Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The opinions on an 86GL 4wd hi-lo?

Yeah - I bet that was a fun trip.

Speaking of the lifter ticking, I'm betting she needs new oil pump seals, and maybe cam case o-rings. Maybe even a new oil pump.

I would hazzard a guess that the alaskan climate (low temperature) probably accelerated the wear factor due to high oil viscosity, and may have damaged some of the rubber for the seals more quickly.

GD

Yeah - I bet that was a fun trip.

Speaking of the lifter ticking, I'm betting she needs new oil pump seals, and maybe cam case o-rings. Maybe even a new oil pump.

I would hazzard a guess that the alaskan climate (low temperature) probably accelerated the wear factor due to high oil viscosity, and may have damaged some of the rubber for the seals more quickly.

GD

possibly. After driving it til warm for a few miles it calmed down to one familiar lifter noise. I checked the oil, it was 1+ quart down and very carbon black.My past subes made noise randomly starting at .25 qt down. Always thought it was dipstick not measuring correctly. This one could be the same, just don't know.

Hey, what would you put in tranny? it is all one case for dr and gears .. synthetic ok in an 87 or should I go with conventional. 85w90 whatever type it is, will be weight I use.

I also found a quart of dexron2 under the hood. The power steering must have a problem some place. That may be common, my friends 4wd did same thing- a bit more stress on this one to turn due to the rear end lsd.

I found a place that can have a rocker panel in a few weeks.

Another question is about the fuel lines and carb vs. fuel lines and spfi. Will the spfi fuel pump be ok giving more pressure on a gl's system of fuel lines?

other than these things it is no serious problems anywhere. have to attack rust right away is about it (same old stuff). Fenders are excellent, rear quarters need help as usual.brakes are spongy, but no wobbles. I did forget to check if it was power brakes or not,Building a list of chores...

I am soo happy to see you found something so fast after that dreadful thing that happened to your Loyale.. You seem very excited and happy!!:headbang: :headbang: :banana: :banana: :banana:

She is going to rock! I absolutely love EA82 wagons...life is good when one decides to become your friend/partner in crime/and family member... I know Bucky has been my bestest friend for over 3 years now...I just home he takes well to his new sibling soon.:rolleyes:

Hey what would an old sube maintainer do with the hitachi carb. I took one apart once to adjust the permanant non-adjustable electric choke to where I wanted, and cleaned out a "needle valve" seat to get a decent idle. I forget anything else- except for throttle sticking wide open om my 87 below freezing, in the prersence of moisture (like ice storms especially.) I lubed the heck out of it and it never worked. Is there a kit for these still around? any recommendations? I took the gl for a ride and like my dl, it was like having no throttle until the halfway point, and then the car moves. I fixed this on the dl with a new fuel pump @ 5-7 psi with a larger volume meant for something else but fit. What egr stuff can disapppear?

I like the spfi for many reasons, but the carb can go through hell and back if I know what I am doing with it.Would love a tip or two- I literally have the wiring harness of spfi , and ecu ready to strain my brain in a retrofit if I can't get something decent out of it. :)

The Hitachi's are crap. Especially the EA82 version, and most especially the EA82 feedback version.

I've rebuilt/fixed/maintained them for years now, and I still hate them. After using and building Weber's, I decided to throw away all my Hitachi's and parts. I can't even stand to look at them.

I'm going SPFI on all my rigs. And at some point a larger throttle body, and mega-squirt with crank fired ignition to eliminate the distributor. Built EA81 block with full FI and distributorless IG - totally waterproof for off-road.

GD

The Hitachi's are crap. Especially the EA82 version, and most especially the EA82 feedback version.

I've rebuilt/fixed/maintained them for years now, and I still hate them. After using and building Weber's, I decided to throw away all my Hitachi's and parts. I can't even stand to look at them.

I'm going SPFI on all my rigs. And at some point a larger throttle body, and mega-squirt with crank fired ignition to eliminate the distributor. Built EA81 block with full FI and distributorless IG - totally waterproof for off-road.

GD

I agree. The best luck i had with hitachi was not even a rebuild but cleaning and tightening things more than oem's "inch lbs" on the torque. I managed to hack the choke to give me the 5-700 idle with a coat hanger, and the best luck of all, which actually got me to like my hitachi was the 5-7psi fuel pump meant for a larger volume.the pump hung off the oem bracket that holds the fuel pumps due to its size. I can't remeber what pump it was from advance auto, but it was good and cheap. It was quiet and slower than oem, and doing more- not too much. Very lucky guess with that install. The dl with the hitachi i had started at -23F below with it installed and it even kicked down to normal like it was supposed to. I ended up jump starting several newer vehicles with all out fuel injection that day. Surprise Surprise. It was so cold the heat didn't work until cardboard was covering 75% of the radiator. I hope to get that same "luck" again. Too much/too little fuel pressure caved something in at carb and there was no start. It had to be just right- oem wasn't exactly it (3psi?). There is holley and webers with same cfm, and I don't believe 3psi is good for those either.

where I do have an spfi setup to retrofit, I may do that soon enough depending on a few other things.The hitachi on the gl doesn't have the anomoly to stick wide open. I never figured out that problem entirely on the dl- quite bizarre.After half throttle it could slam open all the way to the floor by itself as if someone took over and was trying to kill me with a perfect sabotage undecipherable . I never found the problem right up to the day I gave it away. I did have those crazy heads with the "asv"(?) on both cylinder heads. Bad news. when egr did its thing it no doubt took over the carb- at least that was the best guess. The gl has it on neither. The carb will be a pleasure, (possibly)

• 2 weeks later...

After a couple of days away from the addictive usmb, and yelling at GD. I feel better now. The GL is finally at home and it ran great for the 30 miles or so I drove it with a noisy exhaust. EGR is doing something wild, as this cars setup has no asv by oem and an spfi looking valve called "EGI", I will be doing the same to this as my others.Carb was damn near on fire to touch. A question for 4x4 owners is about the front hubs getting sloppy. I feel it in the right front one like my dl, complete with a creaking noise when pressing the brake. I have another setup entirely to swap out quickly if need be, unless I get advice on what the slop is.To me, the obvious is outer bearings. The alignment is great, and I did note the front right wheel tire is a bit smaller than the rest on the car.Got another winner! it was a good purchase.:)