Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The WRs are all season tires that meet the Severe Winter rating, and they carry the snowflake-on-mountain symbol. I have about 1500 miles on a set on my '99 Outback, but no snow/ice experience with them. They are a bit imprecise on dry roads.

The folks that recomended them to me (my brothers) say they compare well to unstudded snow tires in winter, but do not equal Blizzaks.

Do not compare the WRs to Blizzaks, that is not a fair comparison. Blizzaks are dedicated, no compromise winter tires. We run Blizzaks on our minivan and they kick butt in snow, ice and slush. A better comparison would be Nokian Hakkapelitas, of which there are many varieties. Studded Hakkas are supposed to the best winter tire you can get.

I need new tires for my 2000 Legacy and I am thinking of putting Nokian WRs on. Does any one have experience with these tires? I had not ever heard of them until someone recommended them to me.

We put them on our Mazda MPV. I have Nokian RSI's on our Subaru. My wife doesn't drive enough to warrant two sets of wheels and tires; Boston doesn't get all that much snow; but we live on a hill so we need above average traction. The WR seems perfect for our use.

I found many people on legacyGT.com who use them. Many people use them as dedicated snows as well.

In German auto club (ADAC) tests, they performed quite well against many dedicated snows. They are quieter and have a treadwear warranty. And they look like this:

nokianwr.jpg

While the dedicated snow, no UTCQ rating RSI looks like this:

nokianrsi.jpg

Could you elaborate on this? Do you have trouble stopping or do you have weird sliding issues or anything? I don't really know anything about tires and I've never bought any before.

No, nothing like that. They are perfectly adequate for normal driving, but they are not high-performance tires.

They just don't handle on dry roads quite as well as the better all-season tires. This is due to soft compound, deep tread and large tread blocks. Those features make them good in bad weather. The tires squirm a little bit, and there is a slight sloppiness when turning. Most people wouldn't notice that, but us car nuts do.

However, the WRs do handle dry roads much better than Blizzaks. The Blizzaks are very squirmy on dry, but they stick like glue on snow and ice.

Tires are always a compromise. If you want to handle snow and ice well, you give up some dry road performance. And vice-versa - racing slicks are REALLY bad in the snow! If you want ultimate performance under all conditions, then you need to have multiple sets of tires and swap them as needed.

I need new tires for my 2000 Legacy and I am thinking of putting Nokian WRs on. Does any one have experience with these tires? I had not ever heard of them until someone recommended them to me.

HI!

I bought a set of 4, back in April. I returned them in a couple of weeks! I have a '97 GT wagon, that takes 205/55/16 tires. The Gt has heftier suspension than "Normal" Subee's. When I put these WR's on I saw an instant down grade in drive feel! I returned them! They are also only a 60K mile tire.

I got GoodYear Assurance Triple treads. MUCH better! They are a 80K tire!

My 2 Cents! Ted

HI!

I bought a set of 4, back in April. I returned them in a couple of weeks! I have a '97 GT wagon, that takes 205/55/16 tires. The Gt has heftier suspension than "Normal" Subee's. When I put these WR's on I saw an instant down grade in drive feel! I returned them! They are also only a 60K mile tire.

My 2 Cents! Ted

If you don't live where there's a lot of snow and can't have dedicated snows, the WR is not for you.

The WR has a thicker tread than most tires when new. If you'd kept them a month, and inflated them properly, you would have had a different experience. They were developed for European drivers who drive down the Autobahns at high speed then must negotiate Alpine passes where ice and snow is common.

Here's a review: http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/hl/nokian.htm

The contact patch on the GT isn't any larger (there's no room) - they just did the "+1" and put lower aspect ratio tires on taller rims. As the car isn't very powerful anyway, and older cars aren't usually pushed very hard, most drivers would not notice the slower acceleration and slower suspension response that comes from such tires. the same things was done on the 06 Outbacks, that went to 17" rims from 16. The BBS rims I replaced the stock 5 spokes with weigh 4lbs less per rim.

The TripleTred is not a Severe duty Snow rated tire. The WR is. In fact, the WR is often tested versus dedicated snows - with no treadwear rating. The TripleTred is not the best handling all season nor the best in ice and snow. It is a compromise like any other all-season, and has a cool looking assymetrical tread.

You get tread life with harder compounds. Harder compounds do not stick as well as softer compunds. The Tripletred attempts to solve this problem with three different compounds. It will be interesting to see how people like them once they get 40,000 miles plus on them.

HI!

I bought a instant down grade in drive feel! I returned them! They are also only a 60K mile tire.

My 2 Cents! Ted

An 80k tire? What is it with you guys? The sidewalls will be cracked long before the tread wears down. Both equally dangerous! Thease are TYRES, they stick you to the road! They are expendable, Good ones don't last forever, unless you drive like you're ready for the knacker's yard !

An 80k tire? What is it with you guys? The sidewalls will be cracked long before the tread wears down. Both equally dangerous! Thease are TYRES, they stick you to the road! They are expendable, Good ones don't last forever, unless you drive like you're ready for the knacker's yard !

I'll second this, as well as the previous WR comment.

Why on Earth would you buy an 80K tire? In order to make a tire run that long, the manufacturer has to use a harder, less resilient rubber. I did this once and changed them out after a few months. These tires cannot have nearly the traction, dry or wet, of a softer 40-60K tire.

The WR may be slightly less precise driving tire than a high performance 3 season street tire because it's an all weather tire. It may be the only severe duty (terminology??) tire available right now. It's a full four season high perfomance tire. Yes, there are some compromises, but it can be run four seasons and it will still outperform many dedicated snow tires.

Personally, I considered the WR, but elected to run high performance tires (Yoko AVS Sports) three seasons and hakka snows for ultimate traction all year. Please don't denegrade the WR without realizing what it really is. If you need to drive in the snow and want only one set of tires, it's a great tire.

Nokian winter capable tires typically have softer sidewalls to help them conform the the frozen winter surfaces and being in the right range for tire pressure is critical to good performance. Initially, I did not like the Hakka snows, but once I brought the pressures up, they performed admirably.

Jack

I'll second this, as well as the previous WR comment.

Why on Earth would you buy an 80K tire? In order to make a tire run that long, the manufacturer has to use a harder, less resilient rubber. I did this once and changed them out after a few months. These tires cannot have nearly the traction, dry or wet, of a softer 40-60K tire.

The WR may be slightly less precise driving tire than a high performance 3 season street tire because it's an all weather tire. It may be the only severe duty (terminology??) tire available right now. It's a full four season high perfomance tire. Yes, there are some compromises, but it can be run four seasons and it will still outperform many dedicated snow tires.

Personally, I considered the WR, but elected to run high performance tires (Yoko AVS Sports) three seasons and hakka snows for ultimate traction all year. Please don't denegrade the WR without realizing what it really is. If you need to drive in the snow and want only one set of tires, it's a great tire.

Nokian winter capable tires typically have softer sidewalls to help them conform the the frozen winter surfaces and being in the right range for tire pressure is critical to good performance. Initially, I did not like the Hakka snows, but once I brought the pressures up, they performed admirably.

Jack

If I was concernd mostly about Ice and Snow driving. I would simply get a set of TRUE winter tires, then of course a set of summer tires. About the 80K thing....it IS the 21 Century! I hope that someone would improve tire technolgy just by the passing of time. We've had 60K tires now for decades! Besides, I think that Michelen has a 80K tire for years!

I have been running Nokian Hakka tires for two seasons on my 92 Legacy and will never go back to a all season tire in the winter. There was a huge differance in all adverse weather conditions typical of northern Michigan. A much more secure feeling while driving at high speeds in slush, ice, and snow. I am sure the WR tires would be a good choice.

About the 80K thing....it IS the 21 Century! I hope that someone would improve tire technolgy just by the passing of time. We've had 60K tires now for decades! Besides, I think that Michelen has a 80K tire for years!

Nope, not yet. It's still a trade off of adhesion versus mileage and likely always will. Kind of like performance (WRX STi) or mileage (Base Impreza). Pick which one you want.

As for the 80k mile tires, please go buy one and drive it for a year. If you demand any kind of performance from your car, and I believe you do, since you drive a GT, you will be sorely dissapointed. A softer tire can mold itself around the irregularities in the road surface (wet or dry) and provide better grip regardless of compound. To make a tire go for 80k miles, it has to be a hard compound or it will wear away too quickly.

My Mother-in-Law drives a Corolla like the older lady she is. I would not let her buy high mileage tires (I offered to pay the difference) because they won't stop as quickly as a performance tire and she definitely needs all the stopping advantage she can have.

Remember, you have four small patches of rubber between you and the ditch. Harder compounds not only won't corner as well, but they won't stop as well either. If you are like me, you spent extra for the GT because it is lower, faster and better handling than the Outback or regular Legacy. Why come up short on the one item which is not only a performance item, but a safety one too?

Jack

• 3 weeks later...

Jack

Jack, can you elaborate on what you mean by increasing the pressures? What did you set them to?

Thanks!

I can highly recommend a set of Michelin snow tires. I have them on a rear drive Mitsubishi van and it is amazing in the snow. They are considerably softer then normal tires. I found I have to run them at full pressure when the roads a dry to get and speed and better milage. I air them down when there is snow on the roads to get better traction. There is noticable difference in the size of the contact patch with the pressure down. This should be the same for other snow tires like the Hakkas. I think this what Jack is talking about.

I had the Goodyear triple treads on my 98 Legacy GT and they were dissappointing to the say the least. I suppose they will be okay in the snow, but i was not impressed at all in the ride and handling department. They were very vague and didn't like any speed at all in the corners.

Perchance and unenlighted question, but do you really need snow tires on a Subaru? A good set of all season tires ought to be adequate. I remember taking my GL up a snow covered mountain in December on the stock bridgestones.

I Suppose if you plug your car in before you go to bed then you probably do need snow tires.:)

Make sure you 4 of whatever you decide. Your drivetrain will thank you.

I drive 30K+ miles a year. I cant imagine the sidewalls cracking in less than 3 years.

I like the TTs, although I agree they are a compromise and arent the best handlers... nor the best at anything really. But they get the job done in any situation I've put them in. Thats what I was going for. Its not like I expect to win a drag race, a hill climb, or an autocross with the Lesbaru..

If I can get two years of use out of them I'll be happy. Anyone who isnt alright with "below average in all seasons" should get 2 sets of tires.

I love Nokians. I had an old set of what became the WRs on my 96 Legacy and I could go anywhere. I have them on my other car. The other posters are correct that they will give you a mushier road feel, as the sidewalls are not as stiff. I can imagine that, on a GT, they would be a bummer. Having lived in Vermont, I eventually made the decision that the Subie didn't need winter tires at all. Unless you are facing some really burly weather, you might want to go with more of an all season Nokian with stiffer sidewalls to handle dry roads better.

////Perchance and unenlighted question, but do you really need snow tires on a Subaru? A good set of all season tires ought to be adequate. I remember taking my GL up a snow covered mountain in December on the stock bridgestones. ////

Simply put, an AWD vehicle does not stop or turn any better on snow or ice than anything else.

Two winters ago after driving my OBW with A/S, our Honda Accord V6 with Nokian RSI's, and another Accord with A/S back to back in a snow storm, the three of us who took part all went out and purchased dedicated snows.

If you don't drive much or live where there isn't much snow, YMMV. We live in Boston, which only gets about 50" of snow a season, but live on a big hill and drive a lot throughout Northern New England.

• 10 months later...
I drive 30K+ miles a year. I cant imagine the sidewalls cracking in less than 3 years.

That would be unusual in three years. However, three years is the considered average life span of the rubber in tires, regardless of mileage. This according to the expert at NTW. A few weeks back, a minivan blew an old tire, it rolled,two people were killed. Replacing tires every three years (at least for cars driven frequently), seems like wise advise.

• 4 months later...