Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Long time reader, first time poster.

I have a '95 Subaru Outback (really a legacy with a sticker).

A few months back it started having, for lack of a better term, 'jerky' steering.

So it would be tough to turn then it would get real easy as the turn progressed.

It was not much of an issue, and it was intermittment, so I didn't do anything about it.

Then we got our first cold spell of the season (live in New England) and it got much worse.

Still drivable, but a noticeable concern.

I have read a bunch about the steering issues, but the change with cold weather threw me.

Any ideas?

Thanks a ton,

Ryan

Hi Valijean and welcome! A few things to check might be make sure fluid level is not low and belt is not slipping. Another thing might be to replace the PS fluid which on Suby's at least of this year is just Dexron ATF; something available retail that would work is Mobil1 syn ATF (syn might be good for the cold weather issue). I use amsoil syn atf works like a dream.

You can't get all the old fluid in one swap so you either have to disconnect the return line and pump it thru (but this is difficult because of the rate at which the pump sucks fluid at idle - it actually decreases as rpms go up). Or you can buy say 3-4 quarts of the Mobil1 syn ATF, suck out the old fluid with a suction pump (harbor freight has a nice cheap one for like $6), add new fluid, let it run for a minute, and repeat until all your new Mobil1 is gone. Otherwise your pump or rack might be seeking early retirement.

A few months back it started having, for lack of a better term, 'jerky' steering.

So it would be tough to turn then it would get real easy as the turn progressed.

It was not much of an issue, and it was intermittment, so I didn't do anything about it.

Then we got our first cold spell of the season (live in New England) and it got much worse.

I have read a bunch about the steering issues, but the change with cold weather threw me.

Any ideas?

Thanks a ton,

Ryan

When you turn the steering wheel slightly back and forth while moving does it feel like the tires are out of balance?

No.

It is just very hard to turn, then it gets much easier.

It is better now as we are having a warm spell.

But, being Boston, it will get very cold again soon.

Ony my way to Autozone now, I'll try the steering fluid first.

quote=cannonball]When you turn the steering wheel slightly back and forth while moving does it feel like the tires are out of balance?

Quick quesiton on steering fluid removal.

So I sucked out the contents of the fluid reservior, refilled it, ran the car, and then repeated this process four more times.

Ended up putting in a new quart and a half of power steering fluid.

Is this enough?

How much power steeering fluid does it hold?

This may be a dumb question, but howdo I inspect the rack?

Two possabilites....1- the universal joint in the sterring column is shot.

2- the rack is bad if it does it when cold. and the full lock cant be acheived, but when warm is normal.

nipper

Any ideas?

Thanks a ton,

Ryan

Rack inspection is more of a sympton thing then an inspection. First you rule out the pump, fluid, and universal joint.

The symptons you describe (worse when cold especially) are indicitive of the seals in the rack being tired. When the seals are cold, they shrink. The seals already leaking when warm, are leaking much more when cold. Once the fluid warms up it becomes a less of a problem. I think your rack is tired.

http://www.car-stuff.com/subarusteeringrack.htm

nipper

If it turns out to be the steering rack, of course, replacement is your best course of action. However, almost a decade's worth of GM FWD cars suffered from this malady when worn- the nickname for the symptom was "morning sickness" due to the problems surfacing when the car was first started cold. There are some power steering fluid additives made for the GM problem...might work on the Suby.

Good luck,

Nathan

No.

It is just very hard to turn, then it gets much easier.

It is better now as we are having a warm spell.

But, being Boston, it will get very cold again soon.

Ony my way to Autozone now, I'll try the steering fluid first.

quote=cannonball]When you turn the steering wheel slightly back and forth while moving does it feel like the tires are out of balance?