Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I wrecked the Sube.

Some interesting opinions in here.

But if you make contact with a car and then leave... whether you are at fault or not, you have broken the law. So the Camaro guy broke the law... whether he gets caught, or whether BGD73 caused it or not. Can we at least accept that as fact regardless of how we feel about the drivers? :rolleyes:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started pulling things apart. to keep spfi parts and heads, the passenger head is stuck, and some other things I cant get at. Looks like a wrinkled up cotton sheet. I got lucky in more than one way including drivers and cars nearly unscathed , except for mine. The engine kept running, so the part touching the timing cover was barely a squeeze on it. The other side bent away from the drivers side head. I am sure there are body mechanics that have fixed an injury like this, I am not going to- the price and labor on my own is a bit too much.

The decision making photos:

insideaccidentrr2.jpg

subeaccident2fs0.jpg

That would be a huge job to fix. I would've scrapped it to, and looked for another car.

The SPFI heads and Carb heads are the exact same, so you don't need to swap heads.

You might benefit from swapping cams though. Dunno.

The gl I am getting has the absolute loudest valves I have ever heard from an ea82- deep twang metal sound, hla's sloppin don't quite do this.I wonder what extreme did it. at 104 k it should be as quiet as a mouse even with bad habits about oil changes, etc.I will find out more to hopefully do away with my worst thoughts- it did go down the road ok. I did notice the heads are the same as well- unlike my 87 dl with those side pipes coming out above the exhaust flange on both heads. I am glad they matched each other. My 161k miles is somebody elses 100k falling apart apparently. I do stay right on top of things.I am assuming the cams to be a bit different. The loyales spfi and a 2bbl carb were worlds apart on take off, and seemed even more conservative than a single barrell spfi. At least I can keep some stuff for future projects.

Oh the optimism, I can feel it. :rolleyes:

Actually - an 87 carb will probably have one head without the ASV port above the exhuast, and one with. Easy enough to just cut the end off the pipe, flatten it with a hammer and run a weld bead across. All the heads have the port, it's jut not drilled on FI engines, and on some carb models the passenger side head isn't either.

You would be smart to yank your SPFI engine, drop it in, and use the carb manifold to bolt on a Weber. Keep the old carb block as a spare.

GD

Shoot, if you were closer, i'd help you swap motors, just to show you theres no hard feelings. :D

:) Thanks! I may be able to use it some time.

I bought the gl drove it to my friends, motor doesn't need much, so swapping isn't necessary. I did take the fender off of the wrecked loyale in an attempt to get the wiring harness without snipping a single wire, for the spfi. That is making for an interesting project. The 2wd I wrecked was quick, so I have to get used to the humble power of the carbed ea82. I will miss my 2wd - it made the little ea82 do a little more than its known for. I did find several newer subes with bigger engines comparably priced, but went with the stuff I have gathered for 9 years to help keep an older one going. The projects to make a mud buggy or whatever seem to prevail on the older ones like I just bought as well. :burnout:

Actually - an 87 carb will probably have one head without the ASV port above the exhuast, and one with. Easy enough to just cut the end off the pipe, flatten it with a hammer and run a weld bead across. All the heads have the port, it's jut not drilled on FI engines, and on some carb models the passenger side head isn't either.

You would be smart to yank your SPFI engine, drop it in, and use the carb manifold to bolt on a Weber. Keep the old carb block as a spare.

GD

I was informed this engine had head work. I found the egr stuff pinched off. Both heads look like an spfi head.It appears to be the passenger side head has the asv done away with. There is no "asv" or egr pipes on either head and anything egr is just sitting there useless, but there.Someone knew what they were doing :)

At 104k someone got to it while it was young. The Alaska title shows it had a long cross-continental trip somewhere along the line.Swap will be easy mechanically, I am in the process of taking wiring harness out of wrecked 2wd. I also will have the big-rump roast delco radio in the gl too.:)

I tore into the remnants today... Who needs a bent cam gear?

subeaccidentsprocketyx6.jpg

The whole engine, unibody, mounts, crossmembers, etc are bent and misaligned all the way to firewall. It was hard to tell with radiator in.

subeaccidentenginebaycc6.jpg

I have intake off with everything attached, pumps and alternator, and am currently using the top of flat engine as tool bench. :)

I will pull this engine by myself and put it in a crate, with heads off. :rolleyes:

Thank god for understanding landlords.. I am doing this in the driveway! cleanly and quietly of course.

engine down to lightweight. Will leave heads on, pull it out with a bit of help. Not a single leak in common spots. the water pump left drops through cold weather then stopped. It was internal on the pump. This engine never had a repair.

Took oil pump off and water pump. The mystery supercharger noise was bottom tensioner on drivers side. I babbled about it here for quite some time (18 months +). The accident did not even kill it with a cam sprocket wedged and running on two cylinders. I shut the engine off and bailed out. would "on a wing and a prayer" be appropriate to say?

:)

showphoto.php?photo=13226&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=12611

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=13226&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=12611

Well, isn't that timing sprocket part of the experimental "variable timing" design? :lol:

On a serious note, I am glad that you are relatively unharmed. From your pictures, it looks like your sube did exactly what it was supposed to do in an accident: Sacrifice itself and its structure to protect its occupants.

Well, isn't that timing sprocket part of the experimental "variable timing" design? :lol:

On a serious note, I am glad that you are relatively unharmed. From your pictures, it looks like your sube did exactly what it was supposed to do in an accident: Sacrifice itself and its structure to protect its occupants.

it did quite well indeed.I am unharmed, except for my left kneecap, only a bruise. The cabin part is flawless, not anything noticable.The fact that it stayed running with the engine pinched in a totalled body- I kept power steering for some last second maneuvering. The radiator and condensor turned into a parallelogram and never leaked.I can safely say the two belts saved my life. The highway is quite a stampede when your stopped right next to it feeling the breezes of a momentum taken for granted when inside the car doing the 65mph yourself. :confused:

That may explain the hurry the officers wre in about statements....

Anyway, since last photo , engine is waiting for another person so I can yank it out.Everything unbolted, and partially pryed from tranny. :)

I got the complete harness for spfi, snipped at the guages end of things like cel, oil, etc. got everything else tho.

Next is struts, transaxles (due to low mileage on them) and the tranny. I could even throw that 2wd tranny in any one of these gl/dl/loyales again if i run into 4wd woes. I broke a driveshaft once, and it took quite some time to even find a used one.Ive gone totally junk man, and lovin it :lol:

last day in driveway will have windshield, and 2 doors. I even saved the hood cable with a broken handle (better than completely broken).I bet I could fit it all in the back of the wagon. One engine in front and one in the back- it sure as heck "can haul its own weight" (pun intended) :grin:

My daily usmb support group thread.

Today I took out entire tower assembly- axles attached both sides,with lower arms. gas tank , y-pipe, rear hubs, fuel pump, brake booster and cylinder, power steering rack, and 4 wheels.

3 hours or so :)

Found some hidden rust on the 93 gas tank. I kept it remembering a failure on my friends GL 10 years ago when it was only 9yrs old (I just bought one that is 19yrs) . so keeping the regular stuff killed by rust and maine roads is a must do for the non-existent sube.

Will have a 2wd 5spd tranny out of the car, ready to go , very light to carry- for $50 and you pickup.I'll even throw in the shiny new muffler that cost me 40 (perfect for sedan- 2 months old)!

I have 10 straight wheels now :)

subepartshi2.jpg

dont presume those wheels are still straight until thats been proven..

i mean, if they look fine they probably are, but dont forget that they WERE in a wreck if, in the future, you experience an "odd wheel wobble problem that you cant figure out," yanno?

dont presume those wheels are still straight until thats been proven..

i mean, if they look fine they probably are, but dont forget that they WERE in a wreck if, in the future, you experience an "odd wheel wobble problem that you cant figure out," yanno?

The "tin can" sedan left all of it alone. If that were another vehicle I would be hurting. I glided to a stop, had hands on the wheel.Even pressed the brakes and saw the bright bulb of a lense broken, no wobbles. I was surprised to see the car still going straight in the spot the steering wheel normally sits. The body bent all around it .That is why I kept the stuff 4wds are known to eat here from this one.

I am letting the tranny go with the car- It may show up in some junk yard national inventory. I ate this car with no means for liability. Just have to grit my teeth so to speak and let it go. This 2wd is still my favorite with the little ea82 :) . I saved stuff normally alot to pay for or hard to get decently. Thanks for this threads responses- I don't talk much about an unpopular old sube to many except for here. It is funny the opposites I encounter with opinions sometimes- this place helped me get over the stupidity that prevailed.

I may have even more to babble about with the 87 gl just purchased...

there seems to be a power steering leak someplace low.....:)

Quicker than an 80's hubcap thief in the bronx :) .

Yes, you´re goin´ quick in resuscitate and revive your Loyale... :burnout: I think it´s Good Idea to give it a Second Chance to Live, and to improve it!

What a bad accident with an almost unbrained camaro´s driver; But the Good thing, is that You are O.K., no Damage to any Person involved... The Loyale did Sacrifice itself to save you, as it is designed, so I think it´s good Idea to resuscitate that car, and could be a Nice Project too...

Everything that happens, that first seems to be Bad, then with time becomes a Good thing that happened; so, this accident will give YOU good new things (Skills, improved car, etc... maybe spiritual or material things, or both) and good luck; and for sure, will give HIM (the unbrained Camaro´s Driver) a whole live of Bad Luck... (for ´the bad "Hit and Run" attitude) you know; it´s the Life´s Law: You´ll Harvest what you sown...

Anyhow: Good Luck! :)

I won't be rebuilding this one, it is destroyed. Here is the very last photo.

I had a pause of silence for a very good 18months and long drives and countless errands....13 years old and was going very strong. "Only the good die young" "Brainless camaro drivers keep living"

subeaccidentlastphotoug0.jpg

The plot thickens to reveal lies and deceipt...

I was moving my car tires, the tires that were on my wrecked sube.Something has eaten the rubber! I stuck my hand in it! The accident scene was right next to a giant landfill next to the highway. I clearly remember smelling it horribly- I even leaned towards my window cracked open to cram at least a few molecules of air in the car.What kind of chemical does this to a tire? Can it be found in a landfill site intentionally?

Would it explain the flat tire on the 20mph Honda going down the highway with a dead battery?

According to my insurance company I am paying for minimal damages. There is a truth missing and it is really bothering me.

subetirerottency9.jpg

This is photo of the rotting spot- completely odorless. Bizarre.

As a post mentioned there was a very slow Honda in front of me, and I found she had a flat tire after she pulled in behind me at the accident scene. She also had a very low battery.My car, nor the accident caused it. Was there something in the road attacking cars? Would it explain the weird driving on the camaros behalf? The exhaust of the camaro was also climbing into my car- clearly a catalyst convertor burn problem. I was almost dizzy with the bad air. The mystery goes on...