Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wheel hop is bad, Mm-Kay!

Differential carnage! Blew the snots out of my rear diff. I had noticed it had been whining, and I don't think the oil was ever changed in the 160k miles. Spun a wheel on dirt, it caught the pavement and hopped, then PING! The shattered pieces got stuck in the ring gear, I had to push the car backwards to free it. I nursed it home 2 miles before it completely stipped, Real nasty noises, and it locked twice. Had to be towed the last 1/2 mile.

Took it out, took it apart, shredded the teeth off of 3 of the spider gears, only 1 tooth off of the 4th. Dented the pinion up good, and snapped the Spider gear cross shaft into 3 pieces. The carrier cracked where the cross shaft used to go through.

The oil was all sparkly from metal shavings, and the magnetic plug had a forest growing off of it.

Whoops. glad I have a spare.

Put my spare diff in, had to use the stubs from the blown diff, I couldn't for the life of me get the stubs to come out of the axel cups on the spare diff.

No more burnouts on big tires with old rear shocks.

I can't get the axels on or off without dropping the diff. I thought that you could get enough slack by jacking the body up till a wheel was off the ground?

You don't have to drop the diff on stock ride hieght loyals. Just take out the lower shock mount bolt. I had to really push down on the drivers side rear wheel (with my leg) to get the axle to slide off the splines but with a friend it is a piece of cake. Beats the heck out of dropping the diff. For some reason the drivers side is always the harder one. Good luck