Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Really bad static/bad reception on AM

Sometimes it depends on where I am, and sometimes it seems to be related to how the car is running. I'll come to a stop light and the static will abruptly stop a second before the car stops, then starts again when I start moving. Also static might start if I put the car in gear after being parked.

Is this the alternator? A bad ground? Bad plug wires?? Help, I need to listen to Rush Limbaugh :headbang::lol:

Sometimes it depends on where I am, and sometimes it seems to be related to how the car is running. I'll come to a stop light and the static will abruptly stop a second before the car stops, then starts again when I start moving. Also static might start if I put the car in gear after being parked.

Is this the alternator? A bad ground? Bad plug wires?? Help, I need to listen to Rush Limbaugh :headbang::lol:

if you're listening to rush, then i'm not helping. :brow:

i've heard it's a ground wire.

next we'll discuss religion.:lol:

Did this just start? Could be cheap plug wires. Radio Shack sells a small in line suppressor for the antenna line or there is a suppresor for on the back of the altrernator. Then again... Rush???... better off with no radio.

Did this just start? Could be cheap plug wires. Radio Shack sells a small in line suppressor for the antenna line or there is a suppresor for on the back of the altrernator. Then again... Rush???... better off with no radio.

Where do I get a suppressor for the alternator?

Plug wires are genuine Subie (thanks to the Forum for recommeding these). They were new a few years ago.

[...]Help, I need to listen to Rush Limbaugh :headbang::lol:

I seem to remember that your car had a used trans installed a little while ago. Did the AM interference start about that time, or was it apparent before? If the noise started when the trans work was done, I'd look into related wiring, grounds in particular.

Air America may be financially bankrupt, but Rush is bankrupt in other respects.

I seem to remember that your car had a used trans installed a little while ago. Did the AM interference start about that time, or was it apparent before? If the noise started when the trans work was done, I'd look into related wiring, grounds in particular.

Air America may be financially bankrupt, but Rush is bankrupt in other respects.

:clap::banana:

It was doing it before the tranny change, BTW. Good memory!!!

Having a good ground connection between the base of the antenna and the car body is important and a lot of these type of problems happen that way along with a bad antenna input connection.

There are usually two types of noise that effect AM radio signals in a car radio. Alternator noise is heard as a whine that increases in frequency as the alternator speed increases. The other type of noise is generated from the ignition and it sounds like a pulsing noise which increases with engine speed and the ignition pulses increase. Having good chassis and engine grounds are important to keep these from being a problem also.