Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tracking Down Coolant Leak

How do you go about tracking down an elusive coolant leak? My 88 wagon seems to be losing coolant, but there's no visible leaks. Every once in a while, when I stop my car, I can smell burnt coolant, but I can't see it anywhere. There's no steam coming out my tail pipe. Also, the level in the reservoir doesn't ever drop, but the radiator definitely looses coolant.

I've had pin-hole leaks in the 90* hose under the altenator, and in one of the heater hoses on the backside of the engine. Both were kinda hard to locate. I've also had pin-hole leaks in the radiator, can be real "fun" to find those, 'specially when it's between the cores of a 2 row one.

If any of your coolant system hoses are 4 years or older, I would reccomend changing them, just because they're at the limit of worthyness.

Another thing to check, would be to make sure all clamps are tight.

Every leak that I`ve had was a pain in the a$$ to locate. I`ve had one on the 90deg hose under the A/C compressor, the 90deg coming off of the back of the manifold under the spare tire, from the o-ring at the metal pipe attached at the water pump, and one of the heater hoses under the spare tire... Good luck in your endeaver...

"rent" from autozone a cooling system pressure tester.

+1

Also, sometimes with cooling leaks, you won't be able to find then unless the engine is nice an hot. The '82 wagon that LUVMYRBAT just sold to Zeke had a cooling leak from the radiator but never could find it. Well turns out, after we drive it down to just north of Ft. Collins, it lost coolant and when we put more in, it shot out of this tiny hole in the radiator. In addition to the hoses that have been mentioned, check the one that goes from the top of the block to the intake, and also check intake gasket as well.