a little engine. :burnout:

Remember this is for an EA82T. The rule is on these, the larger you go, the less low end torque you'll have, but the quicker the turbo spools. Its a trade off. You have to find the optimal point for you.

My XT runs the stock size piping from the turbo back with punched cats and a straight pipe instead of muffler. Sounds mean, and the turbo spools plenty quick.

Remember, backpressure = bad, high velocity flow of exhaust = good. The smaller the piping, the higher the velocity of the exhaust, but too small can create unneeded backpressure. Its the high velocity flow of exhaust that helps the scavengine effect and create the torque you want.

I have a 3" exhaust on my RX but I'm also running quite a few mods as well. I had just a 3" bellmouth downpipe on my car and it was loud! For a stock turbo on a fairly stock engine, probably would go with 2.25" piping. If you end up upgrading to a larger turbo, then 2.5-3" would be better.

When I do my uppipe I wil be flanging it for t2 and t3 garret. I have a few diffrent t3 turbos around the shop and the idea of a cheap bb sr20det turbo sounds interesting too.

2.5" also leaves me with some room to grow if A motor swap happens in the future.

Sam

Remember this is for an EA82T. The rule is on these, the larger you go, the less low end torque you'll have,...

...Remember, backpressure = bad, high velocity flow of exhaust = good. The smaller the piping, the higher the velocity of the exhaust, but too small can create unneeded backpressure. Its the high velocity flow of exhaust that helps the scavengine effect and create the torque you want.

On a turbo, nothing really matters past the turbo outlet (except to smooth turbo exit flow) except backpressure. Velocity is irrelevant, and back pressure is everything. There is no such thing as "good" backpressure, just that altering backpressure from what the factory expects can alter how much fresh intake charge or exhaust backflow is retained or lost in the cylinder.

bgd73, there is no y-pipe on a turbo, not like on a NA soob. No real comparison can be drawn.

On a turbo, nothing really matters past the turbo outlet (except to smooth turbo exit flow) except backpressure. Velocity is irrelevant, and back pressure is everything. There is no such thing as "good" backpressure, just that altering backpressure from what the factory expects can alter how much fresh intake charge or exhaust backflow is retained or lost in the cylinder.

bgd73, there is no y-pipe on a turbo, not like on a NA soob. No real comparison can be drawn.

There is 2 heads into 1 pipe, whatever shape it is. I agree about the turbo not needing anything after turbo outlet except for my real life experience with an exhaust gasket on my fathers 475hp cat diesel. In the passenger seat I noticed ever so slowly the turbo guage nearby climbing into the high 20's psi then into the 30's after 100 or so miles. The whistle was making my eye twitch. I shrugged it off as "it is just a big fricking rig". Turbo was right on the other side of the firewall where I sat. Outlet facing me to further make a perfect error.I went to chow down some lunch and a tooth burst for seemingly no reason. It was ther damn turbo gasket leaking on outlet side creating a super frequency that twitched a nerve in my head. So you tough guys can all pretend true exhaust isn't necessary,and I will go through the rest of my life with chunking teeth. Thanks. :mad: Tiny stroke or not. Tune the f***ing thing correctly.

i have a magna flow 2.5 on my six nice and quite when your going easy on it , and when on the freeway but it sounds down right mean when i'm really beating on it worth evrey penny i spen on it, it was an $80 dollar muffler:eek: after all, :burnout: :burnout:

The 2.5 inch on a turbo'd six is still huge. I have had gigantic high comp v8's that loved 2.25 inch and even then it was too big sometimes. Here is an sti on the autobahn doing 150mph. Here the whistle? Do you know where the sound goes letting the outlet side breathe too much? take a guess...I wonder how the 5 main bearing dainty crank does at that speed when shattering.The one in vid seems to have a quiet exhaust, assuming oem.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/997f0234-f1a8-4553-8bc3-982e00ee06c7.htm

if there was a 2.125 (1/8) inch pipe on a higher comp EA82 turbo. I would personally push my luck with that and nothing more. Letting outlet side out bigger and there is a true gain, then you've won. 2.5inch seems huge.

Guys, he wanted to know our opinions on MUFFLERS, not exhaust diameters. I'm running a Flowmaster muffler from a mustang. It is 2.5 inches and is nice and flat. When I had my shop weld up the exhaust, they were able to really get it up close to the underside of the car for high clearence. I capped the system with a length of stainless 2.5 tubing, and it looks great! I still have the factory down pipe and cat on, so its not very loud, but the reverberation it has on high rpm deceleration is awesome! Can't wait to hear it with my new 3" DP!!!:banana:

Here are some shots.

IMG_3025.jpg

IMG_3026.jpg

Carfreak85,

True, but I am enjoying bgd's "experiences" regarding exhaust diameters. I dont agree with what he has to say as it pertains to turbo exhausts but he is

convinced.

Maybe we should start a conversation about the merits of a sts rear mount(rear of the car)style turbo system on a soob.. That usually seems to fire up any board its posted on.

As for a flowmaster on a soob(or other small displacement turbo motor) , I would be interested in hearing that, everyone loves the sound of a flowmaster equipped mustang. I cant imagine a 2.5" flowmaster would give any backpressure to to a 1.8l.. that is the usual size (x2)for 5L mustang.

My personal Ideas on turbo exhaust run along the lines of what northwet posted, that is based on my experience, what I have read on msg boards and most importantly Maximum Boost by Corky Bell.

Anyone running a borla? or one of the vortex tuned style mufflers?

Sam

True, but I am enjoying bgd's "experiences" regarding exhaust diameters. I dont agree with what he has to say as it pertains to turbo exhausts but he is convinced.

I know, its kinda like watching a car accident, you want to look away, but you just can't!! What he is saying goes against everything I've learned in my advanced power mechanics class. To each their own, I suppose!

Carfreak85: Yeah, I was kind of off-topic. But then again, he did ask for something that wasn't noisy, sooo... ;)

I would recommend looking around at some of the larger imports (like V6 Toyotas, Nissans, or even Hondas) and finding a large volume, dual outlet stock muffler. The large volume will cut down on pulsation noises, and the dual outlet will cut down on low-frequency droning. Any muffler that these manufacturers used on a 3L engine will have more than enough flow for the EA82T.

Or for tunability, think SuperTrapp.

Bwahahaha

I hadnt even considered a 'trapp.. I was laughed at for suggesting one on my 2.8t and havent looked back since then. I love em on na datsun motors with big cams.. imo the best sounding combo out there . I have a 3" inlet muffler in the shop right now too.. 18" I think? My friend had one on his fiat. I always thought it sounded hideous but he loved it. the car is down for a hi po motor build so I would be able to put that bad boy on the soob.

Damn, I cant belive I never put that thing on my datsun.. It has been just sitting feet away from it. Gah.. I know what Im doin tommarow!!

Bwahahaha

I hadnt even considered a 'trapp.. I was laughed at for suggesting one on my 2.8t and havent looked back since then.

....Damn, I cant belive I never put that thing on my datsun.. It has been just sitting feet away from it. Gah.. I know what Im doin tommarow!!

Me, ive always loved the l-series motors (six or four cylinder) totally unimpeded.. as for the supertrapp, is that the silly little horn thing that goes over the end and doesnt vent directly out the back???? when my uncleput one of those on his Z i hated it.. thought it was the worst sounding Z exhaust id ever heard.

as was mentioned above, though... to each his own.

The point to the Trapp-series is that they are tunable... that and they use a different concept in sound control. Want it quieter, remove some discs; louder, add some discs. Because the exhaust flow has to go between the inter-disc gaps it can really cut down on low-frequency noise. And by adding discs, you can get an effective outlet size larger than the inlet.

I happen to like quiet (I outgrew noise-for-noise-sake years ago), so I would still use a large volume muffler before a SuperTrapp.

Bluto5, having not looked for a while, do you know a good source for SuperTrapps? Last one I got was for my Honda 400F in the 80's...

Northwet,

Racer wholesale websites usually have them, pitstopusa.com is one

Im not positive but I belive summit and jegs carry them also.

I dont think anyone could not like the sound of the car I heard with 'trapps

It was a built race motor with dual pipes all the way back to dual 'trapps. It had a very deep tone with that nice lumpy idle.. BIG cam, I havent heard and L series that lumpy since then. At full wail it held on to that deep tone and didnt start to just scream bloody murder like an open exhaust would. I have run my Z NA with a glass pack on it for many miles as well as completely open. I didnt hate it but I wouldnt say that it sounded good either.

Sam

my uncles built about six different engines for his roadster racecars (full blown race engines.. fully blown :dead: it took him a while to find a better jap motor builder..) and we have seen and made about any Zcar engine common, between my dad, my uncle, my brothers, myself, and our friend peanut (mostly him cuz he was the one doing it for a living)

they can sound all sorts of different.. but even the four bangers have a common tone thats mesmerizing.... out of a non crossflow head, too....

I cant tell you how many times ive idly wished for a crossflow, DOHC head for that block.. but i know deep down it would utterly change something i love, (the exhaust tone) so in a way i am kinda glad thats not an option....

...I cant tell you how many times ive idly wished for a crossflow, DOHC head for that block.. but i know deep down it would utterly change something i love, (the exhaust tone) so in a way i am kinda glad thats not an option....

OT, minor hijack: The 4-banger does have a crossflow head, and I even think a DOHC was available... but I suspect that I am "trying to teach my grandma how to suck eggs"... you are more current on such than am I. :grin:

I haven't tried a 'trapp on my 510, but it does work really well on my 400F... except the -4 has an early version, the one with the single hook-bolt that holds on the end cap. The -4's exhaust is hot enough to cause it to stretch and loosen. Has a lovely sound at idle, though. :headbang:

i was thinking most specifically of my six with the non crossflow head.. as for anything else, i was guessing at what might be responsible for the feel im talking about... i honestly havent seen enough 510s on the road to be able to easily distinguish one from a toyota, as sad as that is to say.. ALL the japcars are rusting and dissappearing, or being built and wrecked by idiots down here. good for junkyard motors, bad for "the long haul" so to speak....

we better be careful here though. this is the soob forum after all, should we feel guilty for moonlighting?

Feel guilty for talking about/owning/loving datsuns!? Never! I am here moonlighting from my datsun not the other way around. I dont feel bad though, I was drawn over to the "soob side" with visions of an awd snow fling'n monster.

I also have a dime in the garage.. hehe

Its nice to find people who are pasionate about these cars, it only makes sence that some would be into datsuns also. These are not only "drivers" cars but also tinkerers cars. They inspire people to no end.

Back on topic though.. I cant belive there isnt more opinion on mufflers for these cars.. Seems like there are a lot of modded ea82t's on the board.

Maybe Ill just build the exhaust for the dynomax I already have and buy a borla for the Z. Gotta try the 'trapp also.. hehe

Sam

Shop I went to offered me a deal that I could`nt refuse. Apparently a guy ordered a set of Thrush for his Silverado and changed his mind. He insisted on flowmasters instead. He paid for the Thrush and told them to keep them. The guy told me if I was interested, he would just charge me labor to install and at first I was skeptical, but told him to go for it. I LOVE the sound that is produced from it. Not loud at all but a gutteral throaty pitch that will make people take notice...

This is on a non-turbo EA82 though.:headbang:

Feel guilty for talking about/owning/loving datsuns!? Never! I am here moonlighting from my datsun not the other way around. I dont feel bad though, I was drawn over to the "soob side" with visions of an awd snow fling'n monster.

I also have a dime in the garage.. hehe

Its nice to find people who are pasionate about these cars, it only makes sence that some would be into datsuns also. These are not only "drivers" cars but also tinkerers cars. They inspire people to no end.

Back on topic though.. I cant belive there isnt more opinion on mufflers for these cars.. Seems like there are a lot of modded ea82t's on the board.

Maybe Ill just build the exhaust for the dynomax I already have and buy a borla for the Z. Gotta try the 'trapp also.. hehe

Sam

you better not feel guilty for talking about 510s There one badass little car that "could" refering to how they cleaned house back on the racetrack! I think that you should either make your own exhaust and mabey even your own muffler!! yes people do it... and as for size i think anything over 3 is way too big for this little engine! 3 is pushing it! hope it helps

good luck!