Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel problem late 80s spider XT4 motor

Copied and pasted for a second opinion, or rather just more opinions :banana:

Ok, So Rick put a XT4 into a 2nd gen wagon. and the fuel pump doesnt run. The circuit is rather basic, switched power from the fuse box signals the relay then grounds through the computer.. That switches Green fusable link constant power, connecting to one side of the fuel pump. The fuel pump is also grounded through the computer. I've checked the computer grounds about 4 times, they are all good. Problem is that the computer is not grounding the relay OR the pump.

Oddities:

~The car ran off magic for a total of about 30 seconds.

~When you put power to the car, the ECU shoots out a code 42 (Idle switch) instantly, without running.

Basically if I ground out the switch side of the relay AND the ground to the fuel pump, the pump will run. My though is that the ECU might be bad. Rick reports the car he got thhe setup from had 180k miles and no body damage and what looked to be some new parts.

The other thought is that the wiring went south somewhere, worst case, can I just ground both and let the pump run? Any thoughts on a bad ECU?

someone inform us what the fix was. i swapped a non-turbo EA82 into my 87.5 XT Turbo and the fuel pump wouldn't run as well.

tell phil to please inform! i'll be attacking this car again shortly and would like to know what they ended up doing.

Rigged it:banana:

The ECU wasn't grounding the pump OR thhe pump relay, so I told Rick to ground both. The pump now runs when ever the key is in the run position.

tell him to be careful and use good wire and connections. i did the same. then smoke started billowing inside while i was driving down the road....then really thick smoke...then red embers were seen. luckily no damage, no harm except breathing in bad bad carpet smoke for a few seconds.

tell him to be careful and use good wire and connections. i did the same. then smoke started billowing inside while i was driving down the road....then really thick smoke...then red embers were seen. luckily no damage, no harm except breathing in bad bad carpet smoke for a few seconds.

No problem... No carpet. Plus he used a good gauge of wire, and I used 14 gauge to power it:banana: