Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just Got a Subaru

Hey guys, my name is Conrad. I live in Bellevue, Wa and just recently bought a 1983 Subaru GL Wagon to be my winter vehicle and mountain goat. I have been looking for a cheap subaru for a while and found this car on craigslist. The ad said it only drove in 4WD and needed some work. My buddy Galen (carfreak) and I checked it out...thinking it was just a broken axel. Another member Ed gave us some great advice and told us to put the car in 2WD...let out the clutch and try to drive it. If the axel spins but the wheel doesn't its probably a broken hub. The car did exactly that, but otherwise drove well. I offered the lady $200 bucks for it and drove it home that day. Upon further inspection I realized not only was the hub bad, but the rotor was grinded away and the caliper was shot. I'm guessing the previous owner crashed it into a ditch. After ac couple junk yard runs, 2 axels, 2 tie rod ends :mad: , a hood, a control arm, a rotor, caliper, and hub later we have a drivable car that needs an alignment.

I just took it for a spin and even though I bled the brakes the pedal is still very mushy, and the car makes a grinding noise when I brake....I think its the drums. Also, the car will start up fine, idle a little high at first but after I've been driving it 5 min and take it out of gear the idle slowly drops until the car dies. Any ideas as to what's causing that?

The car is a work in progress but will hopefully be roaming the streets this week. Here are some pics for your enjoyment:

The finished product

F:\Pictures\Car Pics\Subaru\IMG_3824

Some front end damage. The bumper is so bent the cover is held on by wire.

F:\Pictures\Car Pics\Subaru\IMG_3825

RED PIMP INTERIOR! Does anybody know how to get a seat from the E82's to fit in my car?

F:\Pictures\Car Pics\Subaru\IMG_3826

Old parts

F:\Pictures\Car Pics\Subaru\IMG_3827

My garage kept baby with the soob outside

F:\Pictures\Car Pics\Subaru\IMG_3836

couple of things you can do for it. Cheap easy way is to get some carb cleaner and spray it down the carb with the car running. Another is to use that cleaner and spray around the base of the carb and intake gaskets as these are usual areas of vacuum leaks which could cause an engine to do what you described. If the idle picks up when you do this you found your leak. Good luck.