Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The opinions on an 86GL 4wd hi-lo?

I have a means to purchase, sight unseen at this point. what is real common problems unique to GL? I have learned the exhaust and other usuals need attention. This car has 4-hi and lo. The last time I saw this was on an ea81 sube wagon and it was problematic. The ea82 gen fix things? Truth would be great! Everything you dislike about your gl with hi-lo 4wd. :)

I have a DL, the loyale transmission, and i swapped in a dual range, there really is nothing to not like, just keep the coolant and oil full, and you shouldn't have any problems. If its carby that can be a bear in the winter when starting compared to the SPFI, and the fact that it only has 3 mains is an issue.

I have a DL, the loyale transmission, and i swapped in a dual range, there really is nothing to not like, just keep the coolant and oil full, and you shouldn't have any problems. If its carby that can be a bear in the winter when starting compared to the SPFI, and the fact that it only has 3 mains is an issue.

ok, cool,thanks for advice. So i won't need a bungi cord to keep it in 4-lo like the ea81 I remember. Hopefully the body won't brake like my dl or the carb stick below 32 degrees wide open. I do have spfi and a 2wd setup entirely, if need be I would swap it. Spfi is going to be a first swap. I really like it conservative/reliable . cold weather was excellent. I haven't got a personal look yet, but it is known to be sitting there inspected from a strict place. That is a Good sign :)

3 mains rule. 5 mains a need a v8.

I just got a close up look at a friends legacy gt yesterday (he apparently thought I was a mechanic on newer subes) . I looked up the po304 code it was throwing on the net and came up with the "misfire in #4 cyl" . The woman who drives it says it "jerks and jumps in the cold" We pulled some plug wires saturated in oil after taking the coolant looking reservoir out of the way.I wondered how it was labeled "limited" and "GT" without a turbo.wondered what it took to blindly get a plug out and in, or to clean the threads.That intake is huge for a little engine.The biggest change beside the 5 mains is the very powerfully flowing heads- I like that part of them alot.The plastic intake attracting all the dust was as warm as the engine. pleasant thoughts of my home made aluminum sheet metal induction would be a must have for me. Not that I will ever pay the high price for a label and mistakes. An ea82 with same top end (intake/head design) is 500cc away from it and less friction on 3 mains.I bet it would not only equal- but when torquing situations happened , especially in the longer runs, the 3 mains friction would slide away from an ej's demise. I will not just go with the stampeded opinion and thief game of book value, vs the real thing. Lets stand our grounds peacefully. I made my mind up a looong time ago."What if's" and "why" questions went thoroughly through my aching head and came up with reasons not good enough to like the 5 main boxer.3 mains forever. May it get a top end setup someday worth the power they could have acheived. :)

Like a 10 second vw beetle, I hardly dreamed.

What is your engineering background? on what basis have you come up with the opinion that 3 mains are better than 5? every engineer, and every mechanic i have ever asked, has stated without hesitation, that the more main bearings the better. The reason that the EA-82 can get away with 3 mains, is that there is no power to overload them. and the added friction is negligible as the width of the 5 mains are thinner than the 3 mains, so surface area is only marginably changed.

I like the EA-82 for what it is, or what it was, its the motor that got me into Subaru, but like FHI, i've updated and evolved, survival of the fittest, the EJ's will be on this earth long after the EA series is dead and gone.

I have a means to purchase, sight unseen at this point. what is real common problems unique to GL? I have learned the exhaust and other usuals need attention. This car has 4-hi and lo. The last time I saw this was on an ea81 sube wagon and it was problematic. The ea82 gen fix things? Truth would be great! Everything you dislike about your gl with hi-lo 4wd. :)

I think most people will tell you that the D/R transmissions are great. The EA81 4spd definitely wears out quicker, but the 5spd EA82 one is rock solid.

My 88 Wagon has it, and I love it. Did some snow drifting in 4-Lo yeterday night.

What is your engineering background?

Noah - it's clear to me (and probably to you) that there isn't any. Engineer's have to go to "school". The sentance structure (or complete lack of same) indicates little in the way of formal schooling. Sadly, I have to liken bdg's skills and methods to that of a psychic or or a shaman.... he could write journal papers on how *his* subaru works, but no one else would be able to replicate his results. Much like religion, with bdg's science, you have to be a beleiver. I've never been much of a joiner - clearly you aren't either. ;)

BDG - I think you need to start your own forum, as you posts around here are impacting the accurate flow of information. I'm not flaming you, I'm just sugesting that you read some "books" on engine theory and design before you haphazardly criticize subaru's engineering team - I'm betting they have a few degree's on the subject, and quite possibly know a thing or two. And if you think you know more - send them your resume and show them what you can do. I bet they would appreciate your assistance.

GD

Noah - it's clear to me (and probably to you) that there isn't any. Engineer's have to go to "school". The sentance structure (or complete lack of same) indicates little in the way of formal schooling. Sadly, I have to liken bdg's skills and methods to that of a psychic or or a shaman.... he could write journal papers on how *his* subaru works, but no one else would be able to replicate his results. Much like religion, with bdg's science, you have to be a beleiver. I've never been much of a joiner - clearly you aren't either. ;)

BDG - I think you need to start your own forum, as you posts around here are impacting the accurate flow of information. I'm not flaming you, I'm just sugesting that you read some "books" on engine theory and design before you haphazardly criticize subaru's engineering team - I'm betting they have a few degree's on the subject, and quite possibly know a thing or two. And if you think you know more - send them your resume and show them what you can do. I bet they would appreciate your assistance.

GD

The sentance structure (or complete lack of same) indicates little in the way of formal schooling.

I'm not perfect either, but I'm laughing on this one.:lol:

Can't we all just get along.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. Bgd's is certainly that 3 mains are better than 5. He's certainly entitled to that opinion. Everyone is being closed minded about the whole thing though, including Bgd. His lack of an engineering degree is in no way a reason to ignore him, however Bgd needs to realize there are many members here with engineering degrees that know more about the subject than he.

If we all can remember to keep an open mind about things, I think we can all get along.

This discussion on 5 vs 3 bearings was antagonized by Noah, when all's Bgd was asking had nothing to do with the 3 or 5 bearings. Highly unnecessary as Noah had to have known it'd incite an argument/debate.

Never have I seen such a peaceful person cause so much uproar. He likes 3 mains, I like them too. Yes it's underpowered, yes it keeps me from getting speeding tickets, yes it can tow a 7,000 lb truck, yes it can get 30 mpg. Yes an EJ can do all that (with the exception of the speeding ticket thing:grin: ) and then some. Don't mean to hi-jack a thread, but what's the most miles any of you have seen on an EJ?? Not saying an EJ can't get over 500,000 or anything... but I've never seen it documented.

The sentance structure (or complete lack of same) indicates little in the way of formal schooling.

I'm not perfect either, but I'm laughing on this one.:lol:

Can't we all just get along.

I said sentence "structure" not spelling. So... I can't spell all that well - I grew up with spell-check. Didn't stop me from getting A's in every english and writing class I took in college, where I got my degree in computer science with a minor in math.

GD

ok, enough 5 main quibble :mad: I would run one, not for the prices they hang onto. Anyway...

here is the gl I will be finalizing tomorrow- 500 bucks.

this is the bad side. Needs rockers and left interior wheel well work- I am familiar with the repairs needed, looking forward to them. Surprising shape for 20 years.all glass good.Under the hood was quite simple. The engine is the noisiest valve smackin ea82 yet, with 104k on odometer have another engine standing by.Owner claims its been sitting a long time, valve noise goes away. Heard no clicks from axles, engine bay decent with leaks.

It doesn't sag in the back, this is the way i parked it trying the "4lo" out.It sits rather high actually.Having had a pushbutton dl 4wd, the 4lo is a nice extra for some of the places I could go.Manual windows, no a/c and full guages on dash.

A sigh of relief considering what i just lost with my loyale.

86glsellspotsv6.jpg

here is console of dual range if you have never seen one

86glconsoledd5.jpg

Sweet. Wagons FTW!

Good luck with that beauty!

It did bring back some memories...

the vertical pit wall, the water deep enough to go over the hood...and oh yeah, that ice storm for the 100+ miles down the highway , and then that time I got 50 mpg for reasons never figured and then the camping trips without a tent and the that other time I....:grin:

I am enthused. Just found a place that may have rocker panels prebuilt. I only need one.... I have made one already, remember exactly how I did it. It ended up being a galvanized piece and a lamination that could hold a jump off a small cliff. But if I can buy one molded up already and add my extras...

Anyone know of a place that still has them in stock? If not, still no worries.

On topic or off topic, I have to say this.

If you read something someone has said, lets just say "3 main bearings are better," and you believe it right away then you must be a complete idiot. I'm not saying 3 are better then 5 or 5 are better then 3. I really couldn't give a rodents rectom... And who gets off saying that they need to filter out the "wrong" statments and keep the "right" ones, or words to the same meaning. There is no right or wrong. There is different, but not right or wrong. If you think you are right, that's not saying everyone must think that too. You are right to yourself. But not to me, or others.

The media, internet, books, etc, are full of information. I keep hearing people complaining about how the internet passes on wrong andmisinformation and everyone should read books and newspapers. What makes them better?? Just because to get published you have to right something a publisher agrees on, or something that is just plan crap and will sell for bucket loads. :rolleyes:

Do we now need a degree in everything or anything to post on the internet? What is going on here?

Let me say it again. If you believe anything you see on the internet, or even TV, newspapers, books, blah blah blah, without thinking about it for yourself and making up your own mind you are a complete......

I'll leave it at that. :rolleyes:

Personally I think more bearing the better. I'm not saying everyone should believe what I do. That's just stupid. Could you put away you huge ego's for a moment and just let people believe what they want. I'm just bored of reading this "bearing fight" in ever different part of the forum for the last month or so... You think if you type more you will win?? Is that it? It doesn't work, trust me. :-p

Oh and I also think the EA82 was a huge mistake. Replacing push rods for timing belts?? WAIST OF TIME! :lol:

Pushrod FTW!!!!! :headbang::headbang:

I could argue forever about the mains. Especially after rebuilding my own 5 main bearing v8s. Shared rod pin, makes a less than ideal crank for outrageous longevity, like a foreign engine often does, unlike v8s. There is a balance that cancels out torque, helps disperse it to the place of importance: the tranny. 3 mains mastered it in the ea82. After seeing the diesel ej motor, I have almost figured out thier paranoia about more mains. every action, reaction- the crank spinning needs the reaction close by for balance, like a boxer can. 5 mains or not, the balance is still there. I often think with no radio on-- hundred(s) of miles fly by, temp guage changes slightly through demands. More metal to metal for the job being done is not a necessity for the 5 main overthink.I am quite content at what is perfectly floating along with fantastically minimal consumption. The shared rod pin (journal) of every american v8 going to 1000+ horses and torque to match is a perfect example that a main between every cylinder is paranoid, and takes metal away from what actually gets "slammed" by piston chamber combustion.(http://93loyale.com/ejcrank.html ) Imagine if the rod journals did what an ea82 does in a v8? My dream engine (along with a 120 degree v block and said crank design for a v6). :)

Not to drift too far off subject.. how big of a 13 inch tire can I go for this gl? 185/80/13? I am thinking of the trails I used to go to already.

The media, internet, books, etc, are full of information. I keep hearing people complaining about how the internet passes on wrong andmisinformation and everyone should read books and newspapers. What makes them better??

Largely because it costs money to publish. Books are subject to review, and no one will pay to print them if they don't beleive they will sell. Strictly speaking, there's nothing stopping somoene from printing false information in any form of media. But if you want informed, largely (but never always) correct information, then you should consult printed books - especially textbooks, and scientific journals. You can't just read any old cult pamphlet and beleive it - you still have to be discriminating, and use common sense. But there are more checks and balances in the world of print, while virtually anyone can make a web site for a few pennies.

GD

I have seen some 185/80R13 snow tires before. But nothing bigger. So I would say that is the biggest you'll get. But you guys are lucky in the US. You get Pug mags.. Just grab a set of those :)

especially textbooks, and scientific journals.
We're on a car forum talking about cars.. As far as I know there isn't any "scientific journals" on what is the best thing to have in a engine. I could be very wrong as I could not be bothered looking for such book.

All the manuals I've owned for cars and bikes have had at least one mistake missing out something or stating a wrong "fact". And as far as I know this is about as technical as car books go.

The way I see it with engines is if it lasts 200,000KM and runs enough KW I am happy. Balanced or unbalanced, inline or v...

Who here feels compelled to provide the "correct" information and stat what is "wrong?" Can't you just leave it upto the reader to make up their own mind?

BGD: the steering wheel on that thing is GREAT.. its just like mine, and the two contact points of the A and at a great spot.. and the "nubs" at 10 and 2 on the steering wheel are AWESOME, because theres more than enough there to let your hand hit on that as if it were a solid spoke.. but then a slight relaxation of the grip, and it can slip right through your hand without coming close to as much movement as it would require to let a solid "spoke" through your hand... The only advice I have is to thoroughly inspect the frame around the windshield for rust. mines got bad rust spots there, and the rear windscreen (sedan) at one point could be pushed at one corner, to form a 1+ inch gap between glass and seal :eek:

Phiz: most cogent, peaceable, humanist post made on the 3 vs 5 bearing topic in the last six months. +1000.

GD: youre a smart guy, who contributes alot to this site, often in the form of correcting misinformation. That is appreciated, but as your own title says, you act like an rump roast sometimes.. When a debate like this has been going on, and it has reduced to each side stating their opinion and browbeating about it..

now, i dont want to direct any more of this at any ONE, and its not even necessarily about This person, This subject, This thread, or anything.. I just have a strong mediator complex in my personality makeup, and cant help but put my two bits in at this point.

It just needs to die!! :horse:

or at least joke about it, razz him, try to summon a drop of respect and put a bloody smiley icon in even if you dont mean it, just to help us all keep this atmosphere clear..

Whats worse than a forum that degrades to people being "jerks"?? havent we all quit reading a message board because it "degenerated into a bunch of jerks and uninformed idiots?" those idiots only stay uninformed because the attitude decreases to a point where "noobs" arent welcome, and anyone with thoughts differing from that accepted as holy canon by that group of car guys that do still frequent the forum is laughed out of town as an idiot.

And to anyone out there.. so our friend BGD has difficulties with clarity through a keyboard. Any of you talk to him on the telephone ever? meet him face to face? hear words coming out of his mouth, as opposed to those he is transposing onto a screen? People's brains utilize many differing modalities, you know.

okay, now lets compare the number of folks who have spoken to him voice-to-voice, with the number of people who feel in their own minds (regardless of posts) that he is a complete and utter fool. Hmm?? any of YOU folks belong on the previous list?

Peace is not a four letter word. Swallowing your pride and pretending to be funny about a jab, still lets you make the jab and put it on the record.. but it keeps the air smelling a little cleaner around here.

Noah, GeneralDisorder.. i like both of you alot. you both have good senses of humour, know ALOT MORE than most of us, and spend alot of your time helping us for no real good reason. There have been many times when you (and others) made statements that might fall under the umbrella im criticizing here. Many of those times, I have agreed with your points, and felt that the user being "browbeaten" was a few cards (or a few suits) shy of a deck.. it happens. The mild condescension is a useful way to communicate between the lines that you _probably_ know more about whats going on than the person having the problem does. but this main bearing thing has gotten alot more bile in the air than I (at least) feel belongs there. please accept that he cannot fully phrase all of his particular reasons to prefer a 3-main engine for himself, and avoid making him look like a dullard about it. Lots of use have made jokes about it over the course of the last few weeks, jokes are cool. Implying idiocy is not.

EDIT

And BGD.. a little more time spelling out what you mean, a little more effort in punctuation, and a proofread before you post a moderately complex thread, would help the issue as well. An insult against your poor sentence structure may or may not be over the top, but it is fairly justified.. sometimes its utterly beyond comprehension, even to those of us who can wade through your "accent" normally, yanno?

END EDIT

Let there be peace on the USMB? Let it begin here.:headbang:

185/80R13 should fit just fine. I have had those on every GL I have owned from my first Brat. :)

That does get it over the magical 2ft diameter. I just tried out 4lo on wet grass bald tires and a slight hill and wow. this thing could go places.I looked at title found it to be an 87 not an 86, and the egr stuff that plagued that generation on one head, is gone. It crossed the north american continent from an island of alaska.104161 little miles :)

4LO KICKS Butt!

:burnout: